MK1 Replica... is this fine to do?

Leave the windows in and duct some free flowing air into the cockpit - at anything over 20mph you have plenty airflow (up to 30 degree outside temp - after that you will get hot even with a window out

Ian

This is probably the best and most effective route. Open the NACA ducts on the front clip and, assuming the proper ducting isn't already in place (RCR has the ducting in place I believe, and ERA has a full fresh air system) add it in to vent the air into the cabin. Then you can use the "toll booth" flaps to vent the flow back out (ERA has a very nice roof vent set up).

Ian

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
..if you do that and use a power screwdriver you can probably take a windows off in 30 seconds.

I've often wondered why 40 builders don't use small Dzus type fasteners to hold the windows in place...no tools needed to remove, perhaps a bit "bulky" in appearance, but certainly easier than attacking 25 slippery screws with a power screwdriver in a rainstorm :stunned: .

Cheers from Doug!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I've often wondered why 40 builders don't use small Dzus type fasteners to hold the windows in place...no tools needed to remove, perhaps a bit "bulky" in appearance..!

Interesting idea; how small do they get?

Another thought that I haven't persued is that the window could be held in narrow longitudinal tracks and made to slide out front-wards, with some simple latch mechanism at the front to retain it.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Fit these original style eyeball vents and job done !

Attachments

• Eyeball 1.jpg
    Eyeball 1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 297
  • Eyeball 2.jpg
    Eyeball 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 246
The Dutch Donkervoort D8 GT also uses a interesting side window idea :idea:

Donkervoort-D8-GT-grey.jpg

you can flip them open and lock them also on a simple way

m1cyjubblehg_800.jpg

m1dyw38b1shf_800.jpg

can't find a close up but it works simple and "good" saw it also upclose when I visit their factory a few years ago.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Charlie u answered my next question already... I always liked the circle air vents (like the one on the 2005 GT), and wondered if that can be put in the Replica... obviously its yes since you just said it.

Thanks!

I mean interior wise anything can be done right?

I did fall inlove with the GT style seats, those nice silver hole things, the elegant looking dash with the gauges as they are... I mean... that can be done for the GT40 to an extent right?

the look a bit yes, also some other cars have that system ala Mclaren F1 but the Donkervoort D8 GT is different, it has those looks but don't sink into the door, there are 2 hinges? on top and 2 little locks on the underside, unclip those and you can swing the little windows open without opening the door (wich can look great also ;-) )
but I think its also difficult to make leakfree when you do that in those plastic windows.
The Mclaren F1 style will do better? but then you need to build also a system in the door with gliders etc, but since its been just little windows inside the bigger window it can be made all compact.

mc-laren-f11.jpg

Last edited:
George, You appear to have a broad range of thoughts on how YOUR GT40 will look. Its been said on this forum many a time.....if you've got the time, money and skill (or skilled craftsmen) you can do just about anything you want. Good Luck and post plenty of pics.

The Donkervoort has a sort of system like the old 2CV French car, you could also do something like that in a part (bottom part) of the GT40 side window.

100_4628.jpg

100_4630.jpg

sorry for all the pictures but I wanted it to point out :D
the 2CV was also made light and cheap so they came with that window solution.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Another (theoretical) option is simply to hinge the entire window along any of it's four sides and let it pivot outwards, or inwards with some serious design work. I've never seen anyone do that, however.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Or we can just open the air vents and side little square pocket on the window and not worry about the whole mess you can run into trying to work out how to make it work and just leave it as it is.

I definately dont like the split window look of the Mclaren F1.

I like the propper windows like the Pagani Zonda, Enzo Ferrari, Ford GT etc... that split wndow stuff is just weird.

Back