Name this original Mk 1 road car?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree, it looks like the real thing. Lots of small clues (the rear view mirror, the fuel supply hoses, the FISPA regulator) seem to be the real deal. Plus it's too tatty to be anything other than a real and old car.

The narration is in Japanese, I think, but the scene is the West Coast- maybe California? There aren't a lot of clues, at least not that I can see.

Needs a tuneup, I think, also.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I agree, it looks like the real thing. Lots of small clues (the rear view mirror, the fuel supply hoses, the FISPA regulator) seem to be the real deal. Plus it's too tatty to be anything other than a real and old car.

The narration is in Japanese, I think, but the scene is the West Coast- maybe California? There aren't a lot of clues, at least not that I can see.

Needs a tuneup, I think, also.

X2 on that Tune-up... I felt sorry for the poor car being allowed to run on and stumble over itself as though the viewer was going to be impressed by the sound...

Good videos though....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I just realized something else...

The Gurney Bubble on the car appears to start in the front of the spider and then stretch back into the door-top..

I don't recall seeing that before...

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Needs a good alignment as well as the tuneup. Note the position of the steering wheel when it is going straight.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yeah, we tend to forget that old cars act like old cars, don't they....this one needs a trip to RacingIcons and a bit of freshening up. Still, I admit I am envious- wish it was in my garage.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think the language in the video of the red car is Portuguese; I don't know if that's an original car, but the engine sounds a great deal better, and the car is driven quite a bit better in that video. There isn't enough detail to see if it's an original car or not. I think that the SAAC registry documents at least one or two 60s GT40s in South America, though.

The red car is 1085A and not an original but a Tennant tub built by Bryan Wingfeild in the 80s.

The white car is probably 1059 and is filmed on the famous Mullholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills up behind Dean Jeffreys shop

Jimmy 1085a could have been built by Sbarro but its not an original car. I am down in Daytona for the week and away from my notes and files so I am working from memory which I seem to lose some every day. The white car was definitly filmed on mullholland drive in LA. There were not alot of white road cars built and it seems original and in all of the times I have seen 1059 and all the old pics I have of it from when Dr. Frost owned it I never recall seeing a tray over the carbs.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jay,
Yes, 1085 'A' is not original as the blog says.
Allegedly Sbarro made the chassis and Bryan outfitted it.

The second video of the white car shows it going up to to the Griffith Observatory just across the 101 from Mullholland drive also in Hollywood.

Don´t think she is P1059 James... Could not find which one it is for sure but I am almost certain that it is not 1059. I will keep on searching...

JP

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If it IS 1059 it's been freshened up since the video was made. The photo on John Allen's web site shows it looking considerably better than the video does...

Here is a pic of the engine compartment last time I saw 1059. Its strange this car has never had a tray over the carbs as far back as I can remember seeing it.

The video and John Allen pics which were supplied by Pat Ryan are at least 30 years apart. 1059 had a repaint when Dr. Frost had it in Iowa I beleive.

Attachments

• DSC04485 sm.jpg
    DSC04485 sm.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 387

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Gentlemen to be most frank, ~ who cares ?
It's a nice original car nevertheless and I for one am grateful for that video.

Gentlemen to be most frank, ~ who cares ?
It's a nice original car nevertheless and I for one am grateful for that video.

Me too--but that doesn't prevent me from wanting to play Sherlock Holmes and divine the identity of this specific car. I've seen quite a few originals in the past few years (not nearly as many as Jay of course, at least in the USA) but this one has eluded me. So I was hoping to hear from somebody who actually knew what car that was.

Back