RF Audi transaxle

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Would anyone mind furnishing info on what it takes to adapt a late-model 302/5.0 motor to an original-style ZF5DS25-2 transaxle? The bellhousing bolt pattern of the late engine is evidently different from what was on the 289/old302 motors. It seems to me if a modern bellhousing and flywheel could be used, then a modern clutch such as a Centerforce could be installed as well. Is there a source for info, part numbers etc, or has anyone done this and know the procedure and parts list?
Thanks!
Jim Rosenthal

GT40 Spares, Holman Moody, or GTD have the correct bellhousing - about $1500. McLeod make the clutch & pressure plate. Carefully measure the clearance from the input shaft end to the bottom of the counterbore in the end of the crank shaft (where the pilot bearing sits) You may need a 0.125inch spacer between the bellhousing and block. Also, the starter motor will sit quite low. Watch for interfearance between the lower starter bolt head and the lower suspension cross brace. Enjoy! Greg

G

Thanks Robert for clarifying that the 944 cannot be used in a GT40. I bought the 944 trans just because it was so cheap and I wanted to see the internal differences. Internally the Audi and 944 are identical. It turned out that the 944 trans I have had exactly the same gears/ratios as the 5N except the 944 trans had the 3.89 final drive which is now in my 5N Audi trans. I kept most of the internals that are interchangable for spare parts and put the rest out on the curb on trash day.

Ron, I still want the trans that is in Germany. Just let me know when you want the money.

G

Jim

There is no difference in the back of the engine bolt pattern between the 289/302/351
and the modern 5.0. The difference is in the
bolt pattern on the housing for the trans.

You can bolt up a modern 5.0 bell housing
and T-5 to the back of any small block Ford. But transaxles of course are completely
different. Must have special bell housing or
adapters to mate whichever engine/trans combo
is involved. This is a problem area that the
kit manufacturer is supposed to solve.

MD

Kennedy engineering makes adapters for just about any and every possible application. I don't have the number but they are located in Palmdale California.

ERA also makes a nice custom bellhousing.
Unfortunately, you have to own an ERA
to get one from them.
frown.gif
It does allow
the use of standard clutches.

It's ERA's practice to only build for their
own customers. Given the market size and low
profitability of quality kits, I cannot
argue against their decision.

Ian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Thanks!! to one and all for this information, which will make things a great deal easier to say the least. Is there an address or ph number for GT40 Spares?
Thanks again,
Jim R

G

One of our members put in the 6 speed Quaife sequential box. A seriously sexy package. He dropped hints at the costs and its scary stuff. He uses the car on the road and in competition. He doesn't expect any more gearbox problems.....Ever!

On the ZF to 302 bell housing, I have heard that a De Tomaso Panterra uses a ZF box (the wrong type apparently for 40's) but mates it to a 351. Maybe this could be used?

Malcolm

G

One of our members put in the 6 speed Quaife sequential box. A seriously sexy package. He dropped hints at the costs and its scary stuff. He uses the car on the road and in competition. He doesn't expect any more gearbox problems.....Ever!

On the ZF to 302 bell housing, I have heard that a De Tomaso Panterra uses a ZF box (the wrong type apparently for 40's) but mates it to a 351. Maybe this could be used?

Malcolm

The Pantera ZF will fit, but I believe it
needs to be flipped to fit. That's why the
bellhousing won't work in a 40.

Ian

G

I spoke to someone at Kennedy Engineering about an adaptor plate for the Audi to Ford. They don't have one but if enough people are interested they will make one. They have all the technical info on the Ford engine and Audi gearbox in house as they already do an Audi gearbox to Chevy adaptor. I don't know how many it would take, probably about a half dozen.

I still like the Renault, mainly because of the bellhousing manufactured by Tornado and I think NZ Reproductions does one as well.

Regards
Paul Campoli
Toronto, Canada

Hi all,
with regard to the bell housing for Ford 302 to ZF - I believe that Roy Lane has supplied such a casting. For those who do not know, Roy Lane is a UK based AP distributor who has excelled in hill climbs here, mainly in a Pilbeam Single seater.

regards
Paul Thompson

Sorry for the resurrection (sp). But I searched the forum here and am trying to find out if the 3U, 3T, or 3Q 5th gear sets can be swapped into the 944 box. I am finished with my swap and I have beat the piss out of the 944 NA box with 3.89 R&P. I launch beautifully in 2nd gear and haven't broke anything to my amazement. I just want a taller 5th gear for my NA box and the Audi 100-200 (0.6 & 0.64) 5th gearsets are still available from Audi at $300/set roughly..... The VAG CAT says the 3Q (0.48) set NLA.....

I designed a transmission mount that has saved the CV's and tranny from moving under the torque of the 5.3l V8 implant. I just want lower 5th RPM as I daily drive the beast....

YouTube - XSCHOP 948 Burn Out NA Tranny Assault 2nd Gear Launch
YouTube - XSCHOP 948 5.3L LS1 Intake

Last edited:
Back