New Ford GT40

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Chris

Is your car on the road?
I'm in Melbourne myself and would love to catch up.

Bill
cool.gif

I would have to agree with evryone out there that thinks even compairing the GT90 to a GT40 is crazy. What is that thing. Nothing but ugly. If Ford wants to release a ground breaking, stunning car that is to die for then make a GT40. Oh that's right they did, now move on. Quite messing with perfection. Let's see something that is new and original as the GT40, not another "retro kinda looks like" car.
Long live the real GT40. As for the TT isn't that one of the new VW Beetles?

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
The race driver I believe was the second greatest Le Mans winner ( number of wins ) D. Bell.
If he had piloted ( the parade of pilots is what happens before the start of Le Mans ) a GT40 he might have equaled the great Jackie Ickx in wins !!!!!!!
Dereck Bell was an member of the GT40 club in England when I left in 1990. He had a Lola T70 replica at the time I believe. Agreat driver and a field hockey player.
" How can one man be SO gifted !!!!"
Best wishes, Robert

G

Our club also had Martin Brundle as a Member but both he and Derek Bell are namesakes and not the drivers you think. Our Derek Bell has a great GTD Lola T70 replica and it has been driven by John Surtees and praised by him as excellent.
Maybe I shouldn't have told you guys that so you think we have the super famous as our members....Hey ho.

Malcolm

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Couldn't agree more that the GT40 is a lot better looking than anything they've designed lately. Ford isn't the only company trying to market retro-looking cars thinking the public will buy anything that looks retro. The only good one, I think, is the Jag reissue of the S-type car (a Ford under the skin).
Look at the 70s Ferraris (Boxer, Daytona) compared to what they make now- the modern cars may be better but they don't have the looks of the old ones. Look at everything Lambo has made since the Countach- the last decent looking car they made was the Miura (inspired, by the way, by the GT40)And if you look at a Boxer, a Maserati Bora, a Miura, next to a GT40 there is still no comparison. They are great cars, but not as beautiful as a GT40. (I have no pretensions to neutrality here.)
The new Tbird is nothing to write home about, either, none of the grace and crispness of the 55-57 design.
I realize this web site is about cars, not musical instruments, but I can't help but observe that the big players in guitar manufacturing (Fender and Gibson) figured out a while back that their best designs were done in the 50s and 60s, and their most popular guitars and amplifiers are reissues of their earliest efforts, or updates of same. It was a great era for design, not only in motorcars but lots of other things as well.
We're fortunate, in a way, to be able to have modern recreations of the GT40 that benefit from better materials and machining technology but preserve the looks and spirit of the original design. After all, if you had your heart set on a Bugatti Royale or a Doble Series E, you'd have a lot harder time finding someone to reproduce it...

Jim Rosenthal

Back