Parking brake

I might use one of these at some point. I wouldn't use it to leave the car on a hill while I went into a resturant to eat dinner but it might be useful to hold the car while you tie it down on a trailer for example.

Park-Lok Hydraulic Brake

That seems to be a popular device among the rock climbing crews, but I didn't buy it because it's too bulky (imho)

Besides, you can't really compare a $20 parking brake found at places like JC Whitney to a $180 industrial strength ball valve.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I ran across these mechanical parking brake calipers today so I don't have any additional information. I have a set of Brembo parking brake calipers from my Viper that I was considering for use, but these may be lighter weight and simpler to install:

Mechanical Parking Brake Calipers

A number of Pantera owners are using those with upgraded aftermarket calipers that don't have an integral parking brake.

Similar 'spot' calipers (for karts) are offered by Wilwood under part #'s 120-2280 and 120-2281 (left & right) for $60 ea.

Julian,

I'm using the Brembo upgrade on my SLC. Will the Wilwood cart calipers work on the big brake rotors? Haven't measured the rotor thickness but I'm guessing about 1.3".

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Julian,

I'm using the Brembo upgrade on my SLC. Will the Wilwood cart calipers work on the big brake rotors? Haven't measured the rotor thickness but I'm guessing about 1.3".

Doc - I could be wrong but I believe the Wilwood mechanical spot calipers can be adjusted to virtually any rotor thickness by using a different thickness spacer between the caliper halves.

Dave L

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Doc - I could be wrong but I believe the Wilwood mechanical spot calipers can be adjusted to virtually any rotor thickness by using a different thickness spacer between the caliper halves.

Dave L

You're not wrong...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave, it simply locks the line pressure to the front or rear brakes. You press the foot brake pedal and then lift the red lever - job done. To release the brake line pressure simply push the lever and the brakes are released. Very very simple.
Dave M

Dave L
Or you could order these from the UK. Rally Design have the patent on it, and Wilwood don't sell them in the US. Fits a standard Cosworth vented rear disc (178x22)

120-8726-HB.jpg

A number of Pantera owners are using those with upgraded aftermarket calipers that don't have an integral parking brake.

Similar 'spot' calipers (for karts) are offered by Wilwood under part #'s 120-2280 and 120-2281 (left & right) for $60 ea.

The IPS mechanical calipers are very high quality units. I have the Wilwood "cart" calipers too and there is no comparison, they went in the shelf.

A great feature of the IPS units is the integral floating mount, just bolt it up to a hard point. I'm only running a solid rear disc (for a 1500lb car), but here's my combination of 2-piston Wilwood calipers and the IPS mechanicals.

RearBrakesetup1.jpg
Rearbrakesfinished4.jpg

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I built an Ultima GTR, which of course has big brakes. It uses manual calipers for emergency/park brakes. Nothing fancy but very functional and legal. The brakes on my car are from AP Racing and I assume the manual E-brake calipers are the same. Space and configuration restrictions are seemingly about the same as an RCR application.
If there is one thing I learned from the Muscle Cars in the sixties: It's one thing to go fast, (which they did), and another thing to STOP, (which they didn't)!!
David

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I built an Ultima GTR, which of course has big brakes. It uses manual calipers for emergency/park brakes. Nothing fancy but very functional and legal. The brakes on my car are from AP Racing and I assume the manual E-brake calipers are the same. Space and configuration restrictions are seemingly about the same as an RCR application.
If there is one thing I learned from the Muscle Cars in the sixties: It's one thing to go fast, (which they did), and another thing to STOP, (which they didn't)!!
David

The early e-brake caliper is an in-house design I believe, later (last 5 yrs) cars use a Brembo e-brake caliper.

I have a pair of Spot Calipers that I plan to use on the P4. However, to operate them I am thinking about incorporating an electrical servo system similar to that used on many modern day cars. Press a button, servo tensions the cables. Sounds simple enough, but then I know nothing. Anyone on here able to advise me on the plausability of that idea?

The P4's didn't have a parkin brake back in the day. So if I can do away with the lever and discretly hide a button under the dash, I'd be a happy bunny. Presumably the cable servo unit could be located anywhere, so long as the cables have a decent line of sight to the calipers?

I would love some feedback from you guys though.

TIA

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I have a pair of Spot Calipers that I plan to use on the P4. However, to operate them I am thinking about incorporating an electrical servo system similar to that used on many modern day cars. Press a button, servo tensions the cables. Sounds simple enough, but then I know nothing. Anyone on here able to advise me on the plausability of that idea?

The P4's didn't have a parkin brake back in the day. So if I can do away with the lever and discretly hide a button under the dash, I'd be a happy bunny. Presumably the cable servo unit could be located anywhere, so long as the cables have a decent line of sight to the calipers?

I would love some feedback from you guys though.

TIA

That's a really good idea, and I might just steal it for my SPF. My first thought is to use a "gearmotor" which is a combined motor and gearbox by which you can get practically any amount of torque you want; you just trade speed. In fact, an automotive electric window motor might be a good candidate. I'd be tempted to just wind the cable around the gearmotor's outuput shaft and then run it until it groans.

Here's a random example, although I suspect this particular one is not strong enough. With it's 8 mm shaft wound with cable and 48-in lbs of torque it would pull about 12 lbs.

Surplus Center - 21 RPM 12 VDC RA GEARMOTOR

I'm thinking from memory a typical handbrake lever probably has a ~15:1 lever ratio, so if pulling it up with, say 10 lbs force applies the brake well enough, you wouild need ~150 lb on the cable. Yikes. Anyway all that's easy enough to measure. I am a little worried about the abilitiy to get enough torque in a reasonable size/wieght package though.

Last edited:
Glad you like the idea Alan. But I mean it when I say "I know nothing"! LOL

I'm going top check with the parts dept people at a modern day car dealership to see if they can advise on what parts are available to make it work, then track down the items from salvage yards etc.

If you have any further ideas on the system, please keep in touch and we can share the findings/develope the plan further.

Best,

Mark

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Can't help myself (delusional due to heat, mosquitoes, and lack of common sense)....I place a 65" DOM bar through the spokes of both rear wheels so that it catches the framing if it rolls.....

Bada boom?

:)

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Can't help myself (delusional due to heat, mosquitoes, and lack of common sense)....I place a 65" DOM bar through the spokes of both rear wheels so that it catches the framing if it rolls.....
Hey we can put a solenoid on that. Just don't press the button when you're rolling.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
This looks even better. Especially with the relay and wiring kit. What do you think?

12" Linear Actuator 200lb Adjustable Stroke 12-Volt DC on eBay (end time 15-Aug-10 19:20:42 BST)

Wow, that looks perfect! I had continued to look for gearmotors but the results were not encouraging. This weekend I'll try to measure cable force for the SPF parking brake, although being a drum it will likely require less than a caliper brake.

And if that doesn't work, this sure as hell will:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333245_200333245?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Grounds%20Maintenance%3ELawn%20%2B%20Garden%20Utility%20Trailers&cm_ite=125012?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=125012

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Unlock the secrets of electronic parking brakes - Knowing how Electric Parking Brake systems work is the key to safe system repairs. - Aftermarket Business - Wholesaler, retailer automotive parts

Here is a load of info re electric parking brakes, which mainstream cars have the various systems and the components used. Now down to the scrappie.

John McL.

The EPM module from the LR Discovery 3 looks just right, although LR3 owners complain of failures associate with debris in the brakes, and cost $650 at the parts counter. None on ebay right now, but let's keep an eye out... There is an after-market LR parts place that sells them for $350.

Last edited:
Back