Need some history on SPF MK II P 2176

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Thought some of you might like to see/'hear' these:

Dallas Performance Twin Turbo GT40 Superformance 1200 horsepower - YouTube

Dallas Performance Twin Turbo GT40 Superformance 1200 horsepower PUMP GAS - YouTube

When I first became interested in getting a GT40 (I knew nothing about their chassis limits, etc., at the time), I saw the above vids, called Dallas Performance and spoke with Taylor Sims about having a clone of this car built (minus the paddle shift mods). Bottom line: he advised against it (for all the reasons mentioned in this thread and then some). He'd evidently given the same advice to the fellow who ordered the car (a businessman from Norway as recall) before beginning the build, but, the man wanted what he wanted (can't blame him for that), so the car was built as requested.

L.

Keith

Are you kidding Jack? Seems like today, everyone needs at least 800hp, or perhaps just those with small widgets and a death wish? :)

I much remember driving my 1970 Z28 street strip car with around 350-400 RWHP on the street for the first time. Holy sheeet! Why would anyone want more than that?

I had a cushion for a passenger seat (interior stripped out) and my favourite trick was to give a girl (in a skirt of course) a lift (ride) and then nail it. If they didn't completely invert with skirt around neck, I would consider my launch to be second rate!

Beats the 100 dollar bill Cobra trick anyday.

Sorry for thread drift, but I agree with you Mr Houpe.

Keith

Addicted to horsepower? So, the method of transport is irrelevant?

I must say, I know my limitations and get a great deal of pleasure hustling a 'just powerful enough' car. Having too much power, in my opinion, reduces the experience of wringing a car out especially when, apart from track time, there's no where safely to do it!

Each to their own, like I say it's only an opinion, but I am quite addicted to living!

I have always followed the Chapman principle of 'adding lightness' to 'gain' power.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I have always enjoyed the old saying:

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.

Get real guys.....Remember we are on a website dedicated to 200+ mph, 400-500 + hp, sub 2500 lb race cars!!!

Guys that have 100 hp cars usually want 105...
Guys that have 500 hp cars usually want 505...

If you want to go fast in a slow car go put slicks on a Prius and have at it. This is a website where one of the ingredients for winning was having more reliable HP than the other guy.

BTW, sorry for the thread drift.

What is the point of all the horse power if you cannot get it to the ground?
And to me a major attraction of the GT40 is it's rugged and brutish simplicity.
It is essentially a 200 MPH (for many reasons) car and any HP above what is needed to get it there is superflorous.
IMHO

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Considering parts are parts then dating a Playboy model would also be considered superfluous. I prefer superfluous :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Man this is thread drift for sure. I have more and want less, going to change the cam and drop a couple hundred HP just so I can drive it without pooping my pants when it goes sideways at 75 MPH blowouts (tire spin) 1200 HP in a car like this is insane, no matter how much more you want.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jack, I'm with you there.

These cars were originally designed for 200 to 400 HP top. I know I'm in the minority on this but I always wanted a GT40, nothing more nothing less.

Don't get me wrong, If you guys want to put huge HP into a GT40, a Bug Eye Sprite of a Model T, go for it, but It seems odd to me.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Did you guys ever see the video of this car doing some shake down runs at the strip. It was insane lol. Video was taken down after the car was wrecked.

What is the point of all the horse power if you cannot get it to the ground?
And to me a major attraction of the GT40 is it's rugged and brutish simplicity.
It is essentially a 200 MPH (for many reasons) car and any HP above what is needed to get it there is superflorous.
IMHO

I also love the simplicity and rawness of the 40 but I think there are a couple Can-Am cars that might disagree with the "any HP above what is needed is superflorous" comment....

Back