Here in the Pacific Northwest, in 1974 when gas shortages were at an all time high, and finding gas anywhere was at an all time low, gas stations came up with a great idea to sell gas to people on even and odd numbered days......based on the last number of their license plate (granted, now we have all kinds of variations, and.....). :mad:

To make the reputation points system more interesting, in a Dain Bramaged kind of way, I vote to double the rep power points awarded to someone if they qualify a honorable receiver on an even numbered day......but only if the person receiving the points has a rep power under 10.:lol:

That will encourage and energize people to participate at an early stage of their membership in communications and support of the forum.:eek:

I do believe strongly in conservation and energy issues and......woops, this is an even numbered day. Being an old fart, I got to go find a jar. Never know what kind of energy I will need tomarrow.:eek:

Gary Kadrmas

Wow, I gotta quit posting after I eat spicy food.:dead:

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Shoot me if you wish, but I think this reputation system is much to do about very little. Once a newbie spends a few months on here (hopefully lurking for awhile), he/she should know who's full of knowledge, and who's just plain full of it. After newbies have this sussed, what other benefit does this system serve?

As is already evident, it is a system that's prone to abuse, because it encourages self serving mutual admiration (I'll give you one, if you give me one....) and it apparently rewards those who post in great quantity, as well those who post only great quality. Who really wants to read post after post that say only "Great Job!" "Right on", or "Yeah baby!"? But fluff like this boosts both post count, and reputation. And given the competitive nature of this lot, there will be some who really pay attention to their "scores".

Being a fairly new guy myself, I hate to be the sole dissenting voice about a system that our Mods and Admins are trying so hard to make work, but I felt this needed to be said.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Who really wants to read post after post that say only "Great Job!" "Right on", or "Yeah baby!"?
Right on John C.
I couldn't have put it better.
Dave M

Ron Earp

Admin
I moved this thread into the "forum questions" area where it really should located. Sorry I missed it earlier but I see Lynn did respond with a post explaining the system in some detail.

The Admins have discussed the rep system and we're still not sure if it'll stay or not. I do feel if used properly it can contribute to a forum community by helping to "reward" members who are contributing positively and "punish" those that don't. But it can be easily abused by just about anyone if they let their personal conflicts that exist outside the forum to affect how they treat people on the forum.

But on GT40s.com we don't have so many people that need "punishing". We've built a community with a high signal to noise ratio and it appears to be holding steady. Occasionally an admin has to ban someone that is here to stir the pot, or abuses forum systems, but that has been very infrequent at GT40s.com.

Don't be surprised if the reputation system doesn't make it through the next round of cosmetic and software upgrade features. It's worth is still being evaluated, even though it has been in effect for 3/4 of a year.

Ron

Keith

David Morton said:
Who really wants to read post after post that say only "Great Job!" "Right on", or "Yeah baby!"?
Right on John C.
I couldn't have put it better.
Dave M

Better be careful what I say, doan wont 'no redeye!

So I'll just :lol:

Ah yes,
about reputation....can I ask to some administrator why I have a blue point and what is the meaning of the explanation???
Thaks Wanni

Back