Scratch built Mark 1

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
For your viewing pleasure, check out page 35 of the Jan. 2005 Hot Rod magazine. There is a excellent picture of our forum member Jim Dunham's scratch built Mark 1. Congratulations to Jim, for the coverage, and the excellent workmanship. I also like the headline " he makes us all look like chumps".
Great job Jim !!!!!!!
Regards Brian

Thanks Brian - I must not take all the credit. There have been several Forum members who have been a huge help on this project including Fran Hall and Chris Melia. Their help along with Bill Rowe, Brian Nao, Fran Kress, and Safir GT40 Engineering (Bob Wood and Ellis Hubbard), my dad, Dan Kantrow, Dave Brown, and several others have made it all possible.

There are two awesome pages showing images of Jim's chassis build here:

Chassis photos

Amazing stuff - I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished article/work of art.

Rob

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Projects and pictures like that are amazing and prove to me just how much more I have to learn! Neat, cool, wow!

Hi Jim

I for one would like to add that you have been more than helpful to my own project and its very much appreciated. It's guys like you that restore my faith in humanity and stand as a lesson to us all that with the right friends and determination you will achieve your goal, well done.

Best regards

Chris.

My David Brown mono under construction and original pattern body parts.Plus fist view of my porsche 908K model on page 2.
Happy Christmas to all

regards
Chris.
web page

[ QUOTE ]
My David Brown mono under construction and original pattern body parts.Plus fist view of my porsche 908K model on page 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mightily impressed on both counts Chris. Yes, I'm warming to the Porsche.

Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you (and to everyone on the forum).

Rob

Chris - the GT40 photos and 908 project look wonderful! I would love to build a 908 next! Thanks for posting and making the pictures available - I am energized again!

hi Jim

The GT40 MK1 and the Porsche 908 were responsible for the best Le Mans GT race ever in 1969, swapping position for the lead over and over all the way to the finish. The Porsche 908 project will have a 3 litre 911 engine and trans but this will be the only departure from the original car.
I have original uprights and suspension arms and intend building the chassis to the factory drawings, any additional drawings you may have would be most useful.
I intend to keep the weight to under 1500lbs which is the essence of the Porsche and maintain a total minimalist approach, to maintain the power to weight ratio I.E. no stereo or air con.
The Porsche should be an easy build with no radiator or cooling pipes, and no gearbox to engine adapter plates.
Just let me know when to start getting your GT40 body made as they take about 6 weeks to turn around.

Regards
Chris.

Most body shells have been splashed from an original. Jim built his chassis from scratch. I've personally seen it and the authenticity is incredible.

WOW! Jim, I just went through every page and that is fantastic. There is so much talent on this forum it is awe inspiring. Here I am challenged by where to drill the hole for a brake cable in my GT40 chassis!

Back