Shock Spring Rates and/or Length Changes

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'd recommend the 750lb with the Ricardo. Fran told me he used that spring in his personal car. If it's street only then you might get by with 650lb. Mine was too close to coil bind and I had no more height adjustment left. It was still too low for my taste.

Allan forwarded me the link...and I just ordered the 8" 750lb Eibach springs from Pitstop USA...

Summit carries them too and will price match if you prefer that route.

No options as there are too many variables...

We simply cannot inventory all the potentials I am afraid...

600 front with the lift kit option , 650 front and rear otherwise.

We run anything from 800-900lbs with a track day car and upto 1100lbs with the full race cars...obviously this depends upon weather and tyre choice

I installed one new spring last night and found that when the rear of the car is jacked up and the susp. is in full droop the new spring makes slight contact with the upper frame rail. Has anybody noted the same - even the stock spring is millimeters away from that rail. I stared at it for a moment and called it a night - it was late. Any impressions-suggestions.

Pictures noted below: spring comparison, spring external diameter dimension, spring clearances, stock and with new spring (blue). The stock springs are silver.

Attachments

• blue installed.JPG
    blue installed.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 236
  • blue clearance.JPG
    blue clearance.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 208
  • silver clearance.JPG
    silver clearance.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 180
  • silver calip dims.JPG
    silver calip dims.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 205
  • blue calip dims.JPG
    blue calip dims.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 195
  • blue-silver spring.JPG
    blue-silver spring.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 205

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Not all springs are equal. I had other brands besides the QA1 springs, and they appeared to be of finer wire, but fewer turns for the same rate. When I replaced them with a QA product, the wire was heavier gauge, with more turns, and I was (still am) concerned about binding due to the lack of interwinding turn-spacing. So far they seem to be working okay, but it was a bit concerning, and they were slightly larger on the OD. The more turns the spring has, the thicker the wire must be to carry the same rating.

I'm thinking about swapping to the 750lbs as well.

My SLC is for the street. Is the ride feel is much stiffer with the 750lb springs?
The Swift springs (8" 750lbs) that I just installed don't make contact with the frame like you described.

I installed one new spring last night and found that when the rear of the car is jacked up and the susp. is in full droop the new spring makes slight contact with the upper frame rail. Has anybody noted the same - even the stock spring is millimeters away from that rail. I stared at it for a moment and called it a night - it was late. Any impressions-suggestions.

Pictures noted below: spring comparison, spring external diameter dimension, spring clearances, stock and with new spring (blue). The stock springs are silver.

I installed the other spring and found that if one spins the spring say 90* the gap opens up at that frame rail spring rub location. So, the spring diameter doesn't/shouldn't change much, but the location of the springs widest diameter (re: rub location at rail) shifts to an area of more clearance. In a perfect world you should be able to spin the spring 360* and not get any rubbing. I have marked the high/low spot on the spring itself and need to keep the spring orientation static while turning and adjusting the turnbuckles. I figured a posting of my "Duh" moment may assist others. Maybe the Swift Springs are slightly smaller in OD and will freely spin 360* without any rub in full droop, they do cost approx. $100.00 more.

Don't know if your shocks will allow it, but on a different unrelated setup I've switched from 2 1/2" i.d. springs to 2 1/4" to gain some clearance. If you are good with a lathe you can turn the collars down to fit the springs, or buy them if you can find them.

Don't know if your shocks will allow it, but on a different unrelated setup I've switched from 2 1/2" i.d. springs to 2 1/4" to gain some clearance. If you are good with a lathe you can turn the collars down to fit the springs, or buy them if you can find them.

Hmmmm, I don't have a lathe but there might be enough room around the shock to do this.

Mark - when I was building my Brunton Stalker I had a couple communications with a M Brooks regarding the GM 3800 motor, oil pressure setting spring, adapter plate misc... are you the same Brooks?

I'm thinking about swapping to the 750lbs as well.

My SLC is for the street. Is the ride feel is much stiffer with the 750lb springs?

Bill - I put on about 60 miles yesterday with the new Hyperco 8" 750lb. rear springs. IMO the ride is a little stiffer but not enough to be crazy jarring. We generally have well maintained good roads around here. On smooth roads it is barely perceivable - on crappy bump ridden or cement roads with expansion joints - one could tell the difference.

If you are mostly into cruising and happy with the current feel of your shocks/springs you may just want to consider getting the longer 8" spring in 650lb rating. Or, I see that Swift, Eibach, Hyperco also has the 8" length in 700 & 750lb. rates. For a slightly softer ride I might have optioned for the 700lb. spring. You have the G50 box which may be about 25lbs lighter than my G96.50

I will tell you that I took the car on my favorite road that has sharp turns, big elevation changes, sweepers, dips, bumps you name it; and felt like I was getting speeds about 10-15 mph faster than usual with confidence - no OS hair-ball moments. The car tended to go and do what I asked of it.

We have used Hypercoil, QA1 and Eibach with no clearance issues...so maybe a Swift issue.

I dont think there is enough room on the QA1 shck to go dowwn to a 2 1/4 ID spring...

I've had QA1s, Swift and Hypercoils on my car; all had excellent clearance to frame.

It only happens when the car is jacked up and suspension in full droop - when the car is dropped no issues. The picture above (blue spring) ain't lying and the spring(s) comparison measurements are negligible - color me baffled.

Back