Original Specification Parts

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Greetings all,

Like so many, I was terribly saddened to learn first about the less than above-board tactic used by one of our own. We all understand the position taken by Jimmy, no doubt each one of us would’ve made the same move had we been placed in a similar position.

That said, I was recently faced with changing the properties of a few select pdf’s at work to disallow their printing. As easy as that was to do, I’m certain there must be a way this can be done to the photos in question, ensuring that a certain minority (with scruple issues) behave themselves while still providing a means of sharing this wonderfully valuable information with those who truly appreciate the opportunity to look and learn.

If I can be of any assistance, please dash off a PM.

Best to all,

T.

p.s. - what’s the electronic version of tar ‘n feathers…?

Ron Earp

Admin
I am checking on an Automatic watermark addition on posted photos to the forum. As pointed out though anything can be removed with time and effort, although it might distract the low effort folks.

Ron

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
p.s. - what’s the electronic version of tar ‘n feathers…?

cluepon.jpg

:D

James,

i've seen your new thread with the pictures only.

One comment - may I suggest you reposition the text such that it covers part of the subject item, else it is too easy for someone to crop off your text.

I too am astounded the lengths some go to in order to try to potentially con someone out of money...
I have to admit that I have in the past used a picture I have found on the web to help describe something (normally use the picture to show what I want), but never passed off the items shown as my own. To me this is using it for reference, which I assume most of you would find acceptible.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
John,
Maybe Ron can come up with a global watermark for the site but batching this stuff takes an age so I personally won't hold my breath unless there is a wizard idea out there.
There is software which prevents the illicit saving of files for copying - like the famous Racing Icons protected pages.

We all make copies of stuff for personal use are I assume this is acceptable by most of our members. The fact is that anybody out there can register on GT40s anytime FOR FREE and make copies of any of our material at their disposal and I doubt if we can stop it.

Now I want to say thankyou to everyone for their support here.
I'm overwhelmed as I guess I didnae' realise how many readers were interested.

Last edited:
JimmyMac,

Yes we are, and I will say I am in support 100% to protect this forum and the members from this type of illegal activity. I will even donate $$$ if necessary to get this in check with protecting future pictures from being hacked.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
James,

I only just learned about the use of your endless hours of effort to line some slimy bugger's pockets. I am appalled at this and will pledge my every effort as an admin to do what I can to help in this regard.

I know that I give you a ration about originality*, but at the same time I am filled with vastly more admiration for the work you have done in collecting and documenting original parts for the GT40. I am even more impressed with the altruistic quality that you have shown in sharing them with the GT40 enthusiast's community in an open venue like GT40s.com. Indeed, I opened this thread today to praise the fruits of your toil in the "no comments" thread. And, to suggest that thought be given to committing your work to the printed page; an effort that would surely find a great deal of appreciative support on this forum.

Unfortunately, the old saw that says "no good deed goes unpunished" has been proven to be true once again by the actions of one conscience-less individual. We can find a means of minimizing this type of behavior; but, with human nature being what it is, it will never be completely done away with. But, if we allow this type of behavior to prevent us from pursuing that which provides us with enjoyment not only has one unscrupulous individual succeeded in defrauding good people of money but he will have also succeeded in robbing us of our joy; we cannot allow this to happen either.

Regards,
Lynn

*It is not actually your dedication to originality, but this is not the time or place to go into that.

HILLY

Supporter
I will be another to admit that I have profited from this thread, the enormous amount of work that James has devoted to his passion and his generosity in sharing his work with us all.
Unfortunately when it comes to the monetary aspects their always seems to be a healthy flow in the outward direction. Having said that, the ability to cross reference the bits and pieces that you find along the way against a reliable and detailed source, along with the freely available advice and guidance, has saved many dollars on incorrect and overpriced purchases.
It is great to see that one of the corner stone threads of this forum has been resurrected for all to enjoy and learn about the essence of why we are all here. (Or most of us at least).
Thank you James and all the other contributors that make this forum the asset that it is.

PS. Can we post on your new thread James ????

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
G'Day mate,
It's the forum's thread so post away.

Trouble is that there are so many good photos in this thread which have been dis-jointed now (my fault). And we lost almost 12000 hits on the scorecard.
I would prefer it if everybody's photos were in one clean thread and we could ditch this one. This one is expressing the negative too much.

Your lighting bits are on their way to OZ.

HILLY

Supporter
I love that salutation. At this rate you will be able to mix with the locals before you know it.;)
I don’t think that the forum has lost too much but on a positive note I was glad to see the outspoken support and admiration of your efforts that is not often realised.

Back