Original Race Car Transporters

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Then there's this;

Volkner Mobil Car-Carrying Motor Home Could Be Yours For $1.2 Million - Volkner Mobil Performance - Jalopnik

volkner_mobil_2.jpg

volkner_mobil_2a.jpg

slk_mobile.jpg

For a measly 1.2m it can be yours!!!!

I don't have a photo I can put on here but in Pete Lyons "Can-Am" book there is a photo of one of the private 906 spiders coming out of the back of the Bus that was used to transport the Mini Coopers in the orginal "Italian Job" How cool would that be!! Cheers Leonmac

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
In 2004 I worked with Audi Team Veloqx, a team which was owned by a chinese guy Sam Lee. Sam was really a property developer in Shanghai and Hong Kong but really had a taste for the good life. He had a Ferrari - quite special apparently but he never let me have a go. And to move it around to the various continents he used to go to ? A Boeing 737.400 with dedicated flight crew and two 'plate layers'. Sam just loved to let you know you were a 2nd class guilo in his eyes.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Cabin Crew. Flight Attendants. Air Hostesses. Talking Freight. Them that lay your place setting on the table in front of you when you are a passenger. Then they bring food on a plate and lay it in front of you. Hence 'Plate Layers'.......

David, do you have any definitions for those plate layers that can't fit down the ailse
but sideways?? Many of these of late.

Yes James, I think the one in my pictures is the one sold at Barret Jackson.

Then I saw another one in Auburn, IN this summer when I went for the Kruse Auction.

The Futurliner was displayed near the Auburn Museum.
The museum is a hidden treasure in Indiana and really worth the visit, beautiful art deco building which used to be the Cord / Auburn / Duesenberg show room when they built those cars in there, beautifully restored and fantastic cars.

Happy to show you around if you ever make it over here!

JP

Last edited:
I visited a couple of years ago and was quite impressed. The old offices and design studio shops are intact much as they were, design models and all. Amazed to learn that Auburn also built aircraft engines.

Last edited:
This is still in regular use - not by Lotus though, it lives fairly close to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 658
Over the years, I've seen many different set-ups. My favorite stories are seeing Team McLaren and/or the Chapparals showing up at Can-Am races on flat trailers towed by a pickup w/ a spare motor in the bed. At the very next Trans-Am race Bud Moore showed up w/ two "moving van" like car haulers. One had a qualifying car for Parnelli, as well as his race car. The other had a car for George Follmer and spares - maybe even a lathe/drill press "machine shop."

The good old days?

shortbusstude-vi.jpg

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Over the years, I've seen many different set-ups. My favorite stories are seeing Team McLaren and/or the Chapparals showing up at Can-Am races on flat trailers towed by a pickup w/ a spare motor in the bed. At the very next Trans-Am race Bud Moore showed up w/ two "moving van" like car haulers. One had a qualifying car for Parnelli, as well as his race car. The other had a car for George Follmer and spares - maybe even a lathe/drill press "machine shop."

The good old days?

shortbusstude-vi.jpg

The Team McLaren trucks were Ford F250s (from Smith-Norwich Ford. Bill Smith was an investor in McLaren, former school mate of Teddy Mayer, and a friend of our family) towing single axle tag trailers. Your local Spec Miata guy has a more sophisticated rig nowadays!

Remember when the Penske transporter was stolen after the Daytona Continental and the Lola T70 Coupe was never recovered?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I remember going to Laguna Seca, early Friday morning before the 1970 Can Am race.

Team McLaren pulled in, remember, this was just after Bruce's death, but they were always well prepared.

They came in two white Chevy pickups, with plain aluminum bed covers. There was a M8D on a trailer behind each (no covers, just orange beauties), a spare nose on top of one pickup one and a spare tail on the other.

One pickup carried tools & wheels, the other spare motors..............Not to impressive, yet they ruled all.

My friend Doug and I helped them unload, and later in the day, when they roped off their pit area, they let us stay inside. We made ourselfs useful getting food and coffee. Tyler Alexander was a good guy, and it was quite a weekend.

Denny had burned hands from an Indy accident and Peter Gethin crashed, but Denny still won. All in all a great memory.

Last edited:
I like this one. Certainly original.

Looks better than the Mercedes transporter.

Attachments

• AMC Pacer car hauler.jpg
    AMC Pacer car hauler.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,752

Pat

Supporter
To me, this is the transporter classic:

Attachments

• Ecurie Ecosse.jpg
    Ecurie Ecosse.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 545
das ist auch schön