More Flat Plane Crank Stuff

Nick Mason

Attachments

• NMs Ferrari 512S.jpg
    NMs Ferrari 512S.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
You little sh1t! I was trying to avoid the implication! Edited now to show of a pic of NM's 512S.

Oh yeah. GET RID OF THAT BLOODY ANNOYING LITTLE BUG! ;)

Jack - thats a nice set up you have on your engine. What engine management unit are you using, and what are the coil plugs you have on there. I ask because I have a 308 Mondial that Ive been longing to do something with for some more power. I have even threatened the car with putting a Chevy in the back just for spite!
I would probably go for a belt driven supercharger with efi.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Bruce, I have been using in the past Electromotive TEC units but they have problems when you change the ignition over to coil on plug, the ECU doesn't like external igniters or any device with pulse width modulation (electric fan controls or any dc motor speed controls) it feeds back into the ECU and has problems. So I bought an AEM 30-1902u full programable EFI DIS and thought it to be the best on the market for the price. This was a big mistake and its for sale on ebay right now, its the most difficult programable unit I have ever used and you must be a factory authorized dealer to get help from the factory. So I ripped it out and going with a Haltech unit that has ignition and will handle external igniter (amplifier for coil on plug). There are a couple choices for external igniters, MSD DIS4 is one and AEM twin fire is the other that I know of and I have used both, for now I'm using the AEM twin fire unit. The coils are Kawasaki yz 750 or 1000 motorcycle coils, you can get them on ebay cheap for a set of 4, make sure you look for a set that has the harness wit them. The wiring harness for the coils will have to be wired to wasted spark or what ever your choice on the engine. As for forced induction, I have done both turbo and supercharging to the 3 liter engines, the centrifugal blower with 6-10 psi boost will put you in the HP market, you will have to change the clutch and intercool it or water injection.

I love the Mondial, its had a bad rap from the F guys but I had one and my wife and I use to drive it on long trips, there was plenty of room in the back seat for luggage or plants or what ever she bought and brought back, mater of fact that is the only ferrari she would drive that I have owned.

Now you all have some of the best EFI systems in the world. VI PEC Motec, and Haltech??? Any of these would be perfect. Here is a picture of a 308 with a twin screw blower off a GM that I made. One more thing to think about is to get rid of the problematic Ferrari water pump and put an electric remote mount pump in the front of the car. That Ferrari water pump has destroyed more 308 engines with its poor design.

Attachments

• 308 blower picture.JPG
    308 blower picture.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Jack - Its that sort of information that can only be gained from ones own experiences or the knowledge of others who have 'been there done that'. Thank you for that. The internet has to be mans most incredible invention to date.

Back