Screw In vs Press In vs Bolt In Ball Joints

I realize that if you are utilizing control arms that came with the car, only one of these would be the appropriate fit.

But if you were building your own control arms, is one of these preferred to another?

Hi Derek,

Though there's much good information to be had on this forum, I don't know if you're aware of other sites a bit more oriented to scratch builders.

LocostUSA.com Index page might also be a good place to ask this question.
There's also:
LocostBuilders but press or screw in in ball joints I think are not common in the self-build car world outside of the USA.

Derek
I can tell you that using the screw-in ball joints works well. The mounting sleeves available are easily joined to the wishbones, and there is much more room available around the ball joint as you don't need a flat plate for bolts which needs to be wide enough to accommodate the bolt up.
There are plenty of screw-in ball joints available, and also mono bolts with availability of spacing the shaft to change geometry slightly.
Most of the racing supply catalogs like Coleman etc. have these available, and most screw-in ball joints are available across the counter at the local parts supply.
Good Luck
Phil

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I had screw in ball-joints in the upper control arms of my FFR Cobra replica racecar. Even though they were torqued, they kept backing out. Finally said the heck with it and tack welded them. End of story. So - if you use them - keep an eye on them.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, that should never happen!

Sounds like something was mismatched or incorrectly machined. Did you investigate to find out why?

I suppose once the weld fixed it, you didn't bother.

Are we talking about tie rod type ball joints, or something entirely different?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, that should never happen!

Sounds like something was mismatched or incorrectly machined. Did you investigate to find out why?

I suppose once the weld fixed it, you didn't bother.

Are we talking about tie rod type ball joints, or something entirely different?

Chrysler style balljoints - screwed in from the top in "Pole Position" adjustable upper control arms as shown in an older picture of my FFR below. No mismatch or poor machining. Highly documented problem that is common with these style control arms and balljoints. They work very well and with the addition of one small tack weld there was no further cause for concern.

IMG_0262.jpg

Hi Derek,

Though there's much good information to be had on this forum, I don't know if you're aware of other sites a bit more oriented to scratch builders.

LocostUSA.com Index page might also be a good place to ask this question.
There's also:
LocostBuilders but press or screw in in ball joints I think are not common in the self-build car world outside of the USA.

Thanks for the tips on this, the Locost site has been a wealth of info.

I like the idea of the screw in ball joint with a tack weld to ensure it doesn't try to back out.

Back