Poll - Does man contribute to global temperature increases?

Assuming the average global temperature is increasing, is mankind contributing ?

• No, mankind is not contributing to the global temperature increase.

Votes: 66 52.8%
  • Yes, mankind is contributing to the global temperature increase.

Votes: 59 47.2%

• Total voters

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Just wait and see how much the volcano in the Phillipines will contribute to "man's demise"

Come on do you really think that the earth is a test tube and everything is constant? I doesn't take a rocket (environmental) scientist and his useless data to figure that out.

Wait a minute! we have been on this earth what .0000001 % of the time of the earths existence? We are like an ant crawling up the back of an elephant thinking were gonna get some. Blow it out your backside (there goes those methane emmissons) our childrens childrens childrens childrens childrens childrens children will see no more than 3 degrees difference if the planet isn't destroyed by then. Oh we can do that. worry about the camel jockey in Iran with a nuclear weapon. volcanos blowing up. meteors from space. Don't forget aliens (from another planet, don't you know).

This is fun. Worrying about the future when we can't get enough "jobs" because we gave them all to the Chinese. Thanks my government!

This is like the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?". There's no good answer, but, as I slog through a foot of new snow with 3 layers of clothes on,I think man may contribute to a fraction of a degree. As somebody said, "wait till Mt Whoosywhatsit blows" and our situation will change a lot more than we could affect it.

Keith

Whaaat? That's pretty disturbing news.. Snow in CT in the winter time?

I fear the GW theorists may be right after all... :laugh:

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
I believe the average temperature of the Earth is increasing at the moment, I just don’t believe the behavior of mankind is the thing driving it. The “millions of smoke stacks" argument actually does not "stack" up when it is compared to the contributions of volcanic activity, other geoseismic venting, decomposition of algae in the seas, and even animal flatulence.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT face=
How can the entire scientific community agree that the Earth is subject to global climactic change that occurs on cycles on the order of thousands or even tens of thousand of years, and these cycles cause such things as glaciation of the continents (which is obviously a much more radical expansion and contraction of the polar ice caps than what we see now), tropical environments to become deserts, etc, yet, so many of the so-called experts want to ignore all this and look to the last 25-100 years to make their comparisons and declarations about global warming? Even now the title of the cause must changed to "global climactic" change as a catch all to explain the more recent decrease in temperature or include localized affects around the globe.
<o:p></o:p>
I also don’t buy any of the alarmist cries about the potential for the Earth to reach some tipping point where it cycles out of control and becomes a cinder or goes to some other unrecoverable state. The Earth is actually quite resilient and has survived much more dramatic events than the evolution of mankind. At best, the impact decsribed would be that to mankind. The Earth would clear its throat and move on.
Having said all this, I don’t think any of the above should be license to act irresponsibly. A more valid issue to me would be conservation of the resources which are finite in supply, and our ability to consume them could challenge our ability to develop suitable and practical replacements.
Kelly

Last edited:
Whaaat? That's pretty disturbing news.. Snow in CT in the winter time?

I fear the GW theorists may be right after all... :laugh:
Keith,the sarcasm was not lost; you're right, it's a constant occurence. But it seems we're going in the reverse of the predicted pattern here in the Northeast U.S. The past couple of summers have been wet and cool, with the wettest July on record and a stretch of days in the same month with the lowest temperatures on record ( low 40's F, 4-5 C) for the area for mid July - more like a NZ winter. The major difference is we don't have Spring anymore. The cold stretches into May with freezing temps and occasional light snow early in the month although our total snowfall isn't any greater than normal. It's hard to envision global warming when you're looking at the ocean harbors frozen over thick enough to drive a car on (pic from early 80's taken while standing in/on the main channel)

Attachments

• channel buoy,Stony Creek.jpg
    channel buoy,Stony Creek.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Fact the earth has gone thru warming and cooling. First they were screaming global cooling then global warming. When Gore had to cancel his speach tour because of unseasonal cold temps they quickly changed the name to climate change. But if the earth has naturally warmed and cooled what are the paramaters they want to have it adhere to? I agree preventing polutants is a great thing. I remember the streams clogged with sludge and fish dying. Trash up and down our hiways. I see the difference when I fly into California. The pilot can see the ground before 100ft. But when there is the technology to clean up emissions we should and not let them pay to not do it. Polution is bad but if you pay the govt millions it is ok? It kills me to see politicans voting so we cannot access our natural gas resourses. Do you realize how much the price of gas would drop if they did that? My car runs on natural gas. It is less than 1/4 the price of gas. I think it cost me $2.70 to go 140 miles. My oil at 5000km changes looks almost new. It would be so easy for the US to set up refilling stations on the major hiways first. Transport cost would drop. Emissions would drop. Then refilling stations in major cities. Major heavy polution would stop there. Many jobs would be created. No new technology is needed. They could make them even more efficient if they were not dual fuel. This garbage about ethanol is silly. Use corn. Well how much goes into producing that corn? Electirc? Most electric is generated by coal. Yes keep developing wind and solar. But natural gas is there now. No new things to invent. Look at France. They use nuke power safely. Why cant we? My home in Missouri I can see the cooling towers from the nuke plant. That area has more forest and wildlife arround to equal most but the remote places. Sorry about the long rant but it upsets me when the politicans and the so called people that want to protect the environment do just the opposite. I sincerely hope every politican that is in office both rep and dem gets voted out of office. Vote for whoever is not in office. Ok Im done. :) Oh 1 last thing. How much HP can you make on fuel that has 120 to 130 octane? :)
Jim

This, I am sorry all but describes the human race...

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure".

The Matrix

Chris

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
It kills me to see politicans voting so we cannot access our natural gas resourses. Do you realize how much the price of gas would drop if they did that? :)
Jim

I have long wondered WHY the environmentalist are only concerned with OUR environment. They could care less if we contaminate any number of places as we get oil from afar and transport it to the ships and transport it across the oceans and then unload it here...only to be transported one more time. Eliminating the cost of just the fuel needed to do that there is also the extra number of places that any spill can contaminate/pollute. I sometimes wonder if the legislations that pass are done to for certain failure. It doesn't take much a of a look back, to see how many things that politicians have screwed up in their "attempt" to correct something.
As the economy gets worse or remains stagnant, every govt. agency is looking at ways to generate new taxes/fees/revenues (global warming sounds like a windfall)because they spend it like a crack addict in a whore house. Why is it every private industry is taking cuts/hits yet the govt. agencies just get bigger and fatter. They announced a few months ago that the U of I was raising tuition next year...so ALL those leaches on the taxpayers can keep their jobs. This morning I saw a Michigan State professor lamenting on how hard it is for students to get by and how they were setting up a food pantry for the students. The one thing I didn't hear,as he asked for donations , was his willingness to take a salary cut. How many profs are there?? I would estimate maybe 1000 here( my wife thinks that's low). Let me see...if they all contributed $100 to the pantry, they could probably have all they need. We just paid $100 for the return of our dog, and it was a rescue dog, and they can't get up off money that is being stolen from the workers in this country to insure their own jobs?? Screw them and every damn leach on the taxpayers.

proud supporter of Ron Paul

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I sometimes wonder if the legislations that pass are done to for certain failure.... It doesn't take much a of a look back, to see how many things that politicians have screwed up in their "attempt" to correct something.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Politicians do NOT have the best interest of the U.S. first and foremost in their minds. So far as I can see their priorities are:

First--whatever benefits themselves.

Second--whatever benefits their own party's partisan political agenda (witness the current health-care reform debacle).

Third--whatever benefits their constituents.

Last--whatever benefits the U.S.

But, as you say many pieces of legislation proposed/passed are doomed to certain failure......but that doesn't keep them from trying again, and again, and again, always with the same priority schedule, always the U.S. comes last.

Proud supporter of ANYONE who will put the U.S. first!!!!

Doug

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Politicians do NOT have the best interest of the U.S. first and foremost in their minds. So far as I can see their priorities are:

Second--whatever benefits their own party's partisan political agenda (witness the current health-care reform debacle).

But, as you say many pieces of legislation proposed/passed are doomed to certain failure......but that doesn't keep them from trying again, and again, and again, always with the same priority schedule, always the U.S. comes last.

Doug

AMEN!

Originally Posted by YerDugliness

Doug
X2

The recent weather kind of puts the lie to Global warming
AccuWeather.com - Weather Blogs - Weather News :shocked:

The UK, is in the coldest winter since 1947, have we done too much to stop global warming already?
Funny how there has not been a mention of global warming since the big freeze started from the Politicians.
Global freezing would be far worst, as we grind to a halt under 4" of snow.

In the North east of England 57% work for the Government? how does that work to square the deficit?
We were told that we needed lots of extra workers from the EU to grow our economy yet 54% of muslim men over 24 have no job and are taking benefits?

With the largest deficit since World War 11, you would vote for this Government wouldn't you?

Regards
Chris

Last edited:
These people have no way to calculate how much CO2 that volcanoes put into the atmosphere each day. Being that so much of the ocean floor is not explored they have no idea how many undersea vents there are or how much venting may be happening. They know the climate cycles and that is all they know for sure. Send them all out to study those polar bears with no guns and see how long the last.

Last edited:

Keith

Yes, thank God for our "strange" weather Paulo.

Back to normal then. This is how it always was in the British WINTER and as Chris suggests, maybe we have gone too far in controlling the weather already.

Need to buy another "Dirty Diesel" :laugh:

By the way Al Gore is a total Putz, a Charlatan and an Ignoramus. :thumbsdown:

By the way Al Gore is a total Putz, a Charlatan and an Ignoramus. :thumbsdown:
Keith, dont sugarcoat it tell us how you really feel. :laugh:
Would you folks on the other side of the pond be upset if we in the states banished him to Europe? :idea:

Back