Nimrod retires from RAF service

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A bit like the FAA but mired into the pot and I guess it's now the Joint Airworthiness Authority. The Permit to Fly is granted for ex warbirds - usually has limits such as Airshows, Practice for Airshows , +3G,-2G, Transits to and from Airshows, The number of crew permitted ie for the Nimrod = 2 pilots 1 engineer one other crew such as Navigator and maybe one other depending on how many is required for certain drills such as Aileron Servodyne Bay Fire Drill. All ordnance systems rendered inoperative, Max permitted Fuel for airshows, No Passengers, take off and landing performance regulated to least stressful ie No V2 take offs, no max stop min distance landings. And so on and so on - with a largish and complicated machine like a Nimrod mr2 I could imagine about ten pages of limitations.
So I guess they will end up as Gate Guardians or down the scrapyard. I think all the AEW Nimrods (The Mk 3 AEW) which was my project for two and a half years have gone to the scrapyard now. A pity really as there were some nice bits and pieces that could be of use on look- a- like cars such as ours.

Last edited:
I remember one of those AWE Nimrods at Finningly, I went there or a weeks camp as a space (ATC) cadet. That was twenty years ago. I even have a piccy of me stood in front of it some where.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
You're making me feel really old. I was the Senior Engineer on the Nimrod AEW project from 1977 to 1980. 30 years ago. Oh dear......I am old.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Standards.jpg

This was the retirment "End of the Jet" ceremony.

And the flypast of the remaining two Nimrods:

Flypast+%281%29.jpg

Hi folks,
just a quick note to say that the commemorative prints will be in the post tomorrow morning, got the first 100 done today, thanks to all who ordered them and thanks for your patience. I handed over a cheque for 2800 pounds on your behalf to the Childrens' Ward at Dr Gray's Hospital in Elgin, Moray. They will be using the money to completely refurbish the childrens' playroom which has not been done in many years, buy some new furniture and toys. Hopefully it will go some way to make the childrens stay in hospital less intimidating. The balance of the funds raised will be going to the RNLI and will be for a similar amount.

We did our last trip yesterday going to Rockall, St Kilda, St Mawgan in Cornwall and Valley in North Wales before the weather at home caught up with us and we had to head back to Kinloss. Landed in a snow storm with the wind 26 gusting 41 so a little fruity. Unfortunately the weather here today has been out of limits all day and prevented any further flights of the MR2. The only flights from now on will be museum deliveries, so for us the war is over. :sad:

Thanks to all for your support, especially Dave.

Best wishes

Buster

Kinda late, I know.

The following was posted on another forum I frequent:-

People often ask (though not in these words) how maritime reconnaissance can have any impact on their lives, about what enemy those aircraft protect us from; about what the point is now the Cold War's ancient history, and whenever I hear that I shake my head as I look back to a sunny day in 1996, to a sea as still as death, and to the words I'll never forget, said by my father as he gazed towards the stern of our boat, the UL251 Chalice II, and his face went pale;

"Calum, we're going down."

To this day I swear the blood froze in my veins.

"Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. This is the Chalice II, we are sinking off the east coast of Rhona..."

One radio transmission was enough; the cry for aid was out, and the well-oiled machine that is Search And Rescue went to work.

We were lucky, for all that neither of us could swim a stroke; we were only a hundred or so yards offshore when Dad realised she was about to go, and we leaped from the bows with a rope as she dropped away from beneath us; we couldn't have picked a better place or day to be shipwrecked if we'd tried, and two hours later we were onshore in a warm pub with hot food and cold beer in our bellies.

I can only just begin to imagine what it must be like to hear those words with no land in sight, but I do share one thing in common with the many, many ordinary people who've been in that situation over the years; there was a friendly eye in the sky watching me on that day, an eye with a hotline to the everyday heroes in a yellow helicopter who came to lift my father and I from that rocky shore; an eye called the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod.

When the wind gets up and the surf turns white, as you haul the helm over with a cry of, 'Fuck this, we're going home', that eye is always on the edge of a fisherman's mind; knowing that it isn't just gods watching over you is a comforting thing indeed, and when the boat begins to heel over and you hear the skipper call 'Mayday', you're truly glad to know that the people aboard that old plane know where you are and that a Westland Sea King helicopter is only one radio call away, ready and waiting to lift you from the surf.

I now live in the Findhorn Foundation, firmly on dry land, and all too often I hear people speak of the aircraft coming and going from nearby RAF Kinloss as a nuisance, a source of unwanted noise. Those people don't understand what I'm listening to when I hear that old bird revving her engines up; they have no idea that the Nimrod represents a friendly eye in the sky making the ocean a safer place for ordinary seamen just like me. They don't know about sinking boats, about ships caught in storms or about burning oil rigs, until some other, better-informed person comes along to explain to them about how no boat is unsinkable, about how much of the clothes on their backs and the food on their tables and the fuel in their cars travelled by sea, about how that noise is coming from an ever-watchful eye in the sky that'll be among the first to know when a ship is in trouble out there.

Now, on March 31st 2010, that eye will be closed as the Nimrod MR2 is withdrawn from service.

I know new aircraft will replace them, just as I know a good number of people who owe their lives to those old planes and the people who flew them; I am one of the many, many people who have over the years found themselves praying to any God (or airman, I'm not fussy) who might be listening to get them off this sinking ship alive.

To me, the enemy those aircraft protect us from is know as Davy Jones; those aircraft stand, ever vigilant, between guys like me and the deep blue sea. Search And Rescue may not mean much to most, but it means a lot to those of us who work or have worked on the ocean, and Maritime Reconnaissance is a term that might as well be joined at the hip to it.

It's the men in the yellow helicopters who'll haul you out the water when the shit hits the fan and the bows aim themselves for the depths. First, they must find you, and that's where the boys in the Nimrod are the best friends a sailor could wish for.

So, from the bottom of my heart, to everyone from 201, 120 and 42(R) Squadrons RAF, and to everyone who's ever had a part in keeping our eye in the sky aloft and the seas around us friendly – thankyou.

Your work has touched every coastal community in Scotland; the people along these coasts who do not have friends and family you helped lift from the ocean's relentless grip must be few and far between.

Health and long life to you all.

Cheers,
Cal.

Calum Wallace, the original poster, was talking from experience. AFAIK, he was planning on sending this as a message to the relevant squadron commanders and the local press.

<!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Gareth,
Thank you for that post. When we were married in 1974, we also lived in the Findhorn Foundation whilst our house along the coast in Nairn was being built.
SAR was a 24 hour duty about once every 2 weeks and it took about 15 well reheased minutes from being called during the day and about 20 at night to wheels up.
Hopefully the new Nimrod MR4 will be on stream soon but until then, I guess they will be trying to keep the skill set with the simulators at Kinloss.

Back