Quaife ZFQ and RBT

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
..... The case is 2.5 inches longer than the zf. The mark 4 would accommodate the box without the need of modifications however the mark 2 would need the rear bar modified to fit the box. I will succeed in building this ERA gt 40 replica and it will encompass the FE big block. It is already happening. I will keep you posted on the progress till the final shake down of the completed car. Should be a nice ride.

First, thanks much for the thorough report. Any sense of price, how many are out there, delivery time?

Wonderful to have another FE in the works. Mine's mild (on purpose). 490 hp with a torque curve like Kansas.

Re the length I had to hack up my SPF rear subframe a little to fit the ZFQ anyway, (hence my original caution about the Q's not being an exact replacement for a ZF.) and it's no big deal; just 1" or 3/4" square mild steel tube cutting & welding. But I don't know what an ERA looks like back there; is it like an SPF I.e. Like a Mk I GT40?

Given that, I think you should check out the Mendeola as well just to cover all the bases. it sticks out the back of an SPF just a little (inch or two). One thing is that it's cheap (relatively speaking) like 10k not 13k, if that matters. Not sure about the torque handling though. I doubt it's rated beyond 600 or so. Rumor is turnaround time is 6 mos but that could be old info. Also I don't think there's an FE bell housing for it; it's meant to hitch to an LS motor I believe but when I was looking someone else made an adaptor or something... Memory's faded on that but I might have notes if you're interested.

Do you by any chance have any interest in a T44? I ask because it would not take many purchasers to make something interesting happen there, I think. But it's a "pure replica" play (which is my game) so it's hard to find people with much interested in "only" 4 forward gears.

BTW what's your half shaft plan? A stock SPF's VW cv joints would protect your tires from wear....:laugh: Upgrade to 930 CVs is doable (keeping the center piece) but I don't know about 700 ft-lb.....

Last edited:
Alan..the 950ss can be had now. 9800 on the price. Reasonable. I spoke with Ted at era and the bar in this case possibly can be removed altogether. Ted is the main man with any and all to do with the gt 40 modifications. Yes on the question of the mark 1 and twos tub. They are virtually the same. Just need to send an email to griffin to get the ball rolling. As far as the tyranny sticking out .. Ted said it is very possible the case could fall in between the two screens in the rear and if that was the case we can modify to cover the case with creative fabrication. Either way measurements need to be made from center of axle box and end of tail section along with same to forward,of shaft to make sure dimensions are going to co incide for proper fit. According to my first discussion with griffin there was no dimension difference other than the overall length. Ted will be in touch with griffin to get the definitive precise dimensions so as to move forward with some level of intelligence. As far as the axles are concerned . I will be doing some calculations. Need to satisfy the basics on the case dimensions before I take out the Ticonderoga number 2 lead pencil and let the pain begin.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
T44s are available. There was a batch done for the new build J MK IVs as well as others that have been floating around.

You can buy three plus ZFs for the cost of a T44................

Back