S.V.A test for Britsh Cars

Brian,
The rules are set to change from the 1st April (very funny from VOSA). However, I got this from the draft on their site.

5.1 Roller Brake Test
A vehicle that incorporates an adjustment device
(eg pedal linkage balance bar) that adjusts the
front/rear braking ratio (longitudinal brake
distribution) must be tested in the “worst case”
condition, ie maximum rear axle braking.
NOTE: Devices that allow further adjustment, eg
lock nuts/adjustable stops, split pins, will not, in
isolation be considered as capable of preventing
further adjustment to a "worse" condition. (A roll
pin will be considered acceptable providing it
penetrates the full diameter of the component.)
The vehicle presenter may be required to adjust
any such device in order to comply with this
condition prior to the brake performance test.

If you don't have a copy of the manual ring them on 0870 6060440

Brett

My understanding is that that flexible brake pipes ie Aeroquip etc should be kept to a minimum & only used to connect from hard line copper pipe across the wishbones to the calipers.
So the flexibles you have used from the pedal box/master cylinders probably won't pass. Also, all brake pipes & cables should be clipped to the chassis every 12", even if they are airborne! apparently they are quite hot on this. Can anyone confirm or update on this?

Brian,
Brett and Paul have given good advice and you would be well advised to carefully read the SVA bible.Do make sure all brake lines are securely fixed with non abraiding clips and that your flexible hoses cannot foul wheels, tyres shock absorbers, springs, driveshafts etc, etc.Things are changing and anyone building a 40 in particular would be advised to get on with it ASAP before the next rules come in.Altering your car after the test to how it was originally designed to look will soon be a no-go and this is of concern to several of my customers who want the correct look for their new builds.
Trying to make a 917 SVA passable is a nightmare but it has given me further insight into "big brothers" continual clampdowns on constructors and the days are definitely numbered for original looks vehicles.

Regards,

Graham @ GTA Racing.

Thanks guys

for your info, it looks like its two steps back again and some serious reading of the S.V.A test manual.
(any one out there requiring about 6 meters of brake line,fittings,and a tilton pedalbox?)

Brian,

maybe you should speak to Mark Sibley at MDA, I think he's put several '40's through the SVA test so should be able to help you further.

Simon

I know of one car that passed recently with full flexible brake lines and not a hard line in sight.

The test took over 6 hours, so was thorough, and the car did not fail on this aspect.

Finding a way of securing the balance bar to the satisfaction of the examiner for the purposes of the test shouldn't be a problem, but as previous contributors have said, the rules are constantly changing.

Didn't Nigel Dean get his Ultima through with the GTRs balance bar? I think the issue may arise if you can manually alter it with ease i.e use the control knob. However if yoiu fixed ity for the test... Can anyone confirm?

Brett

Brett,
You are correct. The adjuster must not be operable by the driver and has to be locked or sealed in.

Graham @ GTA

PS, you have private mail.

I can also confirm this. On the CAV, the adjuster had to be set "permanently" in place.

Rick

Back