Real GT40s End Where?

Ron Earp

Admin
I think we know what the original cars are - Don, Johan, Malcolm, and Pete pretty much covered it. There is a place on the forum to discuss Superformance replicas, as well as CAVs, RFs and so on. Those are not included here. Safir cars, what few there are, are also not part of this discussion in this forum area.

The subforum is for original cars and I think that is fairly clearly decided to be original cars produced during the proper time frame, i.e, in the 1960s.

Gosh, these things can get out of hand.

Ron Earp

Admin
We are extremely fortunate that with GT40s we don't have all of these issues with real versus replica versus fake and so on like happens with Cobras. There isn't a Shelby out making numbered examples and all that jazz so we don't have those arguments about all of that. Anyone familiar with the Cobra discussions knows what I'm talking about - Evan from CC and similar discussions. Sometimes entertaining, sometimes tiresome.

GT40s are relatively simple. There are original cars built in the 60s and there are replicas. There are a few gray areas (correct me if I'm wrong which I frequently am on "original" stuff) like the later P chassis, 1085, 1086 and so on. Depending on whom you ask those are original or not, but by and large the distinction is fairly easy. Good thing is, they are all cool, original and replica alike.

As far as worth the cars with race history are well known and valued accordingly. Cars without a race history are worth less to some collectors, however, maybe even that is somewhat challenged as I heard about GT40 P1086 going up for sale over the million USD mark. With replicas trading hands in the US in the range of $50,000 to $150,000, and in the UK at nearly twice that figure, one could see how even the gray cars or the non-race history cars could be valued at a high level. And the race history cars, wow, I can't imagine.

What have some notable examples of "real" GT40s traded hands at? Just curious.

Ron

I don't know, but I enjoyed John Allen's post a lot. Iagree with what he said. Can we call this the John Allen area and ask him to tell us some of the stories he hears on his trips through the paddock ?
That would be great !

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The subforum is for original cars and I think that is fairly clearly decided to be original cars produced during the proper time frame, i.e, in the 1960s.

Gosh, these things can get out of hand.

That was my understanding of the purpose of the subforum.

Not wishing to contribute to things getting out of hand but what about opening it up to include original personal as well. People involved in the design, construction and driving of the original cars. Their later career paths, what they are doing now, etc. No doubt all will be an advanced age now and some are dead. But John mentioned Alan Mann......I'm sure many of us would be interested in anecdotes and updates on some of these amazing people. Or maybe not.......

Just a thought.

John,

The context of this thread though is to determine which cars are eligible for this "Original GT40s" Sub Forum.

I do not think this Sub Forum should be cluttered up with continuation cars. The only point is, where is the cutoff between original and continuation? Clearly, personally, I feel 21st century built cars don't belong in this section. Earlier ones built in the 70's? Maybe they could be eligible.

Not trying to be exclusive here, just harking back to what I thought was the intention of the Sub Forum. Others may disagree.

Yes, I certainly go along with that, Russ. My references to Continuation cars are there because not only was the subject already raised, but, in deciding just what is "original", we have to discuss continuations, Mark Vs, left-over tubs, tubs built up from spare panels, "re-tubbed originals" (ouch, I hate those), and anything else which in any way lays claim to being an "original", however spurious and laughable that claim might be.

My own opinion (and that's all it can be, my opinion) is that if a car were completed by, or the tub and parts sold by, Ford, Kar Kraft or JWAE, in the period up to the end of 1970, then the car is clearly "original", regardless of where and when final assembly took place. For me too, cars assembled subsequently from leftover chassis not sold direct by one of those companies fall into a grey area, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My own view is that anything else doesn't qualify as "original", and Mark Vs are exactly what they say they are - Mark Vs; lovely cars, built with the authority of JWAE, and (opinion again) very respectable (I wish I had one). Peter Thorp did, I believe, play a master stroke when he decided on the Mark V tag; anybody owning one could say, perfectly truthfully, that he owned an original GT40 Mark V. I could say much the same for the Superformance cars, but I do wish they'd been called Mark VI... However, I think that whoever coined the name "continuation" got it pretty well right.

My vote for what constitutes "original" would go towards including all the numbered cars up to 1085, 1101-1107, the XGT, J and M/1s, plus the handful of pukka Abbey Panels-equipped subsequent-build cars. Anything built on one of those superb Tennant Panels tubs, no matter how wonderful the car might be, would have to go into, at best, the continuation category.

Incidentally, in a forum dedicated to "original" cars, the cars with leftover tubs probably won't feature very much anyway, since they haven't really got much of a history behind them, and, since none of them took part in the epic days of the 1960s, perhaps they won't provide much to talk about?

I like this thread; it's good that GT40 enthusiasts should get together to try to reach concensus of just what constitutes an original GT40 - all opinions welcome!

J BTW said:
'J What' I am not Anti MKIV it may use the same engine, suspension, drive line. But its not a GT40!!!! Its a different car (J car) with a honeycombe chassis. Its the same as comparing a Ford GT MKII to a Ford Gallaxie this had the NASCAR engine that was the basis of all the big block Ford GT!!! It not even 40 inches in height (its) 38.5 inches and its body panels are not interchangeable with a GT40! Its a completely different car. It was a the modified J car to replace the MKIIA (which was becoming uncompeditive) if it was a directed modification of the GT40 why did they bother with the 1967 Ford MKIIB? I am not saying it should be excluded from a the Ford GT historic racing program forum. But if the subject was 1960 original Ford GT40's then it could be included only as as additions with Alan Mann lightweights, MKIII, Mirage M1.
And nice to here from you John but I am not snobbish but a load of famous people have endorsed conituation models, or Replicas i.e. Carrol Shelby.
Regards Allan

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I'm not sure why we're arguing whether a Mk4 or a Mirage or an Allan Mann lightweight is a GT40. They are all from the same era and all had origins in Fords racing programme and all had essentially Mk1 or Mk2 mechanicals. The aluminium honeycomb was an attempt to save weight. Natural evolution in a race car! The reshaped bodywork of the Mirages and the Mk4's was to take advantage of regulations allowing smaller cockpit sizes etc. If this had not happened the Mk4s may have retained the Mk2 shape? What then?

Who cares, let's just enjoy the cars.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I would tend to suspect that one's view of a gfiven cars being "original" would probably depend on if you are buying or selling! They are all original if selling!

I hope I am not confusing you Russ. But you are missing the point I am not trying to exclude the MKIV from this section but its not and never will be a GT40 because it was designed from scratch to the J regulations that you mention. And evolved from the J car to the MKIV shape after serious modification of the body. And parrallel in evolution and not from the MKII! The MKIV was not evolved from the MKII! Otherwise there would have been no need for the MKIIB with the same engine and geartrain as the MKIV! Just because its called MKIV its not an improved version of the MKI, MKII. In the same way the MKIII is not the third improved version of the road GT40! The MKIV is a completely seperate racecar to the GT40 but related in the Ford racing program of the time! Henry Ford II wanted an all American car and drivers to win at Le Mans at all costs. This was only partically acheived with the 1966 Le Mans winner the Ford GT MKIIA an Anglo American car driven by an all New Zealand crew Mclaren and Hulme. He got this with the MKIV of Gurney Foyt built and developed and driven by an all American team. The Mirage M1 was also made to the J regulations but in the case of P1074 was rebuilt as a GT40. And the Allan Mann lightweights were modified GT40's in all but name. This thread read 'Real GT40's' I read that as the original 12 GT chassised cars and the 84 possible 85 GT40 Production cars. Tubs and spare parts assembled after this are not to my mine original or real! Family members might be Mirage M1, J cars (MKIV), G7A. but you could also included the Lola MKVI that was used as the engine and suspension buck for the original Ford GT. But this is not a GT40! And being pedantic the first 12 chassised cars were Ford GT's. Ford GT40's came about with the start of the production line GT40P and the definative nose shape on P1006 at Le Mans. This was around May 1965 that this car first showed up. If you want to call the thread and include all the family call the thread Cars of the Ford GT racing program 1963 -1969 (you could extend to 1970, but Ford themselves pulled out in 1967). If you call the thread 'real GT40's' then you are limiting it!
However, this is my opinion for what its worth and I genuinely hope this clarifies my viewpoint. I once again I must make it crystal clear that I am not against the MkIV or any of the 'Ford GT family' being mentioned on this forum under the appropriate heading. And must urge you to see this view from a new members viewpoint how might not be as informed as all of us are. And I know this is not a life threatening viewpoint in the great scheme of things . But I would like the newcomers to this forum not to be misinformed in the first place.
Regards Allan

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the clarification Allan. I guess you could class me as a newcomer. Before I started building my lookalike 40 I had very little knowledge of GT40 history and certainly haven't had the chance to do a lot of reading since.

Most of what I have gleaned has been picked up in the course of searching this site for information pertaining to my build. So there are still lots of gaps in my knowledge. I was unaware the MKIV was built alongside and contemporaneously with the MKII.

There are threads on here that ask about the differences between the MkII and the MkIIb but they seem to list mainly bodywork differences. What are the differences that you allude to in the engine and geartrain from the MkII compared to the MkIIb and MkIV?

call the thread Cars of the Ford GT racing program 1963 -1969 (you could extend to 1970, but Ford themselves pulled out in 1967). If you call the thread 'real GT40's' then you are limiting it!
Regards Allan

That sounds reasonable and I think that is the intention of the thread to provide information about the cars in that racing program.

Cheers,

There are threads on here that ask about the differences between the MkII and the MkIIb but they seem to list mainly bodywork differences. What are the differences that you allude to in the engine and geartrain from the MkII compared to the MkIIb and MkIV?
Cheers,

Like you Russ I gleaned my information from the books. (These are summaries from Ronnie Spains GT40 and my thoughts in my words)
The first big block Ford GT 427 were built on chassis GT106 and GT107 for the 1965 Le Mans the enginge they used was basically detuned NASCAR engine from the Ford Galaxie. I do not think that this Big block Ford was known as a MKII but they were the prototypes.
By the 1966 Le Mans the ducting of air to the fuel pumps were relocated to a recess in the two bulkheads between the cockpit and engine compartment. It was felt that if air was ducted into them via a slot cut in the adjacent outer body this would cool them and eklimniate vapour locking this ducting was fitted to all MKII. Kelsey Hayes di pac and berylilium cooper disc brakes were tested and fitted. This resulted in a quick change unit to solve the problem of brake unit cracking from heating when slowing down from 210 mph to 35mph at the end of the Mulsanne straight. The engine for the 1966 MKIIA was the 427 with one 4-V Holley fitted driving through a Kar Kraft T44 4 speed transaxle developed by Kar Kraft. Le Mans cars had two rear snorkels fitted and a central air scoop on the rear deck. A completely revised bodywork from the 1965 big blocks. Hinged front panel spare wheel carried there. Humps over the front wheels arches (Daytona 1966 bottoming). Jacking system was fitted. It had two dummy? luggage boxes fitted up right in the tail either side of the gearbox as part of the J regulations These are the basics. The engine of the 1966 winner produced about 465bhp (the max possible was 485bhp).
The MKIV and MKIIB had the simlar engine drivetrain for 1967 an extra 4-V Holley was fitted on this 427 raising the bhp to over 500 (some quote 530bhp). Both cars using the Kar Kraft 4 speed developed T44 transaxle.
The MKIIB was modified in the bodywork department the rear spare wheel was mount on a carrier one side of the gearbox and the luggage box for the J rules was mounted the other. This resulted in the tail section being butchered to accomodate this upright spare wheel. also the carburettors are boxed in and the passenger door sawn off (the roof section seperate and being fixed to the roof structure). Without looking throughly the larger rear wheels were used on the MKIIB going from the 9.5 x 15 on the MKIIA up to 12 x 15. This resulted in the rear bodywork to be widened to accomodate them. The MKIIB and the MKIV had similar dashboard layouts.
I hope I have not missed anything out. I hope this helps you Russ I suggest you read Ronnies book for greater detail.
Regards Allan

I think John Allen has a very good point. There probably won't be much conversation or interest about cars without history just because there isn't anything to talk. Unless a change of ownership is of interest to you. The fact is these cars and their history are well documented and pretty much over. A few are currently raced and other than that I'm not sure what else can be said. So, what exactly is the purpose of this thread?

I would say that when an original comes out of hiding, and someone from this forum has an opportunity to take a few photographs and post them for other forum members.....those members that would like to detail their replica GT40 would probably be appreciative for the photos to be used as a point of reference.

I know that Tom Armstrong in Washington State has a VERY PRETTY MkI (Red), and he sometimes takes it out to the Portland Historics. I can say it is a treat to see that car in person. I know Lynn Miner posted some pictures of Jim Clicks P1061 on the Superformance area.......and for a similar event, those pictures could have been placed here. As in current pictures, not those taken by Spain years ago.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well Allan, nothing you have said here convinces me that the MkIV was designed from scratch. When, as you state, it had the same suspension (particularly the suspension), engine and driveline. What else is there? The chassis has been redesigned to take advantage of newer technology, and what that does is connect up the existing (essentially MkII) mechanical package to suit and mount the new body. And the body/cockpit has been made to take best advantage of the latest regs and advances in aerodynamic knowledge.

The fact that it was developed alongside the MkII is hardly unusual as this often happens with updates. Possibly too, 'hedging ones bets' in the racing world.

However, maybe we just look differently on the same facts! Thanks for the crash course on MkII, MkIIb and MkIV origins.

All the best,

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
In this subforum MKIVs are welcome. Sure, I wouldn't call it a "GT40", but it is a Ford powered race car from that era and welcome.

If you look at the very tippy top of the forum logo you'll pretty much see the cars that are welcome under the original definitions. Lola is a bit of a stretch, but if someone wanted to discuss the early Lola origins and test mules that'd be perfect.

I remember when the forum logo was first up I got a few questions about the MKIVs and MKIIIs being listed. I also got some questions about "where is the MKV" (from one owner). Naturally, it is subjective but I think we've got it covered.

Now, those folks that were appointed to move threads and get the subforum populated, if we could focus on that instead it'd be a better way to spend time.

R

Well Russ maybe this will convince you that the J car (MKIV) was a totally new car and not a development of the forty.
I will quote from Ronnies book GT40 Page 57
Le Mans Trails 1966
"As at the previous year's Le Mans trials Ford were also launching their latest model, for this was the first public appearance of Ford's new breed of racer, the 'J' car - a car of radically different design and construction. The 'J' car story begun back on 25th June the previous year - only five days after the 1965 Le Mans race -when Roy Lunn put forward his proposal to built a totally new car which would closely conform to the rules of Appendix 'J' of the racing car construction regulations (hence the eventual 'J' designation). It would have major advantages over the Mark II as it would have a much narrower roofline hereby reducing the frontal area, and could have a frame incorporating honeycomb sandwich thin sheet metal which would provide a substantial weight reduction. The projected cost for the initial team of three cars was $300,00 - $400,000."
Just because a race car share components it does not make it a modification of one other. For instance the Cobra, Cobra Daytona coupe, TVR Griffith and Sunbeam Tiger all had small block 289 4.7litre engines it did not remotely connect them to the forty!!!?
I again emphasise the words "totally new car".
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Back