rolldown side windows

Has anyone attempted to install rolldown side windows or power side windows on there 40's. I tried to do a search but not to much came up.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Steph - I thought about it for about 10 seconds... I looked at the door, the latch and handle mechanism and thought - no way... At least no way if you want the glass to be flush with the body and still use the outside door handle..

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I asked once and IIRC the reply was that one effort had been made, perhaps it was one of the original Ford GT40 MkIII street versions, but that it was not feasible for any of the modern replicas.

What a shame.....sure seems like it would be a nice option.

Doug

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm still considering doing a sliding side window - similar to the early Mini where the window was done in 2 pieces and each piece ran in a separate runner - moving forward and rearward

Probably be this summer's project

Ian

What if you were to modify the latch mechanism inside the door like a modern car, or even install a more modern latch but keep the door handle. I've looked at several pics of the door and it looks like there's lots of room in there. The only thing that would worry me would be the the reccess in the door for the clamshells air intake. because of that you would have problems mounting the glass flush. On the other hand the ford gt has rolldown windows and the side profile of the door has a close resemblance to the gt 40 and it looks like its glass is flush to the door.

Here pics of the gt and gt 40. Doors look similar, I think rolldown windows can be done.

gt%20forum%201.jpg

gt%20forum%202.jpg

images.jpg

What you need is 2CV style windows like this:

129.jpg

Where the lower part hinges up and clips to the upper, much better than the sliding idea I think, where grit and crap can get in the whole works and jam and scratch plastic.
2CV's were built like this as the door was too thin to get a pane of glass in and it would have put up the cost.
The parts needed to do windows like this can be bought from here.

And yes I am serious, sometimes.

Steph,
I also looked at doing the same thing but after looking at the doors for several hours I came to the same conclusion that everyone else has, No Way. Reason being if you look at the height of the glass required to fit the window in the closed position its greater than the lower body portion of the door where the glass would retract into, put into simple terms. If you however you come up with some great idea on how to do it please let me know also.
Thanks,
Bob

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Doug

I looked at that but my rear mirrors are on the doors - near the front of the window

The front "point" will hit the mirror when hinging outwards!

That killed that idea for me

IAn

I understand that the hight of the glass opening is larger than the hight of the door itself, but doesn't the lamborghini diablo have the same problem. When the glass goes down in all the way in the door the top of the glass still sticks out by about 2"-3"

While reading this thread, a thought popped up about the way Subaru handled the roll down window on that sports coupe of theirs in the 90's. I don't remember the model, but someone on here can enlighten us for sure. Has anyone looked at that solution...a kind of half rolldown window in a larger fixed window frame.
I'll shut up and wait for the experts to chime in.:shy:
Garry

Lotus Europas have a similar side window that sticks up a couple of inches when fully down. The Europa door is pretty close dimensionally. I would think it could be done on a GT40 especially if you made a separate fixed quarter glass panel.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
After looking at the door, I was thinking. The top part of the door is fairly wide, how about a horizontal split window with the lower part folding down flat against the top of the door. It would only open the lower portion of the window but it would be at eye level and you could pay bridge tolls and receive drive up fast food.

I have no idea how it was done or what it looked like. However I have read articles about some originals ( at most 1 0r 2) that had roll up/down windows installed and I believe it was done by Sbarro. Good luck in trying to find info on that.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Steph,
If you however you come up with some great idea on how to do it please let me know also.
Thanks,
Bob

Well, I haven't designed a mechanism yet, but how about this as a concept:

The top 1/4 of the window is a fixed panel of clear plastic/acrylic, that reduces the height of the lower window so that it might be able to be retracted fully into the door.

As I see it, the issues involve need for something to retract adequately that toll booths would not be an acrobatic exercise, and if that window could retract fully into the door that would also allow for a fellow to look smart with his arm out the window, resting comfortably on the top of the door, as he motored along. Perhaps water entry issues could be addressed by "eyebrows" such as I have seen on the spider where the top of the doors fit.

I do recall that Subaru, thought it was the STX but that didn't pan out when I did a Google image search.....but IIRC the plastic upper part of the window on that Subaru was sort of hockey-stick shaped, with the "handle" coming up the front of the window frame and the "blade" at the upper margins of the window opening.....that reduced not only the height of the glass, but the length, too....might be a way of dealing with that interference with the mirrors when they are mounted to the front of the door.

Sure wish I could remember that Subaru model, it was a swoopy, low-slung sports car, not exactly my cup of tea but IIRC it did perform well.

Doug

How about like a countach, where the window is split in half from top to bottom. the top being fixed and the bottom rolling down in the door.

you may be close, look for the Subaru SVS-L model years 1997 and earlier.
I've been looking into this recently myself, but had not put actual eyeballs on it.

While reading this thread, a thought popped up about the way Subaru handled the roll down window on that sports coupe of theirs in the 90's. I don't remember the model, but someone on here can enlighten us for sure. Has anyone looked at that solution...a kind of half rolldown window in a larger fixed window frame.
I'll shut up and wait for the experts to chime in.:shy:
Garry

There was a thread about roll down windows here some time ago, and I posited the
same idea.

The Subaru SVX had a windown in a window - here is a pic:

File:Alcyone SVX.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Countach idea would work well too:

File:Countachgold.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ian

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
you may be close, look for the Subaru SVS-L model years 1997 and earlier.

Yep, that's it--just one letter off, it's the SVX-L!

Sorta "klunky" looking the way Subaru did it, I'm sure some of us adventurous types could figure out a more attractive application on a 40'ish project.

Here's a link, one of the few photos I could find that is large enough to see how the windows are arranged [edit--Ian's photo is SO much better!!]:

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/15127-1992-Subaru-SVX.jpg

Only the bottom part of the window retracts into the door, the top part is a fixed panel.

Might work?????

Doug

Last edited:
Back