Need a little help guys...

Ron Earp

Admin
2.) All there comes from nothing is nothing. So hoping for the market to recover, hoping for a friend to invest money, hoping for the holy spirit to enlighten you, hoping for the world to turn into a better place etc. etc. won´t lead you anywhere.

That is some sage advice right there.

Brian, I don't presume to have any conclusive answers but I've personally done well with having formal professional training and education and working my tail off. I'm both a cpa and an attorney, and also an entrepreneur, having co-founded a successful internet related business that grew to over $100M in sales in five years. There was certainly a large does of luck involved in that success (there always is, more than most people will admit) but there was an even larger dose of plain old hard work. As in, 14-16 hour work days, six and seven days a week. In five years of running my company I took a total of two days off - two (and those were half days). I know that sounds pathetic, and it certainly isn't admirable but that's what it took to keep things organized and on track. Before co-founding that company I was in professional services as a cpa with Deloitte & Touche and put myself through law school at night. Again, 14-16 hour days, six and seven days a week.

My personal experience has been that if you want to get ahead financially it's a matter of getting educated, identifying and focusing on practical opportunities, and putting your heart and all your energy into it. Develop your professional skills and develop your personal skills. It seems like you enjoy mechanical things so perhaps a mechanical engineering degree is something you can pour your energies into? You'll most likely have a good paying job when you graduate with a Mech-e degree.

Net, as others have said, there's no easy path. It's kick, fight, scratch, push and shove your way forward and if you do that for enough days and weeks and months and years you eventually get there....

Cliff - thank you for this post. My head spins at the thought of doing CPA work during the day and going to law school at night. You deserve anything you've got.
For Brian this is a very important post to consider. Not only does Cliff have a surefire way to success ( I think he is too modest with the luck part) somebody like him is a walking stimulus package for any service oriented business imaginable. With 16h days he does not have time for things other than work.
If you like your real estate gig somebody like Cliff is the buyer you want.
If you sell and service cars hope that you meet somebody like him and, hell, if you are a wedding planner pray to the lord that he has a daughter.
All kidding aside I can tell you from experience that all successful people want is to be treated honestly and with the same professionalism they themselves are expected of. And most are more than happy to use your services if you meet or exceed their expectations.
I noticed in your previous posts that you showed the excitement of the "hunt" when you earned the race track listings.
Now you need to find a buyer for those listings. I know nothing about real estate but I would cold call every business and person listed in the racing and vintage racing magazines who is anywhere close to the track.
And remember you do not sell land or a house. You sell a dream, a lifestyle, a chance to be part of something. Actually get out the phonebook and call the first guy whose last name is "Mitty"
Go get 'em Tiger
Mike

Back