Seat option I think some may like.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Although I prefer the look and fit of the Recaro style seat (like the Corbeau), I have written the company you mentioned here as the seat is just a bit too wide and might compress enough on the sides to work (it's 470mm and we have about 455 to work with I believe).

Will let the group know what they have to say.

Thanks!

When I was chasing them they said they would make up anything to order but needed a car there to make it fit!

Damn difficult to drive a car 100 miles with no number plates and no seats - needed seats to get through inspection so a chicken and egg situation!

Ian

If you can get a set for cheap the lotus Elise/Exige seats would probably fit.

From a quick search:

DIMENSIONS WITHIN -10mm+
880mm High without runners
485mm Widest point at the back of the seat where the wings are
420mm Widest point at its base
320mm Approx the runners width

The reason btw I say for cheap is that they seem to run to quite silly money, to the extent that it becomes not worth getting them over a custom GT40 specific pair!

The Lotus seats will fit, but you'll need to fab up attachment points. You can find sellers over at at Lotus Talk dot com, or at British Speed dot com, but you have to work fast as they usually go quickly. A lot of the Miata owners snatch them up for their cars.

I sold the seats from my Elise after I bought the Tillletts. They sold faster than I could blink.

I have also seen Toyota MR2 seats in a Tornado

Ian

I looked into those and could find a year that would fit. They all seemed to be too wide at the base. Thinking maybe the person altered them or there was a specific year where they were narrower perhaps.

Have you looked at the Racetech seats.
Seats : Racetech North America, Racing Seats
There are at least two of us that have them in our 40s. The one that fits best is the "Saker" seat. It leans back at the same angle as the firewall. Has the cutouts for lap, shoulder and crotch belts.The parent company is in New Zealand.
RTSAKER : Racetech North America, Racing Seats
The site page gives you all the dimensions you could ever want. A different finish can be had by an upholsterer. I particularly like them because they hug you, and your hips are not going to move around as they do with some of the "original" seats. Riding in some you feel you need to hang on to something when cornering. I am 5-9, 160 and fits like a glove. They are not adjustable, but the mounting hardware(heavy gauge aluminum) can be altered if a different position is desired. I left mine on the standard setting and it is just what I wanted. Here is how they look in my car.
P1010116.jpg

P1010121-2.jpg

P1010117.jpg

The Racetech seats are nice but as you said, they aren't adjustable and I really want that. Hopefully either the place Ian mentioned or Corbeau will do something for us.

Send a Pm to Brian Snelling as the MR2 seats were in his car

You could try Brian ( http://www.gt40s.com/forum/members/brian-snelling.html )
but he hasn't been on in 6 years and he's sold his car to Trevor Skedge http://www.gt40s.com/forum/members/trevsked.html who's been active in the last few days.

Just a picture would probably tell the story, mk1, 2 and 3 seats are very different.

After having a quick look at how cheap they are on ebay I'm quite tempted to get a set as a temporary build set just so I have something to sit in the cockpit. :)

When I was chasing them they said they would make up anything to order but needed a car there to make it fit!

Damn difficult to drive a car 100 miles with no number plates and no seats - needed seats to get through inspection so a chicken and egg situation!

Ian

They got back to me and told me:

1) They would make the size we need
2) They would not offer the adjustment for a LHD car

So, if you only want one seat adjustable, and that is the driver's seat in a RHD car, or the passenger's seat in a LHD car, then you are in business.

As for me, the hunt continues. Ugh! LOL

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
They got back to me and told me:

1) They would make the size we need
2) They would not offer the adjustment for a LHD car

So, if you only want one seat adjustable, and that is the driver's seat in a RHD car, or the passenger's seat in a LHD car, then you are in business.

As for me, the hunt continues. Ugh! LOL

Strange

Instead of reaching with your left hand to change your seat position is it not possible you could reach and do the same with your left?

Both seats are the same size!

Ian

Strange

Instead of reaching with your left hand to change your seat position is it not possible you could reach and do the same with your left?

Both seats are the same size!

Ian

You could yes, and I thought about that, but it is odd that it would be that way as I've never had a LHD seat work like that as well as I can recall. I might still go with them in the end, but I really, really, wanted more of the Recaro style seat with the side bolsters and slots for the belts.

Side note: That got me to thinking, here is my wish list for the GT40 (pie in the sky on some of them).

1) Recaro style seats
2) Front air dam like those who modify the GT40 for racing use (lower area has a lip...something like this but not as pronounced for use on the street: http://image.kitcarmag.com/f/kit-ca...-world-premiere-of-the-backdraft-gt-in-th.jpg)
3) Seating area tall enough for me without using a bubble
4) ABS (I know some folks just threw up reading this)
5) Paddle shifter with rev matching like my Z (apples to oranges, but it would be awesome)
6) Functional side windows
7) Keyless entry

1, 2, and 3 I am getting done. The rest I guess I can live without! LOL

Darrinps
I do not see anywhere in the posts as to what brand of chassis you have.

I have an RF with a 1" drop floor, I made my seats because I didnt want a bubble whern I wear a helmet.
The seat is 15mm of the floor on tracks,the frames are sheet and tube with foam and covered in cloth, Iwent to this trouble because of my height ect 6'.

I agree with David
I cant see how you will acheive the head to roof clearances with any sprung base seat.
You say you realy want the adjustment but as you are over 6" you will most likely have it up against the rear firewall so it pretty much defeats the purpose.
If the laying down feeling bothers you it will go away,these cars are ergonomicly up the shit, you get used to it.

You would do better to round up a few seats on loan that do fit and dummy fit to find out the reality of space in these cars.

WHATS ABS
Paddle shifter, isnt that for a canoe.

PS I wouldnt put that air dam on until you have driven it on the street for a while as you may change your mind about that one.
These cars have a lot of front overhang,most things around the front will be history.

Jim

Last edited:
ABS = Anti-lock Brake System

I have a GTForte on order.

The seats I am contemplating sit very low. Talking two inches of padding after compression. If I have to go the bubble route I will, but I want to see if I can avoid it first.

The air dam I am talking about looks a lot like this but just not nearly as pronounced (see second image...one from BDR): Ford GT40 Kits and Bodies

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
ABS = Anti-lock Brake System

I have a GTForte on order.

The seats I am contemplating sit very low. Talking two inches of padding after compression. If I have to go the bubble route I will, but I want to see if I can avoid it first.

The air dam I am talking about looks a lot like this but just not nearly as pronounced (see second image...one from BDR): Ford GT40 Kits and Bodies

Get yourself to someone on this site that has a car and sit in it. Ask really nice for a drive in it as a passenger and watch how the owner avoids crunching the already low nose on the driveway / Kerb etc the nose is already low and you will scrape it on road use.

If ir is purely for the track then you could put on the dam but expect it to scrape even at the track

Ian

Ian

Thanks for the concern, and I hear you! It's not that pronounced of a spoiler (the photo showed one much longer). I've owned low riding cars all my life. A 370Z now (5" clearance), and even a lowered Ford King Cobra with a chin spoiler WAY back in the day (lower than the Z). Yes, they are a pain. I live in TX now though...flat...and as long as I avoid the curbs in parking lots (which just caused my 370 to suffer it's first scrape, albeit so low you cannot see it really) it's not really that bad. If it gets to be, I'll adjust it and repaint.

Darn good idea about riding in one locally though. Guess I should start looking through the directory for folks in the DFW area.

Thanks!

Get yourself to someone on this site that has a car and sit in it. Ask really nice for a drive in it as a passenger and watch how the owner avoids crunching the already low nose on the driveway / Kerb etc the nose is already low and you will scrape it on road use.

If ir is purely for the track then you could put on the dam but expect it to scrape even at the track

Ian

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Clearance will be over an inch less than your 370z
Standard starting point for most Gt40's is 4 inch front chassis rail and4.5 inch at the rear.

On top of that the front overhang is longer than some other cars so easier to scrape especially under breaking

Ian

Back