Need help with an assignment: GT40 vs GTD40

Dear Experts: My boss has sent me out into the wilds to understand the difference between a GT40 and a GTD40. I scrolled around the interwebs until my eyes went blurry, but I still couldn't suss out the difference. Also, I had a hard time finding GTD40s at all - most searches only pull up GT40s. He wants to purchase a 2005/2006 GT40 or maybe a GTD40, but needs to know how they are different.

Please help!

Many thanks in advance.

Hello, Laura.
There's a big difference between a GT40 and a 2005/2006 Ford GT (which is not a GT40). From a distance they may look similar but up close its not.
2005/2006 Ford GT comes with all the safety features you can have in a 2000+ modern car like modern brakes with ABS, even some luxury can be found like powersteering an AC. It also comes with a modern supercharged engine. All build by Ford so to be expect a finesse like a 2005 Ford car.

A GT40, GTD, is old skool, old fashion, hardcore raw. Its '60s design and mostly '60s with safety features (mostly non) and not much luxury. Well they do come with a shower cause when it raines, it mostly also rains inside.
Powersteering non, Brake assistance non, just a few have AC, but mostly underrated so on a hot day its hardcore.. with little ventilation.
GT40's where designed to be racecars. Vieuw in rear mirrors is always quest able.
There are modern build GT40 replicas like Superperformance, and Well build RCR's on the market, and even some other brands that where build years ago. But expect them all to be more hardcore. They usually come with an old skool Ford Winsor V8 with multiple carburettors requiring knowledge to maintain those.

Then there's the question how tall is the person that want's to buy a GT or GT40. Cause entering & driving it might be a challenge.

I like the hardcore raw GT40, that's why I have one.

Specifically, a GTD40 is a KIT replica of the REAL Ford GT. GTD replicas were made in the 90's in England. The original Ford GT, which was made in very limited production numbers in the 1960's will cost your boss at least $5M. A GTD40 kit replica would cost him on the order of $100K+. The two look similar but are about like the difference between a real diamond and cubic zirconia. At JP says above, a 2006 Ford GT is a totally different car. Plan to spend $400K on one.

So what is your boss' budget and what is the real story here as there must be more to this.

Laura, I think your boss already knows all of the answers, he is just testing you out to see what skills you in investigating a subject that you know very little about , like a job interview. For a full description of what you ask, I think a lot of guys on this site could write several books on the subject and still argue about the details, it can get very emotive when you ask several thousand " experts" for the definitive truth of the matter, and none will agree totally . Frank

Ahhh....I knew this was the right place to ask! The difference is replica vs real, which will make a difference to him. He's interested in the 2005/2006 Ford GT, he's more of an 'I want the real thing' kind of guy (and can afford it). I don't think he's all that knowledgeable about the intricacies of the different bits and bobs, but it's really good to know that his 6'3" height may be an issue.

Y'all are the best! Thank you and happy Thanksgiving!

if you comparing a GT40 replica/remanufactured car, VS a GTD40, it might pay to check if the GTD40 is one of the models that had the extra height added into the roof and door lines.
I think it may have been GTD that had a GT42 or something like that. They typically look a little shorter due to the change in proportions in comparison to the original 1960s GT40 profile.

I believe the GTD bodywork was based or pulled off a mold from KVA bodywork, which itself was modified slightly from the original GT40.

Doesn't Fran sell a version of the 2005 Ford GT as a kit? - The Superlight GT-R

maybe that's what was being requested and not the GTD. The GT and GTD are very different cars.

Build thread here, i have not read it all.

Ahhh....I knew this was the right place to ask! The difference is replica vs real, which will make a difference to him. He's interested in the 2005/2006 Ford GT, he's more of an 'I want the real thing' kind of guy (and can afford it). I don't think he's all that knowledgeable about the intricacies of the different bits and bobs, but it's really good to know that his 6'3" height may be an issue.

Y'all are the best! Thank you and happy Thanksgiving!
If he wants to go real, he wants right hand drive , Frank

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If he wants to go real, he wants right hand drive , Frank
Well - not entirely so...
According to the article in Wikipedia, 4 of the 7 MKIII cars were built with Left Hand Drive.
"As the Mk III looked significantly different from the racing models many customers interested in buying a GT40 for road use chose to buy a Mk I that was available from Wyer Ltd. Of the seven MK III that were produced four were left-hand drive."

There are a few zeros between the price of an original GT40 and a GTD40 which narrows the choice. I was lucky enough to drive GT40s back in the 1960s. My GTD40 was built in 1989 then re- engineered and developed for road & track by GT40 guru Frank Catt at Wealden Engineering Development. it’s as close (and in some ways better) than the originals I remember, but it is different. It differs from the original, differs from other GTD40s, differs from other replicas. It has provenance and is more a race car on the road, raw, raucous and rapid and bloody wonderful - having my own teeth helps with the ride. It’s not for everyone but it sure suits me.
The 2006 GT has a family likeness but it’s not a GT40, it has the looks, has performance but it’s of a different age.
(Oh, and I’m 6’2”, Frank made my car so that I would fit comfortably - without surgery).

Back