Regs for Longleat - are they out yet?

If you are talking about Sep 23/24 then I have not had mine for the Ferrari class yet - isn't it always very last minute ?

Anticipated entries that I am aware of are:

Paul Thompson - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Roy Smart - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Bjorn Arnils - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Rodger Burston - GTD40 Mk1 6800cc
Martin Hacon - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Maureen McNicoll - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Ray Christopher - GTD40 Mk1 Spyder 5700cc
Roy Wing - GTD40 Mk1 Spyder 5700cc
Dave Parker - GTD R42 6300cc
Nadine Geary - Cobra Daytona Coupe 7000cc
Andrew Fordyce - E-Type Jaguar 3800cc
+ possibly
Julian Kingston Smith - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Martin Weigold - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc

So if we all get entries and still have working cars after Brighton (Dave+Nos?:D ), quite a few!

Longleat Hill Climb

Well - weekend over and what a great time we had.

The weather looked ominous as it hammered down with rain on the Friday when we travelled down to Longleat Forest Center Parc, but Saturday arrived with no rain, just a very slippery track...! - :eek:

The numbers were a little lower than hoped as the event (as usual) was massively over-subscribed, with only the following club members getting entry.

Paul Thompson - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Roy Smart - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Bjorn Arnils - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Rodger Burston - GTD40 Mk1 6800cc
Martin Hacon - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Maureen McNicoll - GTD40 Mk1 5000cc
Dave Parker - GTD R42 6300cc
Nadine Geary - Cobra Daytona Coupe 7000cc
Andrew Fordyce - E-Type Jaguar 3800cc

Still, we nearly did'nt have Dave either, as his car was not running correctly after Brighton, where it threw it's alternator belt, clouting the crank (ref) sensor in the process. This was a new replacement hall effect item but still the engine would not run, and popped and banged like mad at anything above tickover. First practice came and went and Dave was given a cut-off time as the first run after lunch to have the car running. I 'scoped' both crank and ref signals, which looked fine in shape, but a bit intermittant for some reason. A quick ECU swap from Roys GTD with suitable reprogram proved it wasnt the ECU, nor the Ignition Expander (not that I thought it was).

A number of other competitors came over to offer assistance but there was little they could do in reality... However, we had a good think about the events leading up to the problem (i.e. Brighton) and came to the conclusion that the front ref trigger must be at fault. The Laptop monitoring was indicating 'Sync Error', but this can be caused by getting spurious pulses (or lack of) from the reference sensor. So, the car was rolled half off the trailer (had not even been unloaded at this point) and Dave crawled underneath to inspect the front sensor that had been precisely set a couple of nights ago.

The question from Dave, "is a quarter inch gap ok?",

I answered with a "no it flippin isn't, drop it to about 80 thou"

and with that, Vrooom Vroooom all was restored.....:)

So Dave only got one practice and two timed runs, but hey, he still beat the rest of us!! (cheers mate!)

Actually, It's fine by me he won, he didn't quite get the 40.07s I set a few years ago, but given a drier day, I'm positive he'd be in the 39s.... and hell, I came second, beating Nadine in her monster 427 Cobra Coupe into 3rd and Rodger in his mighty 408ci 40 into 4th...

So, Smart Tech tuned cars come 1st and 2nd. (yep - I'm blowing my own trumpet!)

A great weekend of Fun Fun Fun, we all had a great time.

+

Finally, club members Bjorn and Nadine competed on the Sunday event too, this time in their Viper's, and both set scorching times + wowed the crowds with their Smokey Tyre warming antics.. more Fun Fun Fun...:D

Back