New titles - let's have the suggestions!

Ron Earp

Admin
New titles - let\'s have the suggestions!

I want to use some new titles for the folks on the board, something associated with cars/GT40s/racing. We need about 10 titles, each one corresponds to a different level of posts.

A Poor Example:

Windshield cleaner
Tire Changer
Pit Boss

Etc.

It should be consistent and we need about 10 levels or so. Any ideas?

Ron

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Re: New titles - let\'s have the suggestions!

[ QUOTE ]

Windshield cleaner
Tire Changer

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to stick to ones that are the same in English & American? Or is it possible to do away with them altogether, I really don't think categorizing people purely on the number of posts is good. e.g. if Chris Melia lost his login now (750+ posts), he would become a Stranger, Newbie etc again! Can we not decide for ourselves what our category should be?

Otherwise here's a few thoughts.
Spectator
Wannabe
Driver
Racer
Veteran

Ron Earp

Admin

Most forums use such a thing so that people can tell how long folks have been on the board. Frankly, I like them for just this reason.

Yes, there are some problems - logins get lost from time to time. This is unfortunate, but I can fix those that get lost and get them back to their normal posting level. Chris included. But, I will not do this until the titles are decided.

There cannot be American and UK versions - this is all the same board and has to use the same titles. Are you talking about language differences? The titles are assigned by the board, not by indivdual people.

And, I don't think people deciding upon their own title is a good idea. What if the brand new guy decides he is the GT40s Guru? We all know that the number of posts has nothing to do with how knowlegeable one it - only with how much they post or how long they've been around.

Good ideas, please keep them coming!

Ron

Ron,
First thougths are you could start off with something like Prototype , chart the GTs history and finish with something like Legend?

Brett

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
There cannot be American and UK versions - this is all the same board and has to use the same titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron,

I totally understand that. That's why I was asking if we could use ones that are spelt/mean the same in both, it avoids the need to have different versions.

Max

Ron,

How about naming them by 10 of the GT40 races? Of course, Lemans would be at the top.

Have fun!

John /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hmm, some that come to mind:

Grease Monkey
Jackman
Race Official
Spotter

and of course ...
Podium Cheesecake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Of course there could be...

Phil Hill
Dan Gurney
Bruce McLaren
Mark Donahue
A.J. Foyt
and of course

Ken Miles

On second thought, that will not work, it will lead to endless bench racing sesions...what if Dan in a early Mark I was up against Graham Hill in a Mk IV?

Too many possibilties!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You left out Jacky Ickx, probably the most successful GT40 driver. At least when the car held together.

1967:
Daytona: 6th
Spa: 1st
Karlskoga: 1st
Paris: 1st
Kyalami: 1st

1968:
BOAC 500: 1st
Nurburgring: 3rd
Spa: 1st
Watkins Glen: 1st
Kyalami: 1st

1969:
Sebring: 1st
LeMans: 1st

well since most of the racing was done in europe, we should use the terms that were used when they raced, by the motoring press. we the americans will have to get over it and learn the meaning of new words.

i do like the race names idea

How about some of these (not in any particular order)?

Spectator (already suggested)
Ticket Taker
Corner Worker
Safety Crew
Scrutineer
Timing & Scoring
Pit Marshall
Chief Steward
Pace Car Driver
Beer Vendor

How about:
gasket
oilseal
rocker
spring
valve
piston
conrod
bigend
crankshaft
flywheel........etc

Is'nt it all a bit childish, this so called rating by names? Just as also childish to use stupid "non de plumes" instead of your real name on the Forum, Why? What are you hiding from? If you cannot judge a person by what they say rather than the gimmicky name they use, if you need to rate a persons image by silly titles, its a sad reflection of what I thought was a wordwide set of sensible people with a common interest

Jasper, you missed off 'dipstick' this has a special meaning in the UK from a program called 'only fools and horses (work)'.

Ron, its very hard to come up with as many as 10 names which have to be a hierarchy which is understood (unless you get all military which I don't think we want especially at this time).

Most lists suggested so far have no obvious levels of contribution. Do we need as many as 10, isn't 6 or 7 enough.

You could have:

spectator
groupie
spanner monkey
pit crew
race engineer
technical director
team manager

Jasper, sorry I didn't notice you were UK based /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Frank, its only a bit of fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

I would like to be associated with Frank's remarks. Are the current titles the ones to be replaced or are we talking about additional titles? If they are, I might suggest that they are reasonably titled as they are and if they're not broke, why fix them?
Sunday morning in Verona. THE BELLS !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Dave M :

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

I agree in part with Frank, as I have suggested doing away with these in a previous post. We can see how many posts a person has made & judge for ourselves whether that makes them a lurker, an active member or an expert.

IMHO Just having the user's name & location next to the post would be enough really. The registered date (without the year!) is not really relevant & if anyone wanted to look at this or the number of posts someone had sent, they could look at their profile.

Max (a Nom de plume, but the name by which over 80% of people know me)

Ron Earp

Admin

[ QUOTE ]
I agree in part with Frank, as I have suggested doing away with these in a previous post. We can see how many posts a person has made & judge for ourselves whether that makes them a lurker, an active member or an expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so everyone knows, I agree with this point about post numbers. But, the way the software is written if I turn off the "titles" then it also turns off the number of posts. These two things are linked, unfortunately. I made the decision some time ago that we are going to have number of posted displayed, therefore, titles will be present as well. Which is why I started the topic to fix them to a format that most people agree on. The titles would be NEW ones and would replace the ones currently in use.

Back