Race Trailer Question

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
weigh the trailer loaded, wheel mass and tongue mass, measure distance from ball to centre of axles , then it is simple to work out how far you need to move axles forward to give desired tongue mass.

If I were in this situation ( middle of race season , post # 33 ) I will keep the trailer as it is until there is time to do a proper job .

If you want to , you can then modify the axle mounts to get the axles to be true 50 / 50 load sharing at all times . The way to do it is by having only one single central pivot ( on each side left and right ) between main trailer and axle sub-frame ( bogey).

The existing method of axle attachment ( post # 38 ) is a hybrid between method # 1 and # 2 ( post # 31) . Reason being the axles' mounts are directly fixed to the trailer at front and rear .

Z.C.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The existing system IS true 50/50. No need for the complication and additional weight/height of an extra subframe.

Johans suggestion has merit for the short term at least, although I suspect the car would have to go quite a long way back to achieve the desired balance. A good and easy immediate improvement, and later on it could be possibly easier than any other option to extend the trailer deck further rearwards.

Ron Earp

Admin
The existing system IS true 50/50. No need for the complication and additional weight/height of an extra subframe.

Johans suggestion has merit for the short term at least, although I suspect the car would have to go quite a long way back to achieve the desired balance. A good and easy immediate improvement, and later on it could be possibly easier than any other option to extend the trailer deck further rearwards.

Car can't go back any much further, about 4" and it isn't enough. We measured that effect and it helps, but only 40-50 lbs worth of help. We could tilt the ramps back and move it back further, but even a foot isn't a lot of help as the car is 50/50 F/R.

Can't lengthen that deck either or it won't fit in the existing parking space.

Tongue weight is not the only evil issue lurking out there. Total Trailer loaded weight VS tow vehicle weight should also be looked at. I found out the hard way towing with a short wheel base Blazer. Consider going to a crew cab doolie, 1/2 ton tow vehicles are bad medicine even with an equalizer system.

Back