Period Firestone or Goodyears???

Please can someone tell me where I can get hold of either road legal Goodyear or Firestone tyres which are roughly 215/70/15 & 275/70/15? I have an original set of Dunlop crossplies, but they're "race only". It's for occasional light road work on my GT40. I'm not sure whether Goodyear Blue Streaks are road or race spec? Originally, my car ran on Firestones and it would be nice to find some period tyres to suit the rest of the car. I have a period set of mag BRMs which are 10" &12" wide. I'm also considering buying a set of 8.5" & 11" period F3L wheels, o
nce used on "FEL1C", so I do have a choice of widths. Any suggestions for dealers or even, pre-owned tyres in the UK? My GT40 will never be driven in anger on these tyres, but they mustn't invalidate the insurance, hence the Dunlops are for the track only. I understand Avons are the best, but I'm not keen on the 55% & 60% profiling, because as you know, my car is to be kept as 100% original as possible. I await the response from the floor??? Andrew

The Goodyears are 'race only' and I think the ones currently labeled 'Cobra' in the Goodyear price lists etc would be close to the size reqd.... but then if its going to be 100% original then you wont be driving it on the road will you as it or its original inspiration was a race only car.... buy a trailer....:):):)

Hi Jac.. the bodywork off 1001 which I'm using to reconstruct my GT40 was registered for the road in 1970 in Tonbridge, Kent, following scrutiny by Maidstone Police. As this is a mongrel of old GT40 parts, some coming from road cars, then I haven't a problem using period or rather period-style road tyres anyway. In any case, wasn't the GT40 designed to be both a road & race car??? Cheers.. Andrew

Andrew

take a look at Hossiers. They are DOT tires and they have no or almost no thread ( so could have them cut with the original tread pattern)
They also have the sizes which would fit your rims ( on a 10" the 215 is probably to small).
Just don´t drive them in the rain, butthey also would do good on the track.

TOM

Back