Operational military jets Thunder City, Cape Town,

Holy cow - Juan Fangio? Lucky dog.

As for me, besides a Jackie Stewart signature, my avatar shows Senna at the 1990 Montreal GP where we snuck into the McLaren garage (as well as Lotus and Williams too). I literally bumped into Berger who was walking out. The Senna picture is actually one of my most prized photos, but I severely cropped it down for the avatar. I didn't have the nerve to walk over, he was studying something very intently. Besides, I wasn't supposed to be in there!

Hi Chris and Keith,

I think that David Morton is being modest. He was the captain on that flight which meant that the Maestro’s life was in his hands!

Through an amazing twist of fate, probably a million to one chance, I also met Fangio. When I arrived at Porsche in 1962 I had to wait for someone to resign before I could join the export/sales department. I took the opportunity to visit the pretty Brigitte in Baden-bei-Wien in Austria followed by Switzerland. But before I left Stuttgart I just had to visit the Mercedes-Benz museum. It was a mid-week morning and the place was desolate, in fact it was quiet as morgue. As I wandered around drooling over the magnificent machines in particular the racing cars I noticed two people in the far distance. As I drew nearer I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was looking at Juan Manuel Fangio and the great (in more ways than one) former racing manager, Alfred Neubauer.

When I was at school in the 1950s I was an avid Mercedes-Benz fan and used to devour all the 1954/1955 race reports. I also wrote to the factory to tell them how to design their cars and what colours to use. The one design for the 300SL Gullwing
was a foot operated pedal situated under the sills which would activate the door lock by means of rods. I received a lengthy letter from Daimler-Benz saying that they had sent my design to their body plant in Sindelfingen for ‘detailed analysis.’ The finding was that in the event of an accident the rods could become jammed and consequently they preferred their own door handle. When I finally joined Porsche I used to visit the Mercedes-Benz factory and once asked one of the directors why they would have bothered to write to a cheeky 14 year old upstart in Cape Town about his door handle idea. The reply was a good one. He said that in a flash a 14 year old is an adult and a potential Mercedes-Benz customer and that it was company policy to make kids feel good. He also reminded me that in the in-house magazine, ‘In Aller Welt’, there was a page of Mercedes-Benz drawings from kids all over the world. I said to him that his company certainly had my enduring respect and support. Other companies please take note of marketing lesson!

Back to Fangio and Neubauer. One of my letters was about colour schemes and I was gobsmacked that the letter was passed on to Herr Neubauer ‘for direct settlement.’ He put me in my place and didn’t say you cheeky little sh…! It’s still a treasured possession.

With heart pounding I approached the two gentlemen and introduced myself. I reminded Herr Neubauer about the letter and thanked him replying to me seven years earlier, whereupon he roared with laughter!

Naturally I asked JMF for his autograph. I told him that in 1955 I had painted a water colour of him and that if or when I returned to South Africa I would attach the autograph to the painting. That I did and it now hangs in my study.

Keith, sad about the British aircraft. automotive, motor cycle and shipping industries. Basically ain’t no more thanks to Harold Wilson and his cronies. When I moved to London from Germany in 1964, yes I was pleased to part of the Swinging 60s era but concerned about Labour’s apparent lack of understanding of good governance in particular their belief that money fell from the sky. Basically endless strikes for higher wages crippled the above industries. I recall a young doctor, a casualty officer at a London hospital, earning 20 pounds per week and not being able to afford to turn on the central heating whereas some of the working class guys would queue at the dole offices and moonlight to earn up to 50 quid a week. That just couldn’t have lasted.

I often think of those great British cars that were around me when I was growing up in Cape Town. When I met my wife she was working for Rootes in Devonshire House between Park Lane and Piccadilly Circus. Will I ever forget the glittering showroom full of Humbers, Hillmans, Singers and Sunbeams. No! We only ever drove Imps which were great little cars with their busy little Coventry Climax engines.

Then from 1979 Maggie Thatcher kicked arse and got it right. She then thanked Tony Blair for taking over where she left off. True, his Labour government is a far cry from Wilson’s.

The British aircraft designers and builders from WW1 to the 1960s were brilliant. Just think how quickly Reginald Mitchell’s Spitfire was up in the sky. David Chadwick’s Lancaster bomber is an another amazing story. He must have had a split mind for when he did the crossword puzzle every day he designed the Lancaster in the left hand column. Luckily his daughter still has all the newspapers, an amazing treasure trove. Like you I just couldn’t believe that the TSR2 was canned and I well remember the huge outcry from those involved and supporters of the project.
Sadly instructions were given that all jigs and tooling were to be destroyed. Must have been heartbreaking for the designers and their teams. If the Thunder City aircraft are 1950s vintage and still as good as they are TSR2 would, I agree, probably until today have been a world beater.

Amazing to think that TVR is now Russian owned and MG-Rover Chinese owned.
In 1946/7 when Major Ivan Hirst was given the job of selling the VW Beetle and no one wanted it can you image at the time a soothsayer predicting that VW would one day own Rolls-Royce. That incredibly bizarre thought at that time and under those circumstances would probably have demanded the death sentence!

A major consolation. The UK rules the world of motor sport and the industry with about 30000 members and an annual turnover of close to three billion pounds is a major export earner for the country. Also John Bloor’s wholly UK owned Triumph is doing very well with a wide range of great bikes.

A changing world indeed!
André 40

Hi Chris,

Judging by your pic you look like Ayrton Senna or is that thanks to photographic licence?

Andre 40

That picture IS Senna. I took it standing no more then 10 feet away from him. I have other pics from inside the McLaren garage, and Lotus and Williams. I remember standing about 4 feet from the back of a Lotus, changing lenses thinking "I hope they don't start that damn thing right now with lenses in my hands".... BLAM!! RRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrr they started that damn thing right up, blipping the throttle and all - LOUD but awesome sound. Actually, where my ears hurt were not in the Lotus garage, but standing at the exit to the second chicane (and 100 feet from the track behind a fence too). The Honda's were by far the loudest engines - I actually stuck my finger in my ear to see if it was bleeding (any medically astute person reading this would probably think that's ridiculous - for all I know if my ears were "bleeding" you probably can't find out that way - but I never experienced bleeding ears before and I DEFINITELY never experienced anything that loud before) The Ferraris were almost as loud, but certainly higher pitched - I remember at the time they had the highest revving engines. Wasn't it approaching 12,000 in 1990? That was the first time I ever really "heard" horsepower.

In a recent email I recieved the following.

Pilots Hone Their Skills For Upcoming Airshow Season.

Photography by Frans Dely/Aviationdimension.com

Early morning anglers are treated to the specta
of four T6 Harvard
Aircraft from The Flying Lions Aerobatic Team waterskiing across the
Klipdrift Dam near Johannesburg South Africa.

Lead by Scully Levin, with wingman Arnie Meneghelli, Stewart Lithgow
and Ellis Levin, this renown airshow display team rehearse a sequence for
the newly launched "Aviation Action" television program on Supersport.

Meneghelli from Academy Brushware, owner of the aircraft had this to say,
"What we did today I believe is a world first. It illustrates that South
African airshow pilots are amongst the best in the world".

This unusual act, approved by the South African Civil Aviation Authority
CAA), and supported by Castrol Aviation, was meticulously planned and took
place under the watchfull eye of divers and paramedics that were on site.

For more information, please contact Frans Dely on +2782 440 2707
or Scully Levin on +2783 500 8387.
three pics to follow.

Bill

Attachments

• 76194-Web1.jpg
    76194-Web1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 242
Thanks Bill,

I didn't know about this. One slip up and it's hello St Peter!

Scully Levin is a former South African Airways (SAA)captain and a brilliant stunt pilot.
He and the late Bob Olthoff, until recently the Superformance dealer in North Carolina, used to get up to all sorts of tricks in their aircraft in the Johannesburg area. Somehow Bob managed to land his Tiger Month on a moving VW 411, but we won't say too much about that!

If it's claimed that South Afican stunt pilots are the best in the world the ordinary pilots who think that they are stunt pilots are the wildest in the world.

In 1971 I thought in terms of buying a Cessna 182 for my expanding spray painting group and got to know the Cessna rep well. He offered me a trial run to our Kimberly, Bloemfontien and Welkom branches and I took along co-director, Chris Parry, who used to head up Firestone's racing tyre division near Heathrow Airport. We arrived at a quiet Kimberley Airport and as we taxied in I noticed a guy fussing around a Piper Cherokee. When we returned about two hours later there was pandemonium with police and emergency vehicles present. The idiot had 15 degrees flap, igntion on and no chocks under the wheels and swung the prop. The Cherokee fired up and started moving towards him and being a low wing aircraft he tried to duck under wing. However, when he got up the airstream had shut the door in the face and the Cherokee took off right over the runway where the Boeings would slowly taxi in towards the terminal builing. When we took off we had a close look at a Cherokee scattered in the veld outside the airport perimter.

We visited the Bloemfontein branch and when we left I looked north and saw what looked like a beige mist cloud. That's exactly what it was, a typical Orange Free State dust storm that would go as high as 10000 feet. That's what we flew into into and couldn't stop over at the Welkom branch. Air traffic control gave the Cessna man, who we then discovered wasn't instrument rated, hell and told him to pull his joystick back until he climbed out of it which he did and at 10200 feet we were suddenly in beautufil blue skies.

When we landed at Grand Central near Johannesburg where Cessna was based we were greeted by unusually high winds. The Cessna yawed and bounced and crabbed its way into a bumpy landing.

After that exciting initiation flight I said thanks but no thanks, it's quicker and more predictably by yellow Fiat 125, which tok me everywhere at 100 mph as there were no speed limits in South Africa at the time.

At least Mike Beachy Head is safe!

Best regards,
Andre 40

Back