Sebring Grid

David and 'pro' diesel guys,

I understand the Audi gets a displacement advantage per the rules, correct?
Also, that the fuel is hardly "the stuff running out the BBQ", the fuel is highly refined, is it not?..... As in ..... it is as expensive to produce as gasoline if not more so. If this is the case what is the advantage of this technology?

Oh, and if the turbines were so powerful per weight, what was thier downfall? (before my time).

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mesa,
The fuel was a subject for discussion here on GT40s previously but without referring back to it, it is refined by Shell from Natural Gas and the price is around £16 per gallon (say $28).
I'll try and find the ACO rules about diesel engines and displacement and come back. There are arguments about equivalency between diesel and petrol and I think this has resulted in the smaller fuel tank in the diesel (81 litres which equates to 21.4 US gallons [I think])
As an aside, I just read an account of Thrust SSC at Bonneville - here is the link - ThrustSSC - The fastest car in the world fascinating re aerodynamics.
I'd love to see what a twin pack P&W PT6 would do in a car. I believe it was originally developed for power stations in northern climes but has went on to be arguably the most successful aeroplane engine ever. Even the APU on the 747-400 series uses something similar. My chief engineer in Jersey described the PT6 by saying it could run an just about anything from Petrol to Artic Diesel and if you could find a way of getting chicken shit through the injectors the PT6 would handle it.
I'll find out some more on displacement and come back with it - maybe on Monday.

Mesa,

I don't know what type of actual petroleum distillate fuel the R10 burns.

In general diesels burn #2 oil, read home heating oil with slightly less paraffin wax to help prevent gelling in cold weather.

Diesel fuel has more BTU per gallon than gas. Hence the smaller tank.
Diesel 138700 BTU gal.
Kerosene/JET A 135000 BTU gal.
Gasoline 125000 BTU gal.

Dave,

The 747 APU Is a Garret 731 Turbofan core derivitive.

Turbine engines will run on practically anything that is liquid and flammable.

I'm thinking sports racing cars don't use turbines because of the extremely high fuel demand.

Hope this helps,

Best,
Scott

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
There was a Turbine car sold at Christies at Le Mans classic last year

Pics I managed to get!

Ian

Attachments

• Roll 94 - 1.jpeg
    Roll 94 - 1.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 270
  • Roll 93 - 2.jpeg
    Roll 93 - 2.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Roll 92 - 3.jpeg
    Roll 92 - 3.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 257

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
p1 and p2. in LMP,
p1 and p4 overall.
A really exciting race. IMHO.
QED
quod ego dico

W5
:pepper:

Last edited:
Congradulation's David !

:mad:

Hopefully the gentlemans rivalry will continue !
Will you be visiting LRP in July ?
You are welcome to stop by the RV for an ice cold Hieneken & BBQ.

Regards,
Scott

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Scott,
I wish I could but it's F1 at Silverstone on the same weekend.
The Heineken and BBQ sounds so inviting as well.
regards,
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Peter Fordemann has replied to me about the diesel fuel. He was kind enough to give me some info after the LM 2006 but this is the gist of what he said today:
Well, the specs are not a secret as we do have them available for our resellers and teams. Remember what was discussed on this forum last year after Le Mans. Just refer to the official ACO specs, this info should be good as a starter...

So the information is there with the ACO and the teams.
I'll now see what the ACO have as info.
Dave M

The starting grid at Sebring

1 Biela/Pirro/Werner (Audi R10 TDI) 1m 44.974s :pepper:
2 Capello/Kristensen/McNish (Audi R10 TDI) 1m 45.326s :pepper:

3 Dumas/Bernhard/Castroneves (Porsche) 1m 46.046s
4 Brabham/Johansson/Dayton (Acura/Honda) 1m 47.109s
5 Wallace/Leitzinger/Lally (Porsche) 1m 47.130s
6 Herta/Franchitti/Kanaan (Acura/Honda) 1m 47.423s
7 Dyson/Smith (Porsche) 1m 48.175s
8 Fernandez/Diaz/Martinez (Lola-Acura/Honda), 1m 48.417s
9 Maasssen/Briscoe/Collard (Porsche) 1m 50.185s
10 Bach/Devlin/Matos (Lola) 1m 50.312s

Now lets see how they fare in the race it's self.

When I worked at a race shop based at the old Bridgehampton Circuit on Long Island in New York, one of our customers was Andy Lally (in the 5 spot on the grid.) Great guy to work with - lots of enthusiasm and really easy to get along with. I don't watch TV so I can't watch racing anymore, but I wish I could...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
ALMS Longbeach Today

Ingolstadt, 14 April 2007

Audi claim good grid Positions in Long Beach

Dindo Capello quickest in the LM P1 class
Audi drivers net positions four and six on the grid
Tight qualifying on the Long Beach street circuit
The two Audi R10 TDI sportscars start the third round of the American Le Mans Series in Long Beach (US state of California) as fastest LM P1 prototypes from the second and the third rows of the grid. In qualifying on Friday, Dindo Capello drove his 650 hp Audi R10 TDI to the fourth fastest time behind three lighter LM P2 sports cars. In sunny and warm conditions, Emanuele Pirro in the "sister” Audi was second in the LM P1 category and sixth overall. He was only 0.067 seconds behind fifth place.

After the double win of the Audi R10 TDI in the city race in St. Petersburg two weeks ago, the race on the former Formula One track in California is the second street race in succession. In the first appearance of the American Le Mans Series in Long Beach, the preparation for the drivers and technicians was very difficult. For all four Audi drivers, the challenging track in the harbour area of Long Beach was a new challenge with only a 45 minute practice session before qualifying. With a length of 1:40 hours, Saturday’s race is the shortest in the history of the ALMS.

The race in Long Beach starts on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. local time (01:00 p.m. in Germany).

Quotes after qualifying

Dindo Capello (Audi R10 TDI #1):
"At the start of qualifying our Audi was really good but the tyre performance dropped off as the session progressed making it impossible to improve on my best time. As in the previous street race at St Petersburg, the LM P2 cars showed they are faster than an LM P1 car on this type of track. I believe we’ll struggle in the race to keep up with their pace.”

Allan McNish (Audi R10 TDI #1): "A big factor is that it’s a totally new circuit to everyone in the team and to only have 45 minutes practise before qualifying was tough but it was the same for the majority of our rivals. With the Audi R10 TDI we quickly found a good base set-up and then made minor adjustments. Dindo got the best out of the R10 TDI in qualifying.”

Emanuele Pirro (Audi R10 TDI #2): "It has been a very competitive qualifying. With the tyres you could do more than one quick lap, so it was a case of staying out and trying to find the perfect lap. We are still missing a little speed compared to the top 3 cars. But I think we are looking good for the race. I am satisfied with my performance but not particularly my position. As we saw in St. Petersburg, we should improve in the race.”

Marco Werner (Audi R10 TDI #2): "I expect a tough race because the times in qualifying were close. Due to their lower weight, I think the LM P2 cars have a small advantage in the training but I hope that it will look different in the race. Emanuele drove a lot in the free practise so we decided to make a driver change in qualifying which is unusual. That allowed me to learn the track a little more.”

Dave Maraj (Team Director Audi Sport North America): "Qualifying confirmed that once again on a street circuit, the LM P2 cars are going to make it very tough for us in the race for outright honours. The drivers will have to work the traffic hard. The team must come up with a very good race strategy in this unusually short race. The tight hairpin is ‘hurting’ our lap times but we relish the challenge.”

The starting grid in Long Beach

1 Herta/Franchitti (Acura/Honda) 1m 11.838s
2 Maassen/Briscoe (Porsche) 1m 12.144s
3 Bernhard/Dumas (Porsche) 1m 12.247s
4 Capello/McNish (Audi R10 TDI) 1m 12.713s (1st LM P1)
5 Brabham/Johansson/Dayton (Acura/Honda) 1m 12.844s
6 Pirro/Werner (Audi R10 TDI) 1m 12.911s (2nd LM P1)
7 Fernandez/Diaz (Lola-Acura/Honda) 1m 13.148s
8 Wallace/Leitzinger (Porsche) 1m 13.417s
9 Dyson/Smith (Porsche) 1m 14.006s
10 Lewis/McMurry (Lola) 1m 17.158s

Communication Motorsport
Telephone +49 (0)841 89 34200,Telefax +49 (0)841 89 38617
[email protected]

Photographs, sound bites and additional information available on the Internet:
www.audi-motorsport.info (Accreditation necessary)

x.gif
x.gif
x.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
ALMS Longbeach Today

And a release from Alan McNish:

ALMS Long Beach Qualifying Report
The diesel-powered Audi of Allan McNish and co-driver Dindo Capello starts the third round of the American Le Mans Series in Long Beach on Saturday evening (14 Apr) from fourth place on the grid.

Italian Capello set a fastest time of 1min 12.713secs (97.45mph) in today’s (FRI) 25-minute qualifying session around the 1.968-mile temporary street circuit located in a coastal town close to Los Angeles.

McNish, 37, and Capello, start the 100-minute race - the shortest in the championship's history - aiming to score a second consecutive race victory which would earn them the championship lead.

"Long Beach is new to me personally as a driver, Audi Sport North America and the championship," confirmed McNish who along with Capello steered their Audi R10 TDI to victory in the previous race at St Petersburg (31 Mar).

"We only had 45 minutes practice before qualifying which was tough but that was the same for the majority of our rivals. With the Audi R10 TDI we quickly found a good base set-up and then made minor adjustments. Dindo got the best out of the R10 TDI in qualifying to be the fastest LM P1 car."

"As in the previous street race at St Petersburg, the LM P2 cars showed they are faster than an LM P1 car on this type of track which is unusually wide in places for a street circuit."

The "sister" Audi Sport North America R10 TDI of Emanuele Pirro (I) and Marco Werner (D) starts from sixth on the 26-car grid having set a time of 1min 12.911secs (97.19mph). The LM P2 class Acura of McNish's fellow Scot Dario Franchitti starts from pole-position (1:11.838secs, 98.64mph).

The race starts at 12 midnight BST on Saturday.

Back