Resale values on different replica vendors

Keith

A totally standard GTD, and I mean totally standard GTD in good conition sold at auction recently for a hammer price of £42,000. After house costs it would have been about £48,000. That may be lucky but from looking at what the asking prices are for a number of GTDs recently, they do seem to be appreeciating in value again.

What I would be interested to hear thoughts on is, with a quality replica, is it more valueable in totally standard form or if it has recognised performance upgrades? Expanding that, I just bought a 1992 TVR Griffith for restoration. It is metallic black with a green interior. Not my favourite colour scheme I have to say but a freind said that if I changed the colours it would not be as valueable after the restoration as if I had kept the original colours. Thoughts welcome!

Nice car whatever the colour. To be honest, I believe you would be a tad unwise to screw with original provenance - I mean it is like giving money away isn't it? Even if you don't really believe in it it's not going to spoil your ownership THAT much by having it in such a shite colour is it? :laugh:

Just kidding but, well, if it were me I would keep it as original as possible and don't screw with it too much even though I am an indefatigable 'improver' myself!

Malcolm

Supporter
Well guess I saw an answer to my own question with a GTD being sold at Goodwood Revival today. This is an uprated car and again well presented. Including Auction House costs it went for £82,000, about £35,000 more than the standard one. Just a note of caution in that with the all GT40 race on the same day, enthusiasm in the auction could have been higher than normal. When I got my GTD the originals were only 25 or so years old. Now my car is of that vintage so it would be good if it escalates its value the same as an original has over the next 25 years..... :) Yeah right!

On the TVR front, split opinion but Racing Green nearby me say that as TVR would pretty much paint your car any colour you wanted, the effect on value of a change of colour now is more reliant on good taste rather than it being an original colour. Would you paint a GT40 replica in a TVR flip flop colour? I do hope not but if you did then the value would be severely knocked compared to a more period colour.

Back