Replacement removable steering boss

Trevor:
There is a nice removeable adapter made by NRG. I believe they have the bolt centers available for your wheel. I will try and post a link here but you can also google it and check it out that way.
I have used the hex and spline adapters in the past and found they all have some play no matter how well machined they are, also the hex can be mounted six ways on the hub.
The NRG unit finds the same spot every time and has zero play.
Good luck
Phil

Hi Phil

Had a look at NRG but I can't see anything that would work with my steering column. The column doesn't have any sort of thread or spline to connect the boss to so how would that work?

Is this the boss you meant?
____ NRG Short Hub - Quick Release - Nardi steering wheel installation pics - Honda-Tech

Trev

Trevor:
Here is a photo of my mounting, I had to fab an adapter hub to take the aluminum hub supplied with the removable coupler. The column in my chassis is an aluminum tube with bearings at either end, and a 3/4" steering shaft. I simply welded and pinned the adapter to the steer shaft, it was drilled and setup beforehand to take the NRG hub.
The photo isn't the greatest, but it shows what I have with the alloy hub bolted to it, and the outer hub simply connects to that.
I can tell you that wherever you mount the wheel it just needs to be turned until the keyed sequence of balls and detents meet, it always locks in the same rotational position, and there is absolutely no play. In fact if you really stress it by pulling or pushing the wheel the wheel flexes and not the connection. I got my piece on EBAY for $30.00.
I am sure there is someone near you that could make up that part. I am not familiar with the steer column in a Tornado so I can't advise you on the connection.
If you want some clearer photos just let me know.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• Steering Coupler.jpg
    Steering Coupler.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 257
Thanks Phil

I've actually sent all the steering parts to Andy at Gelscoe who said he will take a look so I am going to leave it with the experts. Sure they will come up with a good solution for this but it's good to do a little research in advance and see what options are out there

Trev

Back