Motor Racing is Keeping Me Poor

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,

If that's the tape measure you used when you were building J O's TVR motor then I guess my GT40 WILL come in at 36, or less, with that tape!

Ross, sorry for the hiJac.

Cheers

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I might have guessed Jac Mac a typical Southlander was having me on Russ.
Was good to hear the rolling R's while I was there too. Hard to believe I used to talk like that. Now Jac Mac If you raced at Teretonga in 1968 you will be named in the Teretonga 25 book. I am in there on the 4th of april 1971 at the Rothmans Teretonga championship in my 1340 Anglia 1.29.7 lap time wow!
I won a handicap race but don't remember receiving any prize money.By the way i have my 5L of motor oil in my trophy cabinet for 3rd place at Sandown.It will never be used, cost too much.
Ross

Ross,

Somewhere in that infamous book there is a pic of a Hillman Imp trying to move an immovable object (large sandbank) having just rounded off the elbow to a large degree due to a total loss of brake pedal pressure. I suppose this could also have counted as my first solo flight ( although there may have been previous unrecorded events ) but for the fact that out of two good takeoffs there was only one good landing. However in the aviation world any landing you can walk away from is apparently a safe one! It was not until some 15 years later that I took up the flying challenge to work out what I had done wrong! Dont feel bad about the lap time, I think my first efforts with the 875cc Imp were in the 1m 35s region , even that might be telling porkies.

Jac Mac

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ross,
I asked Di about sponsorship. When she stopped the hysterical laughter
she suggested that if you can see your way clear to shout her good looking husband lots of beer and Bundy, at Pete's bar at the AGP in March she may just may consider it.

QUOTE I won a handicap race but don't remember receiving any prize money.

Ross you should have recieved money as driving an Anglia is a handicap

JIM

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hey Pete! Does Di want me to get you smashed so she can run off with a Toy Boy or is it you just trying to reduce your expenses for the weekend? She is a very smart Lady Suck Suck.........

Jim- the Anglia was a bit of a handling nightmare, had 2" widened steel wheels on the front and standard skinny wheels on the rear. I can remember minis driving round the outside of me at the loop, when I was bordering on oversteer. The 1340cc motor was a gem though and I had the exhaust exit under the floor.Probably destroyed the power but sounded great.

Jac Mac
Yes I've sussed you out now. Got any pics of the Cortina with V8 in it?

Ross

Ross, will have to scan some old pics & work out how to do that. I can vaguely remember your anglebox now, there were not too many brave enough to run skinnys on the back only, probably did wonders for your reaction times eh!. The PC types would have a fit if they actually knew what we got away with back then.

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
jac mac said:
The PC types would have a fit if they actually knew what we got away with back then.

Jac Mac

You're not wrong there Jac!
I remember my first race meeting at Teretonga which was only my third ever race meeting back in '69. We had an incurable (before practice anyway) leak from the rear calipers on the old Valour Ford 1500 single seater. We/I got a couple of tiny ballbearings and fitted them under the flare nuts thus eliminating the leak. Also eliminated the rear brakes too of course! I remember Rodney Mac coming to see me in hospital! Actually the brakes didn't cause the problem, just my youthful exuberance!

I could go on....

BTW in that vein has anyone read "Hawkeye" It's the story of Paul Hawkins famous for racing the Allan Mann GT40 AMGT2. Makes anything we did pale into insignificance. Well worth a read.

Cheers

Jim C said:
You Guys with all these high tech racing cars just makes me want to go out and buy an Austin A4O
I think its great.

And what was wrong with the A40? I had a great one back in '74, until the floor fell out!

huntsen said:
And what was wrong with the A40? I had a great one back in '74, until the floor fell out!

Absolutely nothing wrong with A40's, We have had examples out here with every type of 4 cyl ford grafted in, and one that had a Daimler SP250 2.5 V8, that was a sleeper. Go one step further back to the A30/35, perhaps one of the most notable of these being the late Peter Brocks Holden 6cyl version, which many of you would have watched at the Tribute prior to bathurst this year. What has this got in common with Ross's thread, they probably all kept the respective owner/builders in the poorhouse, so whats changed? Only the cost of the brake components by the look of it!

Not to sure about that sponsorship deal from Pete & Di Ross, sounds like one deal I had years ago where the signwriting on the car cost more than the $$ involved.

Jac Mac

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jeez Jac Mac, it looks like you and Ross are both onto my wicked plan to defray expenses at the AGP.
I should have known better than to try and snow a couple of old stagers like you two...

Heck
Listen to the oldies all chatting about racing A40's and Angulars. Instead of spending your folding stuff on brakes you should be spending it on psychological counselling prior to buying a full care unit (with garage for the GT40) in the local home for the chronologically challenged.

Dalton

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Dalton said:
Heck
Listen to the oldies all chatting about racing A40's and Angulars. Instead of spending your folding stuff on brakes you should be spending it on psychological counselling prior to buying a full care unit (with garage for the GT40) in the local home for the chronologically challenged.

Dalton

Come on Dalton, D.O.B. 1940, is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black? You were right there When Anglia's and A40's were the go. I even bet you lusted after the first Valiant.

Last edited:
Back