New Dart Ford Small Block

Mark

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Starting with just basic
iron 302 heads, I'm told an increase of
34-40 hp is normal if you switch to GT40 or
Dart iron heads for around $ 1000.
For $ 2,000 I can buy slightly ported
aluminum heads that will net 60-80 hp if I swap cams or change rocker ratio.
And in the same deal I loose 30-40 lbs over
the iron heads.

Certainly for those that can afford it,
an all aluminum engine has real sex appeal.
I just don't see it as a mainstream upgrade.
Otherwise you'd see it more often in drag
racing, who are super weight conscious.
Their rule of thumb is 100 lb = .10 second
in the quarter mile. Spending $ 2,000 more
over a race block to get .10 second is not
usually cost effective. But it is sexy!!

MikeD

MikeD

If the weight distribution is typically 44/56 then I wonder what the reduction in 115 lbs mostly from the rear would be worth in handling, etc.

The exact same thing was going through my mind as Gary's. The lighter engined car would have the POTENTIAL to handle better, but in real life, if the car already handled well, then you might possibly be going backwards by upsetting the overall balance.

You would then need to spend a reasonable amount of time and money re-developing the suspension before you could get the full potetial out of the improved weight... but WOW, what a racer you would have then!!

Dyno run went extremely well. Will post thread comparing the dyno pulls with my dyno 2000 engine model when I get the tabulated data. Engine should arrive next Monday or Tuesday.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey,

Anyone know of how big of a stroker can be packed into the 302 and 351 versions of this block? I'm looking for my next engine project...

Ron

Ron, if you have the Dart black bored out to 4.125" (still less than maximum bore of 4.185") and you keep the SBF deck height of 8.200" and the stock stroke of 3.000", you get a 321 cubic inch engine. If you increase the stroke to 3.400" you get almost 364 cubic inches of displacement! If you use a 4.125" bore and stroke the 351 block to 4.000", you get a slick little 427.
smile.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Just found this list, saw the thread on Aluminum and Dart SBF's. I have a RDI (was allen roots design) Aluminum Block in a motor now. Nothing short of a head ache to get it going. Lots of machining for extra $$. Would be nice to see one done up for about the same price. I paid around $3800 from RDI and then add about $600 for complete prep. The motor is going in a 65 Mustang R Model clone, getting rid of weight was the main idea behind the insanity. Will be worth it if it runs. The intial build imediatly blew 2 head gaskets (after a hellatiously hard run), so they are tempermental, and the builder had only done one previous with only a bit better luck. I also think they are using them in the Saleen super cars, but not exactly sure. In any case the motor is to be put on a dyno for proper testing on Feb 4. Will have some de-liar horsepower papers
grin.gif

Also check out the build of a 600hp 306 N/A with that block on Total Engine Airflow's page under tech articles.

Great list!

Sandy

All,
Sorry to butt in here from the UK, but Real Steel have a Motorsport block. Don't know if was the one mentioned earlier. It only weighs about 160 lbs, but can be bored/stroked to give 360cu in. I also has a Siamese design. The blurb says Ford claim a whopping 1200bhp@8500rpm for this baby... and it only costs $2700. Don't know if this helps

Back