Mondelo Transaxels, PRI Show

I was at the PRI show here in Orlando, went by the Mondelo transaxel booth and they have a street transaxel with helical cut gears for a street/kit car application coming out in March '06. Price is about 10-11K US and rated for 750 HP. Naturally it was hooked to a chevy engine and the kid working there couldn't answer questions about engine adapters for Fords, Wayne

The company is indeed Mendeola. The big question with this model is length - will it fit in a GT 40 ot a Lola T70? Haven't gotten measurements, but I've heard they are about 31/32 inches from bell face to tail end.

Ron Earp

Admin
Looks like a G50 spline with 930 hub patterns. So, paybe they fixed this thing up to bolt to an existing bellhouing, like use for the Porsche/Ford or Chevy adapters? They are expensive but if they really handled the power with no issue might be worth it. I'll bear it in mind after my Audi experiment!

Ron

Ron
on Mendeola's website there is a PDF drawing with all dimensions and down in the corner of the drawing there is a note that says "will use Kennedy Engineered adapter kits". The S series is sequential shift! 750hp and slap shifting!
$11,000 isn't that out of line anymore!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Forget the Mendeola guys. It's way to large for the GT40. It's roots are offroad use. In addition they are heavier than most of you would like.

Similar to the Mendeola is the Fortin Racing trans, also offroad origin. It's smaller, lighter and stronger than the Mendeola but still will not fit in a GT40. I have one and I tried that option /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Another option I would like to see someone try, if price is no object, would be a Quaife

Look here http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/pdf/S4S5_Specs.pdf Tip to bell is 31 3/4". The G50/52 sitting in my garage is 27/28" plus the shift shaft. I would venture to guess that with the Cable shift off the back ala Rick Merz or Lynn Larson the overall length will be the same. The Mendeola has a fore and aft motion sequential shifter on the side of the case so even if the trans tip is at the bodywork you won't have to look at a cable shift which adds to the G50 length anyway. It will be a damn tight fit for the Mark I and II but easy fit for RCR's P4, T70, MKIV as they have more room in the back.

These are dune buggy units, the gear ratios are for acceleration, that's about it. These will not fit well in a Mk I. For that kind of coin, there are many alternatives.

Chris

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Mendeola sequential 4 speed, every bit of 32+ inches long.

Attachments

• 75143-Mendeola.JPG
    75143-Mendeola.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 1,117

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My g50\52 at 26" long. Picture adding another 6" to fit a Mendeola /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Attachments

• 75144-g501.JPG
    75144-g501.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 1,014

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
And if length wasn't the issue, if you look closely, there are other issues involve with the Mendeola that won't allow use in a GT40 without major modifications.

Tim

Is you car running?! Way cool! Did you shorten the bell on your G50/52? I agree the Mendeola would verge on silly to stuff it in the MK1 but I personally think anything over 550hp and torque is for hero's or pissin' rights, because I wouldn't be able to use it! I am referencing Ricks car which had the G50/52 and the cable shift out the rear as you saw in person. I have a G50/52 with a stock bell that measures just over 27"plus the shift shaft which I estimated to add about 3" with the cable. In this scenario, 31" would have cleared my bodywork.

How heavy is the Mendeola?

When is your narley beast going to hit the road?

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Andy,

Yes, the bell housing was shorten 1" and a modified nose piece. If you look across the other side you'll see the top of the side shifter housing.

The weight on the Mendeola(4 speed), if my memory serves me, is about 150-160 lbs, plus oil.

The progress on my project is now moving at a great pace and should be on the road by May. Can't wait to run it. I'll be posting progress soon.

Sometimes I could just kick myself for not buying Rick's car when I had the chance. I am basically mimicking his car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Howard,
Even you can flip the trans, not sure what mods would have be done to the bell housing due to the area dedicated to the starter mounting area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Transaxle weight

aladinsane said:
Hi Andy,

The weight on the Mendeola(4 speed), if my memory serves me, is about 150-160 lbs, plus oil.

Just wondering the weight of the G50/52 vs 930 vs ZF 5 speed? Anybody help me out on this? Thanks.

charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Does anyone know if the S would fit in a CR Lola T-70 - seems like it would be a good choice for road racing ? Not sure what if any LSD is available ?

There is Quaffer out there but they are $K.

I am in the planning stage of a Lola T-70 build and it appears the transaxle is the major decision you need to make up front. My previous experience was with FFR cobra and the transmission was easy just get a TKO-600 and a built 8.8 or 9 in rear end.

I know the Mendel will fit in a Group 7 from Active Power since Chris says he had designed around it. This car is still a little ways a way though.

Charlie

I have chatted with Mendeola for the last three years on their transaxles...nice piece but pricy....

There are many options available from Mendeola....the lead time can sometimes be a little lengthy too.
The S4/5 sequential would be a cool addition to any car...

The transaxle will fit nicely in the RCR70's....

The other trans of choice is the ZF or 930....the ZF is priced lower than the Mendeola....and the 930 less still....just an FYI

charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Fran

Glad to know they fit your car.

I have only driven a couple of hundred laps around Lime Rock with a sequential but they were enough to convince me that if I could pull it off a sequential is the way to go.

I will contact mendeola about options and bolting to an LS-7 crate motor.
Should make a really nice track package that is easy to support.

Thanks Charlie

Back