New UK speed cameras info

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dear all
If you intend using the Blackwall tunnel through East London please take notice of the contents below
kind regards
XXXXXXX

New "undercover" Speed Cameras which were introduced a few weeks ago on the A12 are going 'live' on Monday!

We have had a tip-off from the our Locator update team that small 'specs' cameras have been sited both north and south of the Blackwall tunnel on the A12 in London.

The cameras have been sited in a deliberate speeding hotspot (because the limit reduces to 30 very suddenly without any advance warning) and the fine has been raised from the usual £60, to £100 per offence.

But here is the really unusual thing...

They have NOT installed signs warning drivers of this speed trap.

Why?

Because they are NOT be going to be hitting drivers with a licence endorsement as you would usually expect...

... They are just going to take our hard-earned cash instead!

This is just the latest case of blatant profiteering from the countries "safety camera" partnerships.

Our information tells us that these new cameras are going 'live' from Monday (12th February).

The speed limit for the tunnel is 30 mph northbound and 40 mph southbound.

-----------------

So if you live in or travel through the area - BEWARE.
Dave M

Keith

Thanks for the heads up Dave, but SPECS are average speed detection system yes? So, is the whole stretch monitored?

Don't forget, with SPECS you have to leave the monitored zone in the same lane you entered to get a ticket. As far as I know, if you change lanes in the zone, you cannot get ticketed. It's a loophole, but I ain't gonna test it! :eek:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,
I don't really have any more info that that which appears above.
My belief is that evey camera or series of cameras has to have a warning sign preceding it, and in addition has to be in a conspicous colour - if you remember they were all battleship grey to begin with and had to have these yellow panels fitted. I am going to send this info to the RAC to check the legalities - yeah or nay. I think it should be a nay but in the cause of revenue raising it seems the government will stoop at nothing and any protests are deemed non effective. AND we pay these bastards salaries.

Another way of avoiding fines to to drive untaxed. unlicensed, uninsured,
and un MOT'd. If you get caught play the race card and tell them you are a disadvantaged minority as your mother was a one legged, lesbian nun who beat you regularly and your father was a grimsby trawlerman. They cannot get you then - according to last sundays papers.......

Brian Stewart
Supporter
An article appeared in a New Zealand motoring mag a couple of months back saying that a major study recently completed in the UK showed that just 5% of fatal road accidents occur at speeds above the posted limit. Is there any basis to this and, if so, has there been any response from the UK motoring public or the "safety camera" folk?

Keith

Hey Dave, thinking about it, this is the year (2007) when things will change big time re: "Safety Cameras".

I believe that the revenue split will change (yellow ones share income with "Safety Partnerships") Grey ones don't. Plus, I also believe that the period of change regarding the warning signs and criteria for placement is also coming to and end this year.

Radar detectors (not GPS speed camera database trackers) will also become illegal in 2007 and the Police will be able to hide the cameras again like they did in the first place. I'll do some research but I'm sure that is happening. It's going to get ugly again.....:mad:

Brian,
I'm not sure that 5% statistic is true.
Actually, reading it again, the key word is FATAL. This may well be the case.

One snippet I recall from talking to the accident investigators is a little tick box they have on the accident investigation forms. It is for 'Inappropriate speed'.
In a fair % of accidents inappropriate speed is a factor. Note however that this does not mean breaking the speed limit. Taking a bend too fast for the prevailing conditions, but within the limit would still see the box ticked...

Talk to the guys that are on the street dealing with the accidents, and they will tell you the cameras are often misplaced, so do little for the accident rates.

Keith

Have you also noticed that the word "accident" is no longer used at the scene? When the police request information from other passing motorists at the scene the notice often says "crash" or "collision" but never accident any more as it may prejudice a prosecution further on down the legal road.

I am led to understand by a serving Police officer (not traffic though it's true) that because of the current "blame" culture, the scene of a crash becomes a scene of crime and has to be investigated by SOC officers which is why they now shut motorways for long periods when there have been injuries & allegations.

Someone has to be blamed...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Someone has to be blamed...
'Inappropriate speed'......
Rant start:
The roads in this county (Buckinghamshire) are a total disgrace and for years now they just spray wet tar and pile more loose chippings on top - and the whole thing was compounded by the cable companies trenching all the local roads. The Borough Highway Engineers department (public employees no less) assured me (in a phone call) that the cable company would restore the road to its original (bad) condition but also that if your car was damaged by loose chippings it was attributable to 'Inappropriate speed'.
That was 5+ years ago. The roads are now lethal for motorcyclists as there are smooth bitumen ridges betwen the old and the new, the new has sunk in many places below the road level, and nobody has been made to put it right again. I only ride in good weather but the carriageway has been reduced to about 1m wide.
Would the Highways Engineers ever accept the blame for any accident so caused ? Not in a month of Sundays. 'Inappropriate speed' they will cite. And they (the police) have the gaul to set up speed traps (only in the summer for overtime) on the only good 200m stretch of road of that particular road.
Nowadays I set up a "paper trail" for every conversation with the beaurocrats we employ. They are past masters at the blame culture and every letter they send has to go via their legal department before it's re-drafted and sent out.
I f-----g despair at the civil service, the police, the camera operating companies, and all who are associated with them. Thay are a total disgrace.
Rant finished.

lmao, I only got as far as your 'rant start' and started laughing David :p

The state of the roads are attrocious (sp?). In Sussex those in charge have set blanket speed limits of 40mph on all the country lanes. This now means pretty much every car breaks the speed limit at some point as most drivers used the roads when they were nationals, and can see no reason for the change in limit.

As for the removal of the word 'accident', you are spot on Keith. The same accident investigator told a group of us that although he is trained in accident management, accident investigation, etc, he is now called to collisions for exactly the reasons you say.

He came out with a classic though. Whenever you have a head on, someone is always on the wrong side of the road :D

These same coppers, who also happen to run an advanced training school once gave the following advice to me:
When your riding along in a restricted zone and see the national sign, think of it as 'New Player', and when you get to the restricted's again, think of it as 'game over' :grinf:

I'm booked in for another days 'tuition' with them in a month or so :burnout:

Back