MSD Ignition or Weber Carb Issue?

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Thanks Russ - how could I have missed that - but it seems like a lot has happened this week.
Car is now running much better. Not sure of the cause, most likely the cracked and damp distributor cap.
Because a few things were looked at - it might be an accumulation of things, however we found out today why it wasnt running properly after the Holley rebuild and the disty removal and replace. - It was the STATIC TIMING!!
To be sure that everything was "spot on" before it was restarted - it was statically timed again. What none of us realised was the Pulley timing marks were way off - Or to be more precise - it appears that there are two positions for the timing pulley marks - I have the pulley for one type and the block marker is for the other type - so when we were statically timing the engine - we were timing it about 45deg out - no wonder it wasnt running very well (to put it mildly).
Re-timed it today and it runs. Woohoo!!! Even did a couple of runs on the Dyno. Have to fine tune it tomorrow. Initial dyno run data below, albeit I was expecting a bit more than 230BHP (265 lb ft).

Attachments

• Dynograph.jpg
    Dynograph.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Dynotxt.jpg
    Dynotxt.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
The car is now back home. It seems to run fine, but still has a niggling problem in that the secondaries on the Holley carb seem to be opening too high up the rev band and that is killing the high end power output. Best run on the dyno was just under 300BHP and the torque and power band was peaking at 3000RPM. Unfortunately I have vacuum secondaries and I am not sure how these can be adjusted to open earlier.
Any Holley experts in the UK?
Also found another problem whilst on the dyno - some of the rear hub drive pins were working loose. It wasnt noticeable when driving or with the engine running, but when the engine was killed whilst still running down on the dyno (at about 20MPH) a "clicking" could be heard from each of the rear hubs - investigation showed that the drive pin lock nuts on the inside of the hub had rotated slightly and were catching the casting upright. Easily tightened, but sounded just like a bearing that "clicks" with a flat on a roller or ball. I mention it for others.

Holley Secondary Diaphragm Spring Kit---PN-20-13, Seven springs -light to heavy.

Cant help with your second Q--Are there any Holley Experts in The UK?:)

Back