Own an american legend

Why does the SuperFormance website have this as a tag line?? Is it referring to the Safir cars or the GT40 as a whole?? (There is most likely a thread discussing this but I could not find it).

Now we all know the GT40 is a British car, with a few American parts thrown in, so wondered why the 'OWN AN AMERICAN LEGEND' on the site?

(Lights touch paper and hides)

Grant :curtain:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Grant,

Although I could and have argued both sides of this debate, I think the reason for the "American Legend" tag, is that it was Americans (Henery Ford II) who initiated the project, paid for the project, used motors made in the USA and Ford Engineers worked with Lola on the design. Additionally its early racing sucess came with a US team, Shelby.

There appears to be a stronger argument that Cobras are a British car with a US motor. As the AC chassis was in existance when Shelby started the Cobra project.

Some current example of this are Fourmula 1 teams. Honda and Toyota were based in England yet they were called Japanese teams. Currently Red Bull is based in England, but when they win, they play the Austrian National Anthem.

My GT40 was made in South Africa.....................

More Lockheed F-104 were built in Europe than in the US, but it is still a US aircraft.

The new Boeing 787 has parts built all over the world, but it is definately a US aircraft.

The Mazda that I saw win Le Mans in 1991 was built in England, yet it is considered to be the first Japanese car to win Le Mans.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I know that I have made this next argument several times, but here I go again......

If the GT40 is a US car, then the great American, war winning fighter aircraft, the North American P-51 Mustang could be considered a British Aircraft.

The P51 project was initiated and paid for by the British, some British designers worked with North American and they ended up using British Merlin motors.

So in reality, we can't have it both ways..............wait, this is America, we can have it both ways:)

Last edited:
It's European, get over it Yanks. ;p

Since you abandoned us in the EEC you're European, so get over it Poms. ;p

:poke:

Tim

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
It's European, get over it Yanks. ;p

Since you abandoned us in the EEC you're European, so get over it Poms. ;p

Tim
Hey Tim,
Don't feel deserted mate - you guys will all be speaking Greek pretty soon now. :tongue3:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Since you abandoned us in the EEC you're European, so get over it Poms. ;p/QUOTE]Posted by Roaldin

Roaldin, I'm kind of slow, can you please explain what you mean. EEC, Poms?

How does this pertain to the GT40 country of birth?

Jim, this is what Wikipedia has to say:
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 27 member states which are located primarily in Europe.<SUP id=cite_ref-Oxford_Dictionary_of_English_8-0 class=reference>[7]</SUP> The EU traces its origins from the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) and the European Economic Community (EEC), formed by six countries in 1958. In the intervening years the EU has grown in size by the accession of new member states, and in power by the addition of policy areas to its remit. The Maastricht Treaty established the European Union under its current name in 1993.<SUP id=cite_ref-EU1993_9-0 class=reference>[8]</SUP> The last amendment to the constitutional basis of the EU, the Treaty of Lisbon, came into force in 2009.
The EU operates through a hybrid system of supranational independent institutions and intergovernmentally made decisions negotiated by the member states.<SUP id=cite_ref-Britannica_10-0 class=reference>[9]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-CIA_11-0 class=reference>[10]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-12 class=reference>[11]</SUP> Important institutions of the EU include the European Commission, the Council of the European Union, the European Council, the Court of Justice of the European Union, and the European Central Bank. The European Parliament is elected every five years by EU citizens.
The EU has developed a single market through a standardised system of laws which apply in all member states including the abolition of passport controls within the Schengen area.<SUP id=cite_ref-Internal_borders_13-0 class=reference>[12]</SUP> It ensures the free movement of people, goods, services, and capital,<SUP id=cite_ref-Europa_Internal_Market_14-0 class=reference>[13]</SUP> enacts legislation in justice and home affairs, and maintains common policies on trade,<SUP id=cite_ref-15 class=reference>[14]</SUP> agriculture,<SUP id=cite_ref-16 class=reference>[15]</SUP> fisheries and regional development.<SUP id=cite_ref-17 class=reference>[16]</SUP> A monetary union, the eurozone, was established in 1999 and is currently composed of 17 member states. Through the Common Foreign and Security Policy the EU has developed a limited role in external relations and defence. Permanent diplomatic missions have been established around the world and the EU is represented at the United Nations, the WTO, the G8 and the G-20.

It basically de-nationalized individual European countries. Take from the rich & give to the poor deal, which makes the rich poor! Everyone looses in the long run. Anyone else care to comment on how it is going for you guy's in Europe?
"The European Parliament is elected every five years by EU citizens". Yeah right! Should read politicians! The only benefactors have been Spain, Portugal and Eastern Europe to the detrement of all else. IMO, of course.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
OK,

So what did Roaldin mean when he said:

"It's European, get over it Yanks. ;p"

"Since you abandoned us in the EEC you're European, so get over it Poms. ;p"

Pom, pomme, pommy, pomegranite are deragatory terms referring to immigrants of British origin. Me thinks I drank too much Fosters!

The GT40 is a siginficant car in automotive racing history but it is widely regarded as an American race car that went to Europe and dominated for four years at LeMans, taking away much of the thunder of Ferrari (then the dominant European racing manufacturer). That's the storyline at least. What's less known is the heavy involvement in the development and design (particularly in the early days before Shelby's involvement) of Broadley/Lola/etc - a decidely British contingent.

However, again, what put the GT40 on the racing road map is the fact that it was hugely funded by Ford (an American company), and gained its success at LeMans primarily under the direction of the American Shelby camp.

Like most things in life the truth is often much more complicated than the headline sound bite.....

It's a bloody lovely car whatever the ancestry.
Call it American, no problem for me.
Call it British, no problem for me either.

Damn shame that they had to have so many Kiwis to drive & prep them, but hey its still happening today..oil leaks, no hub seals, creaking wheel bearings, spacers to get the original Motor / replica/trans assy to fit in the replicated chassis, makes me wonder what this iconic replication will throw up next for a bit of #8 wire tech:)

Brian Stewart
Supporter
David Hodges book has it right...

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 233

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I think whoever pays the bill decides what the nationality is, although we all know that the Mk IV program was in part motivated by a desire to ethnically cleanse the car, so clearly Ford themselves were ambivalent about the Mks I and II.

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
And when the Shelby Cobra won the FIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP wasn't the effort actually run by his good friend (and Brit racing legend) Alan Mann?

Hi Jim, just yanking chains ;)

EEC affected Australia somewhat (signed off by "our" monarch as well I believe).
Pom is just our pet name for our English brothers. It's friendly, I promise. ;)
As I see it, the English are just a little more proud of being English than they are of being European.

Just poking fun. ;)

Obviously the GT is Australian but I just couldn't be bothered raking over those old coals again... ;)

Tim.

Last edited:
Back