New engine/engine builder

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I am building a new engine for my SPF GT-40, using my existing Roush 427R in a Mustang-project of mine.

After some consideration, I think of going for a 402 cui with 4.125 bore and 3.750 stroke, using this parts:

Dart 9.5 Windsor SHP cast iron Block
Callies Dragonslayer crank
Oliver Billett rods
Custom made Diamond Racing pistons, 10,75 compression
Solid roller cam, Jesel shaft rockers, Isky Red Zone lifters
AFR 220cc Runner Renegade race heads, custom milled
BLP prepped Holley 850cfm carb
MSD ignition

All other bits and pieces of the highest quality to secure durability. Everything balanced, and carb and ignition fine tuned on the dyno.

This should give appx 650-700HP at about 7-7200rpm, and appx 575 lbs/ft of torque at about 5500 rpm. The engine will be a little rough but fully driveable at 1500rpm and smooth running from 2000 rpm. It will be able to handle 8000-8200 rpm. I prefere a higher revving, higher HP engine with a little less low rpm torque compared to the Roush I have today. Almost 75% of my use of the car is at the track.

Question 1: What are Your thoughts of the engine combination?

Question 2: After talking to several Builders, I have a good impression of Scott Shafiroff Race Engines www.shafiroff.com Anybody having experience with them?

Best regards
Trond

Mike Pass

Supporter
Very nice engine but two questions come to mind. How long will the transaxle last and what tyres will be able to put this power and torque onto the road?
Cheers
Mike

Hi

I am building a new engine for my SPF GT-40, using my existing Roush 427R in a Mustang-project of mine.

After some consideration, I think of going for a 402 cui with 4.125 bore and 3.750 stroke, using this parts:

Dart 9.5 Windsor SHP cast iron Block
Callies Dragonslayer crank
Oliver Billett rodsLength?
Custom made Diamond Racing pistons, 10,75 compression
Solid roller camLobe centers?, Jesel shaft rockers, Isky Red Zone lifters
AFR 220cc Runner Renegade race heads, custom milledYou realise the exh port is .375" up on these, probably involve header rework or new set.
BLP prepped Holley 850cfm carbCheck out the 'Willys' range of carbs.
MSD ignition
I do not see a dry sump in your wish list- put it on your must have!
All other bits and pieces of the highest quality to secure durability. Everything balanced, and carb and ignition fine tuned on the dyno.

This should give appx 650-700HP at about 7-7200rpm, and appx 575 lbs/ft of torque at about 5500 rpm. The engine will be a little rough but fully driveable at 1500rpm and smooth running from 2000 rpm. It will be able to handle 8000-8200 rpm. I prefere a higher revving, higher HP engine with a little less low rpm torque compared to the Roush I have today. Almost 75% of my use of the car is at the track.

Question 1: What are Your thoughts of the engine combination?I applaud you decision to use the 3.75" stroke, I hope you use a 6.300 or longer rod with it if you intend to really wind it to 8200.

Question 2: After talking to several Builders, I have a good impression of Scott Shafiroff Race Engines www.shafiroff.com Anybody having experience with them?

Best regards
Trond

Good Luck, or should I say--- build your luck into the engine:)

Last edited:

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I have the ZF/RBT gearbox and this should cope with the power. I run Goodyear slicks on 15" rims on the track, and based on the experience with my existing engine giving 550hp and just a little less torque I think the extra power will be ok to handle.

Regards
Trond

Back