Prototype GT40 at RM auctions

Was watching an RM auction yesterday, (it was probably a rerun) and a GT40 MK I, described as a prototype came across the block, Sold for around $2.3 mil. The car was equipped with what looked like a Ford 4 cam Indy engine. The commentator described it as a "289", but it was a 4 cam, exhaust in the middle of the V and intake trumpets between the cam covers. What's the story on these cars? I always thouoght the GT40 MK I was powered by a push rod type V8. Thanks, John

Keith

It may have been Bill Wonders car #103 which I believe was retro fitted with a 4 cammer and a 'true' bundle of snakes.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Bill Wonders car (P103) has a 4 cam "Indy" engine, 255 CID. BTW, the 4 can engine can have the heads swapped side-to-side so that the exhaust exits below the cams rather than in the valley. This was done on a few sprint cars that ran the 255. The short deck makes this tough to do in a '40. Would have been interesting to see Ford develope the 255 for the Gt as was theintention until Shelby went for the "tried and true" 289 pushrod.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, a re-run from 2005. Great looking car.

Attachments

• DSC_0549.jpg
    DSC_0549.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 423

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I saw this car years ago in PA when Bill still owned it. He put the Indy engine in it, and worked out an EFI system for it as well, with coil pack ignition. Because this was a very early car it started out life with the 255 ci Fairlane V8 engine, which had the same motor mounts as the Indy motor based on the same block, if I'm not mistaken. This car also would have begun with a Colotti transaxle. It got a 289 V8 a bit later on, but it still had the Colotti when it won the Daytona 12hours- first GT40 to finish a race, and it won as well. (Miles and Ruby driving, I think) Bill had a lot of engine spares as well, some of which I should have probably bought and didn't. I think now the car has a 289 engine in it again, but I am not sure. I thought it ended up in the Shelby museum, but I am not certain of that.

When I saw 103, it had the blue-painted chassis that it had had from new, the Fez Red paint bill had had sprayed on the body, and the blue Moto-Lita wheel that it started out with. The ID tag read "Ford Motor Company"- later they were changed to FAV etc etc. The oldest GT40 still kicking, and the one I'd most like to own, other than the one I have.

Back