New carbon wheels for the SLC?

I'm pretty certain they'll be strong enough over bumps and stuff, I just remain unconvinced that they can take extreme sideways loads.

I'm pretty certain they'll be strong enough over bumps and stuff, I just remain unconvinced that they can take extreme sideways loads.

As they have received DOT ratings in both USA and many European countries they have been tested to standards that boast of there strength.

I have had the seen the wheels first hand and I have driven a car with them on it and I will say that my first impression of the feel they brought to the car was :thumbsup:

I have used carbon wheels on both my race bikes and street bikes and I will say they are the best mods I have ever done to a sport bike... Period, dot the end... My street bike has the absolute crap driven out of it on some of the crappiest roads Canada has to offer and I have ZERO fear the wheels will fail any sooner or easier then an aluminum wheel.

Now I will say that there have been some really shitty examples of carbon wheels release to the public but these I do not think are one of them.

Carbon fiber has revolutionized transportation and racing due to is physical weight and strength. Ever want to doubt that then look at a F1 driver tub; drive it into a wall at 100+ MPH and a driver hops out and walks away.

These wheels biggest downfall is there cost, especially to a bunch of people with super car dreams and shoe string budgets.

Oh I don't doubt their strength it's just that there is a reason it has taken a lot longer to release them for cars than bikes.

I've never ridden a bike with carbon wheels but I can certainly imagine just how quickly you'll be able to change directions, I've also never doubted their strength in this application either.

I never doubted the carbon/magnesium ones that Dymag had for cars either, it's just the *full* carbon wheels I'm cautious of though the DOT ratings does make you feel a little more at ease.

I saw them at SEMA and picked up the 19x12 wheel with one hand easily and I don't pump iron like Alex does!

It's not the loads that cause issues with composite wheels and (uprights for that matter), rather elevated temperatures. Radial heat from the brake rotors. There is a reason F1 still run Magnesium rims and Titanium uprights. Just ask Sebastian Buemi...

Attachments

• stream1tssnapshot012109e.jpg
    stream1tssnapshot012109e.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 409
Ever picked up a F1 wheel? They weigh NOTHING, astonishing how light they are and they are mag. I don't think they have a very long life cycle at that weight.

A bike with carbon wheels and brakes....now that would be a treat in the change of direction effort department.

It's not the loads that cause issues with composite wheels and (uprights for that matter), rather elevated temperatures. Radial heat from the brake rotors. There is a reason F1 still run Magnesium rims and Titanium uprights. Just ask Sebastian Buemi...

wow that was bizarre on the video: it looked like explosive bolts! Both wheels at the same time.

And how do the uprights fit in with a carbon wheel. Better yet how does the image you linked fit in. A new proto type upright failed...

Quote "A team spokesman said: "Buemi's incident in FP1 was caused by the failure of the front-right upright. Both cars had been fitted with new uprights for this race. They had not been used previously.
"The exact cause of the failure within the component has yet to be identified."

As a person that knows something about the engineering that goes into F1 cars I will say that the uprights are made from Mag and Ti because the materials work well in terms of weight and also for the heat transfer chain. They absorb the heat from the brakes and shed it well. Thus helping to not over heat tires and not transrering it back to the composite brakes, cooling ducts, suspension arms and _____.

As a person that owns, flies, maintains, works on and builds parts for composite aerobatic aircraft I know how strong the material can be. I trust my life to a composite, ti, mag, aluminum aircraft that I pull 10g's in almost every time I fly it. I have also seent that material and every other material made fail. It is a fact of life.

Last edited:
A bike with carbon wheels and brakes....now that would be a treat in the change of direction effort department.

It is bliss. I will say that the light weight wheel assemblies on both my bikes are hands down the single best most noticeable mod I have ever done to any of my bikes.....

It is bliss. I will say that the light weight wheel assemblies on both my bikes are hands down the single best most noticeable mod I have ever done to any of my bikes.....

I bet it is, I'd sooner make those mods than start looking for more power, honestly, most bikes even in *completely* stock form are more than what most people can handle.

As for carbon wheels in F1, wasn't it a case of it was banned for other reasons not to do with safety?

SL-C with carbon wheels, carbon brakes and titanium/magnesium uprights? HELLO! Unsprung weight? What unsprung weight! :D

Actually, Kyle is correct. They later confirmed (officially) that the uprights were not carbon prototypes.

The only carbon featured on my 2006 Renault R26 uprights are for heat shielding (rears) and brake cooling aero efficiency (fronts)

Attachments

• 2013-01-05_11-27-27_426.jpg
    2013-01-05_11-27-27_426.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 310
Those are some nice looking pieces for a Le Car... :thumbsup:

Actually, Kyle is correct. They later confirmed (officially) that the uprights were not carbon prototypes.

The only carbon featured on my 2006 Renault R26 uprights are for heat shielding (rears) and brake cooling aero efficiency (fronts)

Cool wheels, but not 15k cool...At least not for what I do.

If anything, I'd just have aluminum wheels hydro-dipped with a carbon fiber pattern and a clear powdercoat over the top.

Cool wheels, but not 15k cool...At least not for what I do.

If anything, I'd just have aluminum wheels hydro-dipped with a carbon fiber pattern and a clear powdercoat over the top.

Interesting option Dave, the thought of hydro-dipping or water-transfer printing never crossed my mind.

In my opinion I'd rather have carbon fibre or just not fake it, each to their own I guess.

Quick question Fran, if you went with such wheels and say some carbon brakes disks (SICOM?), would this have an affect on the suspension/spring rates?

Back