Nuts & Bolts

Just in case anyone cares, here is a list of the bolts and their associated washers and nuts I used when I switched over to AN fittings...

Front suspension:
AN8-26 for upper front wishbone, upper and lower damper mounts.
AN8-42 for upper rear, and both lower wishbone mounts.

Rear suspension:
AN8-26 for the upper damper, NAS1306-54 for the lower damper (could be a -53 but I couldn't get my hands on any), AN8-50 for the upper arm to the hub, AN8-34 for the lower a-arm at the chassis, AN6-34 for the lower a-arm rear at the hub, AN6-22 for both upper and lower trailing arm rears, and AN8-27 for both upper and lower trailing arms front.

Plus you need at least 2 washers for every connection (that worked out to 28 AN960-816 for the 1/2 bolts, a couple needed an extra washer, and 24 for the AN960-616 washers). Then the nuts are AN365-820 for the 1/2" and AN365-624 for 3/8". For the NAS1306 bolts I used NAS21042-6 nuts.

All the AN stuff came from Aircraft Spruce and the NAS came from Coast Fabrication.

Or am I just alone on this one?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Pat
Are these AN bolts and nuts similar to the
AN -10,-12 pipe fittings.I'm plumbing the fuel and dry sump oil system at the moment and am using -6 for fuel and -12 for oil.I don't know what they cost in the US but i've
just spent $500 and that doesn't include any pipe.They do look pretty though.I found after replacing the urethane bushes with bearings the original bolts were undersize in the bearing centres so I'm replacing all the bolts too,but I will probably use Unbrako or allen head close tolerance bolts.

Regards Ross

Ross
You could also use AN178-__ bolts (1/2" dia )which are close-tolerance and are commonly used in bug smasher under carrage pivot points.
regards

Clayton

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Clayton
Thanks for that I'll check that bolt out.Are they an aircraft bolt or something?
By the way Clayton the suspension work is on hold till I finish the car, however I will do an alignment, as the wheels are pointing in funny directions at the moment
Regards Ross

Ross,

There are AN bolts and there are AN plumbing fittings. There must be some relationship between them as the -# relates to it in terms of #/16 of an inch. So a -8 is 8/16" or 1/2", a -3 plumbing collar and nut would be for 3/16" brake line, and so.

As far looks they don't look different from what Robert sent. Now the NAS bolts look nice, but are twice the price of AN bolts. I just bought 2 of the NAS1306-54 last week and they cost me about $17. What the hell, I've spent enough as it is, what's a couple more bucks.

An refers to Army-Navy Standard Aircraft bolts. AN3 through AN20 refer to cadmimum plated high strength steel alloy general purpose structural bolts. They can usually be identified by a cross or asterik on the head. NAS refers to national Aerospace Standards. In many cases they have been conslidated into Military Standard (MS) designations.
AN-173 through AN-186 ,NAS-80 through NAS-86 (100 degrees countersunk) are close tolerence bolts which were designed for use in high performance aircraft in applications where the bolted joint is subject to severe load reversals and vibration.
L.W.Reithmaier, Aircraft Mechanics's Digest(Palmdale, CA: Palomar Books 1982)pp.86-87.

Thanks for the informative post, Pat. You sure have been putting Carrol Smith's book to good use.
wink.gif

I'm putting an online order together at Aircraft Spruce, and I get an invalid part number for the big, honking AN6-42 bolts. You say they carried them? Did you phone your order in?

Regards,
Mark

I'll have to go back and check. I know there were some they didn't carry in the size range, but I ended up with only one set of the NAS stuff. Double check and enter an "A" after the bolt for a non-drilled and see what it comes back with. Some you can only get drilled, some only undrilled. I'll double check tonight at home.

By the way, I'm sending you the AN flaring tool on Monday. I'm going to make another set of brake lines like Hershal did 'cause I like the way he did it. I'll knock those out and send it to you.

Okay, I checked the front suspension bolts and they are AN8-42 - with drilled shanks. Check and see, maybe it was the "A" suffix meant drilled shank or the "A" suffix meant undrilled shank. I know the only way I could get them was with the drilled shank.

FYI, I ended up ordering AN-43 bolts for the upper rear and both lower front wishbones, as they were available at a reasonable price. My order arrived yesterday and they look like they're the right size. Worst case is I'll need an extra washer on those bolts.

Back