Pistons for std bore; where?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I may have to get new pistons when I put my new heads on to accomodate the valves. My block is a dead stock 5.0L, but I can't find pistons in standard size??? I checked on Summit, Jegs, JE, SRP and all of them only listed .030" oversized. Do they have them, but I have to ask for them? Can anyone suggest someone who does carry std bore pistons? I would like to have around 10:1 compression and my heads are 58cc.

Thanks,
Lynn

Call: Probe, JE, Ross. They have them (Probe is part of Coast High Perfomance and they sell 302s built to order in new blocks), it's just that most people aren't working with a new block so very few people order standard size.

Go to: http://www.coasthigh.com , click on Products, then Pistons, then SRS. They have a table that will give you compression ratios with different pistons. Flat tops are 9.5:1 with 58cc heads. If you want to get closer than that they can make them custom to your specs.

How many miles do you have on the engine? Are you planning at least a light hone? You will probably need a freshly honed surface for the new rings to seat against.

Standard bore pistons are available from Summit as I got a set for my engine. You have to talk to a tech and they had mine in stock.

Vic

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Thanks guys! Seems most, if not all, do make std pistons, but, as mentioned, most people rebuilding want oversize.

I liked CPR's approach C.H. simple and straight forward. Looks like to build my dream basic short block from them (not counting the Dart block) will run around $1800. Forged pistons for my mild block are ~60/per.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Back