RCR Visit, December 2009

Chuck

Supporter
Business took me to Chicago just after Christmas, so Ryan and I took advantage of the opportunity to take a little five hour detour to Detroit to see what was new at RCR. Our second trip in as many months. Spent several hours visiting. There was a lot of activity despite the holiday season.

Allen English's GT 40 is coming along nicely. A couple of guys were working on it while we were there, fitting the rear sway bar and working on the coolant system.

A Mark IV was nearing completion. Bright red, it is a real attention grabber. The interior details are strikingly similar to the originals we saw at Road America in July. With a chassis powder coated gray to resemble natural aluminum, crinkle finish dash, appropriate air ducts, etc. it was a very impressive piece of work. Sure would like to drop a 427 SO into a Mark IV. Eglitom (Tom) just posted some excellent pictures. One can see the progress that has been made in the interim.

Then Fran took us for a visit to another shop where we saw the original GT 90. That was unbelieveable. Just happened to be an original Shelby 289 slab sided Cobra, sitting near by.

In Fran’s shop was sitting a Saleen ‘super car.’ Took it for a test sit. I will take the SLC, thank you.

Speaking of which, there were several SLC’s under construction in various states of completion. We saw the custom interior pieces: leather and alcantara (suede) material. Absolutely top notch. With a bit of car and attention to detail, there is no doubt in my mind that an SLC could be built to super car standards. Fran showed us some draft renderings of an upcoming topless version and a version with a revamped tail sans spoiler for more street than track use. This is way behond a “kit” car. Wish I had taken more pictures.

We are going to put the Shelby Cobra up for sale. Once its stall is open a new project will be in order. Maybe an SLC??

Attachments

• MarkIVC.JPG
    MarkIVC.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 2,782
  • MarkIVF.JPG
    MarkIVF.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 2,776
  • SLC1.JPG
    SLC1.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 412
  • GT90.JPG
    GT90.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 441
Hello Chuck,

I spoke to Fran a couple weeks ago and he was telling me that the Saleen was getting a power upgrade. We had a customer with one of these cars send it back to Saleen for a 1000HP transplant. Pretty darned cool...

Fran showed us some draft renderings of an upcoming topless version and a version with a revamped tail sans spoiler for more street than track use.

SLC-roadster ....... but I havn't even finished building the coupe version, ahhhh, must resist purchasing another one..........atleast for a short while until this one is finished ..... roofless is goooooood :laugh:

I think the spoiler suits a street car quite well - nothing says 'LOOK AT ME' at the traffic light like a ridiculously wide spoiler that helps to make the look of the car :thumbsup:

Back