Perpetually leaking wilwood reservoirs?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I too went with the Tilton. It has proven to be a solid leak free solution. Do it once and do it right.

2012072102.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'm ready to install my Tilton, but I do have one bit of reservation - the cap on them has a tiny vent hole that is just a straight hole down.
It's exposed to atmosphere but it is not straight down. There is a baffle in the opening that prevents slosh induced leakage.

I do agree the Tilton is awesome BUT BUT BUT I have concerns about their vent setup - it's just a tiny pin prick hole in the cap. If I blow on either end air blows through the other end, so it doesn't open under pressure, for example.

i don't want to be changing brake fluid ever 6mths, so I'm having trouble understanding why having the master cylinder have a straight open hole is any different than poking a hole in a bottle of brake fluid and leaving it sit on my shelf for a year. Nobody (e.g., Tilton) is concerned about that and I can't figure out why.

edit: I spoke to Tilton again and they said it would take 3-5yrs in a very a humid for the brake fluid to reach maximum absorption (and even then, as long as you arn't tracking the car you'd probably never notice), so I guess change the fluid every 5yrs and you're good to go probably.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would suggest that flushing brake and clutch fluid once a year is pretty easy and might in fact be a good thing to do. My clutch circuit fluid was nasty after just a thousand miles. Brake fluid is cheap...

I would suggest that flushing brake and clutch fluid once a year is pretty easy and might in fact be a good thing to do. My clutch circuit fluid was nasty after just a thousand miles. Brake fluid is cheap...

I'm lazy, I don't want to do it more than once every 10yrs :)

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but that is one beautiful picture. I enjoy shots like this as much as exterior body pictures. I was going to write a long epistle on why, but thought of the quote instead: "For those that understand no explanation is necessary - for those that don't, none will suffice". Awesome

hah, I finally got them to seal and not leak or weep - the trick is to use the aero-seal clamps and tighten the piss of out them until you think you're going to crack the plastic, then tighten somemore :D

Using the Tilton piece would have been easier but I didn't feel like bleeding my brakes so I held out hope I could get this to work :D

For reference, at the master cylinders I'm still using the supplied spring clamps and they work very well - no leaks or weaps, but that's because it's sealing plastic on metal.

RageFace-250x197.jpg

I thought maybe, just maaaaybe, the aero seal clamps would do the trick .... I didn't see any weeppy weeepy for a few months so I figured maybe I was in the clear. Then I found a small puddle underneath my car yesterday ... peeked through the rim and saw the fluid was building up in the floor pan again.

Grrr, these POS remote cylinders are coming out tomorrow and getting smashed with a hammer for giving me so much aggravation. I should have just installed the Tilton unit last year like I was planning on. I'm not going to even try tightening the aero seal clamps again - last time I got out my little 1/4'' rachet and went as tight as possible (I didn't care if I cracked the plastic or not) so I don't think I can go any harder at it.

1. I've fought Wilwood M/C for years of slow leaks
2. Porsche plastic reservoirs have similar hole and I've had similar concerns
3. Not rare at all for us to see fluid pushed out during track use and fluid expansion IF not slosh of these Plastic lids. To the point that many run over flow bottles or drain lines through trunk floor.
4. Alex......If your going to play with the big boys and run a BBC in a Pcar :D Your going to have to invest in a power brake bleeder and just flush system. If your not needing to flush brakes after a track day, maybe your not driving hard enough :) Personally like the ATE typ200 Blue as best for bang your for buck.

1. I've fought Wilwood M/C for years of slow leaks
2. Porsche plastic reservoirs have similar hole and I've had similar concerns
3. Not rare at all for us to see fluid pushed out during track use and fluid expansion IF not slosh of these Plastic lids. To the point that many run over flow bottles or drain lines through trunk floor.
4. Alex......If your going to play with the big boys and run a BBC in a Pcar :D Your going to have to invest in a power brake bleeder and just flush system. If your not needing to flush brakes after a track day, maybe your not driving hard enough :) Personally like the ATE typ200 Blue as best for bang your for buck.

I don't track my cars - after killing myself building them I'd rather not see them break from abuse :D

My problem wasn't leaking through expansion, it was the bloody joints on the Wilwoods. The masters are fine (sealing plastic on metal), no weepy, my remote reservoirs (sealing plastic on plastic) were not fine. But that's now been taken care of :D

*sigh* I don't seem to be able to catch a break thesedays......installed the triple reservoir, filled it up, studied it, then noticed for the life of me I can't tell how full each reservoir is. No matter how hard I study the sight window I don't see any visual difference between a reservoir that's filled to the top and one that's empty?

For those who're using the Tilton piece, am I overlooking something? Can you look at your sight windows and quickly tell how full/empty each reservoir is?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Alex, not sure what to tell you. In the picture above of my setup you can clearly see the fluid level. Have you tried pointing a flashlight at it from the side?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Alex, not sure what to tell you. In the picture above of my setup you can clearly see the fluid level. Have you tried pointing a flashlight at it from the side?

That's what I was going to suggest.. :thumbsup:

Also, you should not be filling them all the way up. To the top of the white plastic would be more than sufficient. You need to have room for expansion in there..

I fill mine a little over 1/2 way and yes on the flashlight - hold the beam directly against the side case - it's like x-ray vision.....

hold the beam directly against the side case - it's like x-ray vision.....

uh uh uh if I do that i can magically see the level now ... I swear I'm not stupid, honest :D (I was pointing the light straight on at it thinking that would be sufficient, guess not)

Although a little bit disappointed that you can't just stare straight at it and easily see what the level is (like you can with the Wilwoods), but on the other hand I do like that I'm not weeping brake fluid for the first time in a year :D

Leak/weep free for 3 days ... haha, that's a major milestone for me .. I finally win against the remote reservoirs, haha :D

Back