Rcr 40-31

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Re: Rcr40-31

Yup, still working on it. I know it's been a while since I've posted pics though. Not much "visible" progress. Front clip wired, dash half-wired, doors to their "final" final position, and now just began a bit of a disassembly project... More to come.

I'll be getting into the cage build in the next couple weeks but need a few parts from Fran first (I just ordered them this week). Once they're together, I'll be going back at it full speed ahead. I think I have a good plan for the cage and the chassis looks like it can carry it where I want it.

As much as I am enjoying the build, I can't wait to get it driving. And Bill D, I took a stab at some ductwork for ventilation. It's still in-progress but I will be getting some pics to the net some time this week. I have a GREAT idea and I hope it'll turn out the way I'm thinking. Time will tell but at this point I'm no longer scared of working with fiberglass...

One general question, who makes a good set of switches? I'm not hung up on originality but I also don't want the cheap plastic variety you find at Autozone. I also don't want to spend mucho $'s on stuff that feels just as cheap. I want something with a nice feel and appropriate (again, doesn't need to be original) looks. Any suggestions?

Best to all,

Chris
I went with some very good heavy duty toggle switches from Allied Electroincs. They're rated at 25amps.

Here are a couple of pics...
switch_panel%20009.jpg

dash%20014.jpg

I also had a company called Aircraft Engravers make me some professional looking panels to identify the console switches. PM me if you're interested and I can give you a lot more info.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter

Big-Foot - Ditto on Waytek

Waytek is an excellent source for most all wiring 'stuffs'. They don't have some of the hard core Eaton Mil-spec switches and a few other things, but have most all the tools and other stuff. Some neat things. About the only down side is some items require a minimum order. Very happy with them, customer for years.

Sandy

I've ordered from both Waytek and Delcity. Delcity has prices about the same as Waytek and lower or no minimum orders. They also seem to have a bigger variety of parts.

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Guess what I got? Looks good, eh?

Cltuch disc, press plate and alu flywheel and bellhouse on the way from Dennis at Pantera Performance (303 660 9897). Should arrive this weekend. I could theoretically have the drivetrain mounted (but not permanently installed) this weekend!

The special shiny bits came with the deluxe kit and I must say they look fantastic on the motor!

Attachments

• 1P1010128.JPG
    1P1010128.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 1P1010130.JPG
    1P1010130.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 1P1010132.JPG
    1P1010132.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,159
  • 1P1010131.JPG
    1P1010131.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,984

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Bellhouse arrived today, I have the drivetrain bolted together (no clutch in the house though) and will be putting it into the chassis tonight! Unfortnately I can't upload a pic here but will when I have the chance. It looks great all together.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Chris - Great progress!!

Don't forget to use the pressure plate alignment dowels. They come with the Pressure plate bolt kit from Ford.

Also - Don't forget to use a sealant on the flywheel bolts. I use liquid teflon thread sealant myself.

I see you have the Ford Explorer front timing cover, harmonic balancer and water pump. I was thinking of using this configuration as well to minimize the size of the bump needed in the firewall.

Are those RCR Headers? Could you get a closeup of the collectors?

I think I've already bugged Fran about this but forgot the answer - I'm wondering if the same headers for the ZF will work with the G50?

Thanks! Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming! :)

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Randy-

Pics to follow in the next couple days but the motor and trans are IN! Things went very smoothly with one exception: in cutting the clearance for the starter I cut right through the hard brake line on the opposite side of the chassis wall. Other than that, things went really smoothly. Started about 11 and finished around 430 (solo). Lots of setting it in, marking the wall, trimming the chassis, and repeating but I think it's good.

The headers are the RCR ones. I don't know if my set will clear the G50 but I am quite certain that Fran has them available. Best to chat with him directly.

I have the 6007-XB3 long block from FMS. I didn't know for certain it'd be short enough on the front but it looks like it'll fit pretty well actually. I don't yet have the pulley set figured out so I'll reserve my opinion for later but so far so good on the clearance front. Looks like it'll need a very small blister if at all (but like I said, wait til I am through with the pulleys).

Bolting things together was extremely easy though. I don't have a clutch in there yet. I needed all the pieces together to get through the cage build. Motor's in, headers are on, it's time to put it all back together and start bending tubes. Stay tuned for more pics.

Should be back on its feet by next week and will start looking really good soon.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Right Fran..

Sorry about that but unless I missed it elsewhere in the thread, I didn't know that these were RCR headers/exhaust hence my questions.

Nice work!

Chris Kouba

Supporter

The pics...

Attachments

• aP1010134.jpg
    aP1010134.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,838
  • aP1010136.jpg
    aP1010136.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,904
  • aP1010143.jpg
    aP1010143.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,823
  • aP1010146.jpg
    aP1010146.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,840
  • aP1010148.JPG
    aP1010148.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 2,823
  • aP1010149.JPG
    aP1010149.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,826
  • aP1010150.jpg
    aP1010150.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,919
  • aP1010154.jpg
    aP1010154.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,864

Chris Kouba

Supporter

With the motor and trans connected and hanging there on the hoist, I had a flashback to the gazillion models I had built as a kid (and no-so-kid) with a drivetrain ready for install. This "kit" has the benefit of being much cooler and totally practical for later "display" as well.

It was a great feeling after the many trial fits and re-fits. I didn't want to cut too much from the chassis to make it fit and have a huge hole. I now need a starter to ensure it's all good.

Regardless, it looks great and once I get the suspension re-hung it'll be off to get a cage built.

Ah, progress!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Chris - fantastic progress!!

It looks like you may not need a firewall bump at all with the short Explorer Water pump and front cover!!

Please let us know if that is or is not the case!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

BTW - Be ***very*** careful of the Jack-Stands on the Wheel-Skates thing.. I had a Cobra fall using the very same trick. Un-even spot in the floor and one of the stands came out from under the car, when the car stopped rolling - it tipped and literally SPIT the two balance point jack-stands out from under the car as it came crashing down...
I was rolling it very slowly as well so I was being careful when it happened. The jackstand that came loose was still under the car just not under the frame so I did not see it out of position..

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Yeah Randy, I did it (carefully) to get the car in position and if you look closely at the other pics (taken later in the evening) you'll see I pulled them out.

Thanks for the note.

I'll keep you posted on the firewall cover.

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Been a while with the updates...

I too went with the +2"/side rear flares. I was chatting with Fran about how I was bummed that I didn't flare the car now that I am going to be painting it (instead of gelcoat for a while). Unfortunately the lack of road rubber was also still holding me back as well. He launched off into a conversation of how he just finished developing a wider rear suspension package... 295 sized rears, 2"/side flares, all the curvy bits without the hassle? Done. He told me to send him some bits and a check. 4 hours later, everything was in the mail.

I got the bits from Fran got them mounted up over the last few days. I've actually been out of town for ~2 wks, had family in town another week and am finally getting back in the groove of it. I worked through RCR business hours and had a question or two and was able to work it out with Fran the next morning. Install was fairly straightfoward and simple.

The pics don't show much as the angle isn't right to highlight it. I have subsequently reinstalled the rear clip and it's going to look fantastic. Flares are still a few weeks out for me but I have the car ready for cagework at this point. Now waiting on the cage builder...

Attachments

• P1010166.jpg
    P1010166.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,818
  • P1010168.jpg
    P1010168.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,595
Back