placing an engine in the place

My question is as a less builder and more driver: how many hours does it take to remove a Ford 302 from a GTD and place it back in the car?
Why i want to know that is because my garage is doing it in stages.
And i think that cost a lot of hours.

Btw my car was brought in the last week of march and still the car is not ready.
When my car is ready i will fight the bill, loosing the tax and insurance and halve year of drivingfun. (you can just drive the car only in the summer).

Who can give me a answerd on this?

Hi Luc, on average the removal of a GTD engine from start to placing it on the ground is about 2 hours, to rebuild that back into the car, assuming that all parts are prepared and ready, will take about twice that, allowing for adjustments and fitting new gaskets etc. If the car is fitted with more complications, like multiple webers etc, allow a bit more. If you want that in writing for dispute just call me. Frank

Thanks Frank,

The day is still young, so i think it will last sertainly a few weeks.

I thank you Frank for the quick answers, i will see you in oktober in Spa.

Regards,

Luc

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am not quite as quick as Frank but I am certain that I can pull a motor and gearbox repair a clutch for example and have the car back on the road in the same day. By myself. The most difficult part for me is removing the rear bodywork alone and not hurting the paint.

I usually make a weekend project out a a powertrain swap just because I like to take my time at it.

I think I would call it about 8-10 hours labor if I had to put a number on it. If a shop is talking DAYS not hours I would really question how much they know about the car and whats involved in the job.

Have a buddy over for a couple of beers and a burger and do it yourself. Learning how to work on these cars is half the fun!

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
Frank's number seem reasonable to me and what I would expect for my car but my engine is a simple install. The more often you do it the easier it becomes.

Back