Rennlist: Guards TDB for G50 family

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Asking price is $900. Located in Texas. Sellar says he had to replace this torque biasing diff with the LSD as per factory for his PCA class.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
It is a good diff for someone, will not fit in a 930/915 style box FYI gave a call to Gaurds and chatted, ended up they made the gear set for my 930 boxes. Looks like a nice part for someone. I think his quote for one was in the $1200 range

Sandy

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Sandy,

The Guards TBD was a Porsche option to the ZF disc type LSD at some point ( I don't recall the year models off the top of my head, but do recall seeing this when I was researching alternatives to the open diff.)

Lynn

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The do have them in the form of a 915/930 carrier as well. The interesting thing is that he mentioned that they might not be what you want if a rear engine car, he said these work great in rear engine cars for autocross but not as well as the clutch type for road race work. The I mentioned that it was a mid-gt40 car and he said they work well in mid engined apps. The problem he mentioned was that they have no ability to bias in decell mode (downshift) and for the porsche folks make it more tricky to drive. For a more stable car like the GT40 (this was my injection of humor) it should work very well. He also made some good comments about a common problem with flipped boxes and reseting of the accel/decell bias as 60/40 becomes 40/60. I still would think about it but sounds right. They also make (I think they are the maker) of a bunch of gears including straight cut and dog box parts for porsches. Very nice to chat with.

Sandy

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sandy said:
He also made some good comments about a common problem with flipped boxes and reseting of the accel/decell bias as 60/40 becomes 40/60. I still would think about it but sounds right.

Sandy

To me it only sounds right if the ring gear is swapped across. When the trans is flipped as in most GT40 to obtain the lower engine position everything is still turning the same way. So no change I would think.

Cheers

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I still haven't thought about it but he may have said due to flipped R/P, but would have to think about that too, not in the plan for today ;)

Sandy

Back