Racing Brakes

Can competition brakes like those from AP or Alcon be used on the street even though they don't have dust seals? How often would they have to be rebuilt?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Mike - I don't think you will get a clear answer to this question as many vaiables will make it almost impossible to answer.For example - Will you be driving on dirt roads or only bitumen.Now obviously calipers without seals are going to need rebuilding at short intervals if you intend driving on dirt roads. My situation is the other way round, I have AP calipers with dust seals and I race the car on sealed tracks only.Mind you there is a bit of dust around when I have an off. Hope this helps
Ross

Most Road car calipers have an exposed bellows type dust seal on each piston as well as the o-ring fluid seal in the body of the caliper. Many race type calipers omit the dust seal for various reasons ( one being that they recommend that you replace the fluid o-ring at regular intervals along with the fluid for heat related damage reason's which would probably also damage the dust seal as it is closer to the pad ).

Jac Mac

Mike, we have used AP CP5000 series calipers on road/track cars for over ten years now, very rarely ever need servicing. Frank

Hi,

I too can confirm that running racing brakes on a street-driven car works fine. No single problem with my Brembo set-up.

BR
Lars

Ron Earp

Admin
The only concern I would have is based on your pad choice, not caliper choice (as some others have said, I agree and I think your seals will be fine). If you fit racing pads on your calipers, for street use, there might be some issues.

I run some extremely agressive Carbotech pads on my Z race car. On my out laps before race start I concentrate on getting the pads hot because they stop VERY poorly when the pad is cold. So poorly that if they were used in street driving you would definitely need to adjust your braking to not hit things, as I've learned the hard way with those pads. If you used a pad like that you'd never get them up to temperature in normal street driving, unless your normal street driving involves repeated stops from 100 mph in rapid succession.

So, I'd think you wouldn't have any problems with the "competition" brakes, or any brakes for that matter, as long as you use some discretion in pad choice and are honest on intended use.

Ron

Back