PW Tornado Build pics

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul

I know too well what a character Arthur was, having spent a lot of time over the last 6 months with you during the build up of my car. From being treated as an intruder and watched with suspicion to being a friend who always was good tor a ball to be thrown.

He crtainly kept me entertained for long periods with his antics and finding holes in the car in which to post his toy of the day ready for it to be thrown.

He really was loyal and protected you to the best of his ability and loved wrestling with you when you went to clean up his eyes.

I feel the loss and can only imagine how you feel so as I have said on the phone if there is anything I can do let me know - perhaps just time talking.

My thoughts are with you

Ian

I had this picture sent to me by Desmond Finnan of my car at the Longcross test track - this was for the Tv Show Massive speed, on later in the year I'm told. Here's the pic of Chris Barrie driving it - a bit of a nervous moment for me !

Attachments

• 2006_1028LeMans20060002.JPG
    2006_1028LeMans20060002.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,524
Last edited:
paul she looks stunning its hard to think you got your kit about six months befor mine and finished her already fantastic (it almost makes me ashamed to admit it) well done i hope you have hours of fun with her
chris parker

Been very busy at work the last few months but did get a few bits on the car added or uprated. First was the gearbox oil cooler mounted in a kind of saxophone ! Scoops air up from under the car and forces it through the cooler. I used a diesel fuel filter off the UN1 drain hole and then pump through the cooler back ontop of 5th gear at the rear. The pump is mounted on the round angled chassis tube with some mounts I welded inplace for it. The engine bay is filthy at the moment as I have had overheating problems and the system keeps puking onto the road and spraying everything in sight ! Turned out to be a blown head gasket and also a problem that rerouting my coolant hoses had introduced - all now sorted so I'll clean her up a bit.

Attachments

• DSC00109.jpg
    DSC00109.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • DSC00110.jpg
    DSC00110.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • DSC00112.jpg
    DSC00112.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,150
Fitted an engine oil cooler that just takes off from the oil filter fitting on the engine - requires a shorter oil filter inplace. I got the Think Automotive takeoff unit that has a thermostatic valve in it so lets the engine warm before allowing flow.

Attachments

• DSC00113.jpg
    DSC00113.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,049
The original Granada brakes that I fitted were ok on the road but soon faded on the track so I've replaced them with Hi-Spec Monster 4 pots on the front with 335mm drilled discs mounted on Alluminium bells. The Billet 4 handbrake rears are ordered but have yet to arrive. They have allowed me to remove the brake servos as having much bigger pad area and lots more leverage on the discs. I've not been on the track with them yet but just on the road they are a huge improvement.

Attachments

• DSC00114.jpg
    DSC00114.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 895
Having lost the servos off the front bulkhead I'm debating making it a more permanent storage area for long trips. Temporarily I have mounted a toolbox that i got in Homebase - holds enough tools but still no lugage. I'm tempted to remount the pedals on the floor inside the car which would then give way to panelling this area in properly from the radiator back. The electrics loom is now in a bit of an odd place coming out the upper bulkhead were the servos originally were so I may reroute this lower down.

Attachments

• DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,193
Weatherproofing is not ideal on the 40 especially where the front tyres spray water off the road into the door hinge area. I have just started modifying the front clip to try and stop so much water getting onto the hinges. I will try and get a rubber extrusion to seal the edge of this new piece I've glassed in against the sides of the ally bulkhead.

Attachments

• DSC00116.jpg
    DSC00116.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,147
Last edited:
New Hi-Spec rear brakes with the built in handbrake mechanism. The car stops really well now but it did take a long time for Hi-Spec to make these !

Attachments

• DSC00133.jpg
    DSC00133.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 945
  • DSC00134.jpg
    DSC00134.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
Looks great Paul. Just a question - do these brakes mean you have to run 17's or is it the (lack of) tyre situation, or just personal preference?

Cheers

Joe

On the rears I think you would get away with 15" rims - I haven't measured but know people with the 300mm + Billet 4's on the fronts (Same as these rears) I went for 17" rims on purpose as I wanted to fit the biggest brakes I could get - current fronts are 335 discs with monster calipers. I prefer the look of the 16" rims but tyre choice for these is/was no better than 15" at the time when I bought them.

Finally got verything together this week and started to remake the rear end a bit more like the original chassis are. First pic chopping off the rear end.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 534
I had two brackets welded to the sides of the bellhousing so it now sits on rubber bushes and also had some welded to the top to steady the engine and gearbox through the removable top brace. Lower down is a plate welded across the open ends of the chassis - the rear cradle will fit up flush against this using the lower wishbone bolts to locate on.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 661
Paul,

I have only now come across your build log.

It is apparent that the Tornado is very similar to my (chassis supplied) scratchbuild, and on paging through your log, a number of questions have been answered.

The finished car is stunning, a real credit to you.:thumbsup:

But may I thank you for the effort you have put into the build log. An incredible help to mugs like me.:happy:

Thanks Clive, when I built my car there wasn't any other Tornado build threads, fortunately I live closeby to a few owners who let me take pics and measurements off their cars which helped a heap.
Here's todays progress on the new rear end.....

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 624
Finally finished off the rear frame and mounted the coolers.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 564
The new rear end !

Attachments