pssst....wanna buy a plane?

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
I've been meaning to pay these folks a visit; aluminum, rivets, fabric, low-n-slow: Airdrome Aeroplanes ~ Holden, MO ~ Nieuport 28 {Full scale}

N28-flyby.jpg

I think it would be fun to take this kind of vacation.

Granted it does take longer than 2 weeks to FINISH the plane, but to get this much done in 2 weeks. And without having to buy tools that will only be used once.

Glasair Aviation

Ron Earp

Admin
Mike I read that somewhere too. Cool planes.

I wonder if I get a Class III weapons license and then a working Lewis gun if it is illegal to mount on my Nieuport? I don't remember that being specifically addressed in the FAR/AIM but I bet it is in there somewhere.

I really like all the WWI replicas except for one thing - the solo seat. I love biplanes but would need a two place one. I've always liked the lines on these:

Starduster II

R

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Mike, they are the ones. They had a couple of planes at Oshkosh last year. Would be an interesting build.

Ron, my wife says the same thing, a bipe with two seats. I keep telling her that their are all sorts of advantages to having two bipes, each with a single seat. The biggest advantage being we'd both be in the left seat!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Scott,

RAF Sea King Mark 3A helicopter, a derivative of the Sikorski S61.
The panels were quite well laid out but any engine problem would
shake the whole lot into a big blurr. It was contra-rotating as well will seemed to double the noise.
Dave

Rune

Supporter
I have build two of those planes first a Cozy and next a twin engine Defiant. Never start a plane project somone have stopped. You never know what work that have been done. I build mine only from drawings and knew all when sitting there first time to do the test flying. This is important. I know this from 20 years of experimental building/flying. Never trust others fiberglass work.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,
your biggest problem would be finding a gunnery range!

:D

I dunno - here in NC with Cherry Point, Pope, and Fort Bragg there are a few gunnery ranges listed on the sectional. But I imagine trying to use them might be a different issue!!! :)

My local range had a machine gun shoot about 10 years back and I got to shoot a Lewis there - it jammed on me after about 5 rounds and my turn was over :mad:. Cool weapon though, that little magazine didn't hold much but I don't want to digress off the plane thread!

I was in Germany a couple years back and went to local airfield with a friend to check one of these out (not the exact one I'm sure but close). Thought it was a really cool concept as a glider. The rules you guys in Europe have to deal with as a private pilot boggle the mind - landing fees etc. etc.

Powered Glider

R

OK Ron, you got me there!

My family used to camp on Portsmouth Is. and the boys from Cherry Point would give us "unofficial" airshows.

A-4's, A-6's would use our campsite as a mock target and do dive runs. On more than one occasion, A-6's or F-4's would fly over low enough we could see the panel lines and see the fins on the Sidewinders and Sparrows.

My dad always wanted to fly into Portsmouth but the rather rough strip was a little too short for his Bonanza. :eek:

I'm hoping to find time to get my ticket and rack up enough seat time to fly it before he and his partner sells it.

Hi Guys,

Here is the website of the Mandeville airfield in NZ; Welcome to the Old Mandeville Airfield (Gore, New Zealand)
It could do with an update but most of the info is still relevant.
The motor Bill built for the old 'Pither' is a bit of a trick. Leyland P76 ( Big brother to Rover V8- Olds 215 etc ) Original bores cut off crankcase- Cirrus Moth cyls grafted on to plates welded to crankcase- Crank cut out of solid bar etc to build the 90deg V4. Made the guys in the balance shop think a bit

We also have Peter Jackson ( the movie director ) with his collection of WW 1 fighter aircraft based near Blenheim at the top of the South Island

Warbirds over Wanaka is on @ Easter on each even year 2008/10 etc & Jackson has his Airshow on each odd year 2009/11 etc.

Jac Mac

Just to inject a bit of antique aircraft/movie trivia....The "new monoplane" that George Peppard flew and "died flying" in the movie "The Blue Max", was actually a Morane Saulnier (of a much later vintage than WWI). What was so cool about it, was that Peppard actually flew the plane, among others, for the filming of the movie. He liked flying the Morane so much, that when filming was finished, he bought the plane from the owner.

Scott, My buddy a I flew the Stampe into Old Rhinebeck a few years back. Cole rolled out the "red carpet" for us. What a great air show they put on!
Flying home in the rain was not so good! When we landed for fuel, rain would roll down off the top wing and drip right on my face! We couldn't see a thing, but we figured if we kept flying east we would find the ocean. We were heading home to Plymouth, Mass. airport. We lucked out and broke out of the storm east of Hartford, Conn. We cheated death again!

Mike, I make a fiberglass cowling for the guys at our local EAA chapter that they use on a Nieuport. I'm not sure what Graham Lee design or not. They have quite an assembly line set up to build as many as they can. I'm trying to talk them into some carbon cowlings, but like most home builders, they will spend $500.00 and ten years building it themselfes to save $5.00 on a $6.00 part!

FRPGUY, There is an EAA community in Oregon that built 14 of the Nieuports in an assembly line fashion. I got to check in on them. quite the process...it was al about getting the cost down, down, down.

Back