More Difficult Questions Needed....

Finish this sentence "Take your ipod and..."

More seriously, questions like "John y" etc should be easy for a human with some knowledge to work out but don't make much sense logically.

Tim.

The spammers are highly sophisticated (obviously) and the spam technology mostly does not require human involvement, despite seemingly needing it. One recent development includes the automation and inclusion of ranked search results and word association in the defeat of security questions - in other words, the spam software can parse out the security question, then look around the web using various ranking criteria (word association and search rankings) to come up with the most likely answer. At least that's how my CTO colleague describes it (to my non-technical ears). So, a question that doesn't have a likely answer based upon word association might be helpful??? Maybe something like "What's the third digit to the right of the decimal point in the square root of [fill in some number]?" Although, I see Neil's suggestion above to stay away from numeric answers......hhhhhmmmmmm.....

Ron Earp

Admin
If a greyhound shits in a hotel room, and there is no one there to smell it, does it still stink?

Yes
No

Would this be on a race weekend or non-race weekend cause that will determine if I'm there or not.

If a race weekend then I'm probably there and yes, it would smell since he generally shits on my side of the room. That also means I won't get a clean towel since the towel would have been used by you to pick up the pooh. Then I have to go to the track dirty and I don't race as well when unclean.

Ron, you haven't lived until you roll out of bed in the morning and skunk crap emerges from between your toes. Just ask my Ex...

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Just like they asked Sir Gallahad at the Bridge of Doom:

What's your favorite color?

Answer: Blue, no Red......agggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I vote for the following:

What does FAV stand for?
What is Carroll's last name?
Who was the first John W?
Who was the SECOND John W?

Ron, I would also rotate the questions every now and again.

And lastly:

Of the 135 original GT40s built, how many now survive?

(answer: 160) (grin)

Just a few ideas....

1. A mark IV version GT40 won a major fench race in 1967 which version won the same race the subsequent year?
2. What Oil company were Ford GT's closely associated with?
3. For what was Spain associated with the Ford GT?
4. Name the two most famous GT40 colors.
5. Name by Surname a cantankerous old retired Chicken Farmer.
6. Only some cars are worthy of being copied, what was knocked off the most from the GT40?
7. The GT40 was designed and built in the UK, which hand would you use to change the gears in a GT40?
8. How many nostrels options were there for the GT40?
9. Was the GT40 front/rear or four wheel drive?
10. Which country produced the GT40 gearbox that enabled a prolift track record?

Steve

What about using a phrase which an actual person would equate to a phone number but the spammer's machine wouldn't know what to do with? For example,"type in the phone keypad digits that equate to 1-800-eat-sh*t". That would not require specific historic knowledge for the new member. It wouldn't eliminate the 'hands-on guy' but any of them relying solely on a machine would be eliminated.

How many tires did a Le Mans race ready GT40 have? (remember the spare)
How many trunks did a rece ready GT40 have? (Two silver boxes)

I spent about 6 months helping a friend deal with spam on his forum and we found the only significant reduction occured when we banned all IP addresses from China and South Asia - where maybe 80% of the spammers originated.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, Often when I post to blogs, an encrypted security code is aked for. Normally a combination of letters and numbers both upper and lower case.
Something like this 2CkcVS. You have to type it in before your comment is accepted. I have no idea of the cost of the software required.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, Often when I post to blogs, an encrypted security code is aked for. Normally a combination of letters and numbers both upper and lower case.
Something like this 2CkcVS. You have to type it in before your comment is accepted. I have no idea of the cost of the software required.

Yep, that is already installed and works. But they can get through that too. The additional questions are just another layer.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
What is the firing order of the Ford V8?
(Ok I've heard there are 2 but allow both as correct)

How many degrees is the GT40 exhaust referred as?

Which chassis number won Le Mans in 2 consecutive years?

Name 2 replica GT40 manufacturers?

On what part of the car would you find a trumpet?

Ian

Back